Ni - chrome vs. kanthal

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer642

Oct 21, 2014
Greensburg, PA
Hi again everyone recently a friend and I were having a vape session at his local vape shop and we were on the topic of different types of resistance wire you all know well probably know the types we were discussing mainly g - plat, kanthal (obviously lol) and then also Ni - chrome wire. I personally won't buy g plat too expensive Imo and far as I know they won't even tell you what the stuff is made of, not my cup of tea but some of you out there may love it but the main discussion was kanthal vs. Ni - chrome wire. I had never used nichrome just straight kanthal for me and his opinion on the nichrome is that he had purchased a 250 ft spool of 26awg nichrome and every build he made with it just as he put it tasted like metal so he gave me the hardly touched 250 ft spool, awesome for me free wire but will it taste horrible ? I tried it several ways one way just torched and 7 wraps around a 5/64 rod and the other I twisted in a drill 2 strands of it as tight as possible (basically until it breaks off) and I kinda like it lol. It seems to be slightly softer then 26awg kanthal and very easy to work with and makes great flavor ! I would love to hear anyone else's opinions on wire types and gauges. All things wire, please post your opinions and experiences with any type of resistance wire

Happy vaping Everyone! !

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Some people get a bad taste from NiChrome, some from Kanthal and some can use either one without issues. NiChrome has a lower resistance per gauge vs Kanthal. NiChrome comes is several alloys, the two most common are NiChrome 60 and 80. The 60 contains iron and the 80 does not. Not certain which one you have but both are a bit more malleable than Kanthal with the N80 being the easiest to work with.

Last edited:

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Some people get a bad taste from NiChrome, some from Kanthal and some can use either one with issues. NiChrome has a lower resistance per gauge vs Kanthal. NiChrome comes is several alloys, the two most common are NiChrome 60 and 80. The 60 contains iron and the 80 does not. Not certain which one you have but both are a bit more malleable than Kanthal with the N80 being the easiest to work with.
Forgot to mention that SS316 has lower resistance than both nichrome and kanthal and is more malleable as well. It allows for larger surface area coils while mainting a very low resistance.

tank49

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
North Cali
+1 thanks for info. I bought some SS316 after some more research, & NiChrome 80, both in 24g for now, to get better vapes w/24g single wire coils (& parallels) w/mechs.

Still havent tried the 24g Titanium wire i got for the DNA 40 temp control yet, wasn't impressed with the thin Nickel 200 wire for temp control, but it sure was interesting to see that as long as wick was saturated temps were so low that temp control never even came close to kicking in.

Am happily using my 2 batt DNA 40 device w/ an Atlantis tank at 34 watts for a hassle free vape for now. (edit- noob vapers don't know how lucky they are.) And nice to have the temp sensor capabilty for when i feel like experimenting.

But so far i think i like the flexibility pf regular old Kanthal better, but will now try SS316 & NiChrome 80, they will be needed for fused claptons coils when i get around to building one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread