Kanthol vrs Ni-200 vrs Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I primarily have always wrapped with Kanthal. I have jumped on the TC band wagon in hopes of maintaining a cooler vape (luke warm not hot) but still maintaining a decent cloud to carry my flavor. I primarily wrap a 1.3 to a 1.8 ohm coil of Kanthal dependent on my ejuice or atty I'm using. Also I must state I'm a flavor chaser not a fogger. My atty's are 2-Taifun GT's and 2-svoemesto kayfun--dripper's are paradigm magma's---all flavor here. Now my problem.....silver and ni-200 have a much lower resistance!!! Utilizing the above specs how many wraps Ni-200. or silver and at what gauge to hit my normal 1.3 to 1.8 Kanthal build????. I feel silver is going to be my primary wire. Understanding its much softer but the taste of Ni-200 is in question also. Are there any grids or tables that can assist my gauge wire to diameter of wrap for a specific ohm reading out there??? Thanks T!nman
Ex-smoker---Vape on my friends

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
Wow. So not Simple solutions. Haha I am going to go ahead and Move this to New Members. Simple solutions is intended for new people looking to get started with vaping. More traffic there too.
You sure silver? I think maybe you mean steel? Silver would be an expensive coil.... and Silver isnt Resistant.

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I primarily have always wrapped with Kanthal. I have jumped on the TC band wagon in hopes of maintaining a cooler vape (luke warm not hot) but still maintaining a decent cloud to carry my flavor. I primarily wrap a 1.3 to a 1.8 ohm coil of Kanthal dependent on my ejuice or atty I'm using. Also I must state I'm a flavor chaser not a fogger. My atty's are 2-Taifun GT's and 2-Svoemesto Kayfun--dripper's are paradigm magma's---all flavor here. Now my problem.....silver and ni-200 have a much lower resistance!!! Utilizing the above specs how many wraps Ni-200. or silver and at what gauge to hit my normal 1.3 to 1.8 Kanthal build????. I feel silver is going to be my primary wire. Understanding its much softer but the taste of Ni-200 is in question also. Are there any grids or tables that can assist my gauge wire to diameter of wrap for a specific ohm reading out there??? Thanks T!nman
Ex-smoker---Vape on my friends

Well, as Spencer87 stated above, silver wire is expensive, the only application I seen dead soft silver wire was in the application of atomizers like the Diver, UFS, Prometheus, and Magoo.

TC wires we have 2 types, Ni200 Nickel, and Ti1 Titanium Grade 1, Ni200 has the lowest resistance per foot compared to Titanium Grade 1 2nd lowest, Nichrome 2nd Highest, and Kanthal the highest. I haven't personally used Ti1 yet, but I have been studying it, yet I do presently use Ni200, Ni200 has the lowest melting point in the range of above 600 degrees F I do believe, while Ti1 has a much higher melting point, if you use Ti1 with a TC mod not tuned for Ti1 only Ni200 you have to set your TC setting about 100F below what you would set for Ni200. On one of my Subtank Plus with the RBA deck I wrap my 28awg annealed Ni200 on a 2.5mm mandrel at a 12wrap, lands me in the 0.11 to 0.14ohm range, set my TC mod to max watts and about 450F TC, normally wrap my Kayfuns and such at 2.5mm 8 wrap, I just added 4 wraps to my normal kanthal build and I hit about the mark I wanted my first attempt. Some TC mods will accept down to about 0.05ohms on a TC build, but I'd suggest try staying in the 0.12 to 0.2 range for optimal performance. Ti1 on the other hand is higher resistance than Ni200, so try getting into the 0.2 to 0.3ohm range a TC mod not tuned for Ti1 will be accepted, go over 0.3ohm will bump you into standard VW mode on a lot of TC mods.

Try this site here -> Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
It has a coil wrapping utility and various other vaping tools, just make sure to select you type of wire, gauge of wire, target resistance, and diameter of the inside of your coil, the utility will do the calculations and come in pretty dead on spot how many wraps you will need. Be forewarned, standard Ni200 (annealed) is very, very soft, but they do make a tempered version out there that is a bit more stiff, but I just use a #14 machinist screw to wrap on for my Ni200 coils to keep the coils spaced which works a bit better on TC builds. Being you are mostly mouth to lung RTA tanks, if you build those for TC mode, you'd be probably in the 250 to 350F TC setting range for Ni200, on the paradigms, being drippers with larger airflow you'd probably get away with being in the 450 to 500F TC range.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
The bottom line is, you aren't going to wind a coil out of either Ni or Ag to 1.3 Ohms and have it be smaller than a bracelet. Neither one exhibits the resistance of Kanthal. Silver is, in fact, the most electrically conductive metal known to science. If you're going to make a coil that resistance out of either, you're going to have to use tens of feet of wire, not 2 or 3 inches. With TC however, this is not necessary. The temp cotrol is applied by the electronics pulsing the power, not the native coil resistance. I have never used silver wire for anything vape related-- silver is used to reduce I^2R losses, not increase them-- but I use nickel all the time. A practical sized Ni coil will ohm out between about .2~.05. This is not a problem. The mods are built for it. I would not recommend trying it on a non-TC mod. It might blow up.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I don't know of a single temperature control mod that would even work in TC mode with a 1+ohm coil.

And why do you think the resistance is so important? It's the thickness of the wire and the number of wraps that matter. Do you think a nickel wire with the same thickness and same number of wraps is going to vape differently just because it's lower ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread