Next Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Hi all,

So, a little background before I post my question....

In August of last year, I found a little device called an Arduino Nano. I thought it was going to be ever so easy, according to the advert, I can programme any pin to be anything, simple to use...

So I found out I had to learn how to programme in C#
(I have not programmed since the early 1980s)

Anyhow I have progressed through the nano, the Uno and the mega.

I have a reversing alarm in my car running on Arduino. I also have a light switching circuit using a 2.5" touch screen and another nano.

I recently built a 6way articulated robot on my desk. And modified an Arduino smart car kit to be a sound and movement avoiding autonomous target that I can let loose around the industrial park and hunt with my guns...

It even scores on position and sends it by wireless to my pc....

So, as you can guess I am a card carrying geek....:danger:

So I now have a variety of brand new branded batteries. I would like to build an Arduino based battery charger and analyser.

Has anyone done anything like this, and are there any pointers before I start?

Again, I want either Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity. I am also planning on sticking bar codes on the batteries, so it will always append the data to the correct data-log so I can print a full report of every useful value and it's change over time.

For a start, what are the useful values, and are there any project that can be used as a start point?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi all,

So, a little background before I post my question....

In August of last year, I found a little device called an Arduino Nano. I thought it was going to be ever so easy, according to the advert, I can programme any pin to be anything, simple to use...

So I found out I had to learn how to programme in C#
    (I have not programmed since the early 1980s)

Anyhow I have progressed through the nano, the Uno and the mega.

I have a reversing alarm in my car running on Arduino. I also have a light switching circuit using a 2.5" touch screen and another nano.

I recently built a 6way articulated robot on my desk. And modified an Arduino smart car kit to be a sound and movement avoiding autonomous target that I can let loose around the industrial park and hunt with my guns...

It even scores on position and sends it by wireless to my pc....

So, as you can guess I am a card carrying geek....:danger:

So I now have a variety of brand new branded batteries. I would like to build an Arduino based battery charger and analyser.

Has anyone done anything like this, and are there any pointers before I start?

Again, I want either Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity. I am also planning on sticking bar codes on the batteries, so it will always append the data to the correct data-log so I can print a full report of every useful value and it's change over time.

For a start, what are the useful values, and are there any project that can be used as a start point?

Check YouTube. IIRC, there were some Arduino based battery analyzer projects. But your standard Google searches should come up with some stuff too.

Capacity is easy to check but internal resistance can be really tough to measure accurately and consistently. Your contacts for the battery will be critical.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Thank you for your help...

I have had a real good look and seen several projects up to now.

Fortunately as I work with pulse generators, I have access to FETs and drivers up to 180amp per device, but more importantly I have access to a lot of small devices. So components to build the unit are not a problem. I also have a mini mill for the PCBs, so stable electronics are not a problem.

I use Arduino as a prototype platform and so have a few of them laying around.

I think I will use a mega, purely because of the number of analogue inputs, and the three serial ports.

I can run a small 2.5" touch screen for solo operation, but also use a USB connection to a pc so I can properly store data, and perform different tests.

Interestingly there seems to be some battery analysers and some charges, but not both together. So I shall probably graft programmes and then use relay switch over between modes.

As far as the battery connection..... I have an idea of ground steel stock, phosphor bronze bushes (and only dry graphite lubricant). And if I use brass m6 bolts for the contacts, I can replace them regularly, and have a known conductance...

I must admit, this is a project of pure experimental hobby, just to see what I can do..... So no one tell me I don't need this:lol:
    I do :w00t:

It would be nice to be able to either print a forensic quality test report, or simply give a category, so I could post test results that even a complete noob can follow....

All from a single device.... Tis going to be an interesting project. ...:danger:

Reactions: Mooch

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    15526903962347459995471744749704.jpg
    When it is done, I shall post a complete list of parts, circuits, (in all formats including G-CODE)
    I will even post the software, and the STL files of the case..... I will 3d print that.

I joined at want to see how precise it can get....

If it were not for bloody python, and having to relearn all the pins, I would push the boat out and go for a PI, although I think the beaglebone is faster..... (I may have one, will have a look)o_O

Ooh, found it quicker than expected, on the shelf between my radio set, and my guns.....

(I may have to go and have a serious talk with myself:pervy:)

But seriously, my callsign on the radio is M6PPE and am usually found somewhere in the HF band...

And my guns are all legally held :thumbs:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread