Not open for further replies.

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
Two questions:

1. My husband is getting ready to get ready to DIY for me. My only task is to make the order of supplies and I'm failing :( After hours of reading, RTSVapes seemed the best choice for the nic. When I add it to my cart a drop-down menu choice appears to choose the base but there are no options. I assume that means it's out of stock? It happens with 36mg to 100mg all sizes. I submitted a trouble ticket this morning with no reply.

2. Searching for a supply list for the items he'll need like glass cylinders, gloves, piquettes ect. He's an 'exact' kind of guy. He'll be making tiny 3-10ml batches. Is there a "supply list" I haven't found on the forum for new DIYers?

Thanks, much! :p

Nyte

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
Georgia
RTS is out of nic for the moment... (They had a large order come in and it cleaned them out. As per the site's thread they expect the next shipment in 10-14 days.) I was a little bummed about it myself, as I was about to order a bigger bottle.

If there is a supply list somewhere I've not found it. I'm still sort of buying stuff here and there. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can help with that.

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
I can't help with the RTS cart problem sorry, but have you looked at Box Elder Chemical? They have got a 50% off sale on until Sunday. I bought a whole litre on their last sale and it is good stuff, and I paid around one third of what I would have in the UK.

I have been DIY'ing for a while so can help a bit more there. 'Exact' is a good thing with DIY otherwise you are never going to be able to reproduce your recipes reliably. My wife and I both vape around 20ml a week and this is the batch size I make up. I use 30ml bottles, and 5ml, 2ml and 1ml syringes and gloves. Goggles are recommended too if you are using 100ml nic. Definately get the 1ml syringes as they are the most accurate for the small amounts of flavouring required in small batches. Pipettes? hardly ever use them, same for measuring cylinders. A good selection of syringes and needle sizes are more than enough unless you are going to mix large amounts at once. Small plastic funnel is useful.

You'll need unflavoured nic at your chosen concentration, flavourings (best use proper vaping flavours from either Flavourarts or Perfumers Apprentice), plain PG and plain VG.

Write down every recipe you try as you make it. Before making up a juice double and treble check your calculations to make sure you are not going to poison yourself with too much nic. I use 48mg nic which is strong enough in my opinion. If you use 100ml be doubly careful!

If you are not too hot with the math use a good ejuice calculator as a check. Google up eJuicemeup, that's the one I use for the more complicated recipes. Double check each ingredient quantity as you add it to the mix. Shake the final mix very well, let is stand for a few minutes and shake again before trying it. If it doesn't taste perfect leave it to stand for a few days and try it again, you will be surprised how a flavour will mature. Never add too high a percentage of flavours to start with. Start low and taste, you can always add more but they are a ..... to get out again :)

Always make up small amounts to try flavours. I make up one or two mil mixes of just PG, VG and flavours to test with, don't waste your expensive nic concentrate until you find a flavour you want to take further. Use a normal atty and drip on it for testing the flavours. What smells wonderful in the flavouring bottle may taste awful and vice-versa so always do the drip test.

Only when I have a flavour I like do I make up a larger amount of 5ml with nic liquid included then vape that for a day or so. If I still like it after that only then will I make up a normal 20ml size mix.

I can't think of anything else vital at the moment but I'm sure someone else will chip in if I've missed anything. Good luck, and don't be disappointed if your first mixes taste rubbish. Like all of vaping there is a learning curve but when you master it it really is fun and satisfying to vape your own personally tailored flavours. And it is hugely cheaper - in the UK a 10ml bottle of premixed eliquid costs around £4 to £5 - I make the same amount for around 60p :thumbs:

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I too am a fan of RTS but if you are just starting out and want to order everything that you will need at one place check out OneStopDIY. It is where I get all of my flavoring from and I think that they even have a sale on their nic right now. They have a great selection of flavors, nic, pg, vg bottles, pipettes, everything that you will need really and you can't beat Kimerpuff for Customer Service :)
Good luck!

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
I recommend PureVapes for samples of FA and many DIY supplies; ecigexpress for many other flavors, both TFA and FA: and I like NicVape's nic a lot, also Electronic Ash for nic and pg and vg. Do not buy a kit, they are useless quickly, what you need is a notebook for the experiments, syringes, and 14 gauge needles, the rest is gravy.:)

Worldgod

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Spokane
I just made an order of 500ml 48mg nic from Box Elder. It was less than $45 shipped! Take that and the rest of stuff I got from Perfumer's Apprentice. They have 4ml sample sizes of flavors for $1.40-1.60 and better deals on larger ones of course but if ya wanna try some flavors that's the way to go imo. They even have 500ml (well 16oz actually) of VG for $8 and PG for $10. Way I see it with all that I ordered it will cost me about $.08 per ml for my juice (24mg)...thas a far cry from $15-20 or so shipped for 30 ml :)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Both 1 ml and 3 ml pipettes.
Graduated beakers (for when you want to make larger batches) and/or 10 ml oral syringes. I picked up a 100 pack of plastic beakers from US Plastics, still using the original handful from the pack :)
Nitrile gloves (I don't use them, only work with max 60 mg/ml, on a tray with sides, haven't had spill issues, but appreciate them as "good practice").
Eye protection (again, I wear glasses, never have the liquids at eye level other than checking beaker fill, so personally don't use them).
Store your nic base safely away from kids and pets (pretty much the same precaution as you should use even with mixed eliquid).
Dropper bottles, various sizes (I use US Plastics for boston round dropper bottles -- 3, 6, 10, 15 ml. S&H is $4.99 for total orders up to either $20 or $25 (I forget which; "natural" color is a clear plastic).
VoidMist is another good supplier, I use them for most of my nic purchases. They may still be running a 50% off sale.

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
I can't help with the RTS cart problem sorry, but have you looked at Box Elder Chemical? They have got a 50% off sale on until Sunday. I bought a whole litre on their last sale and it is good stuff, and I paid around one third of what I would have in the UK.

I have been DIY'ing for a while so can help a bit more there. 'Exact' is a good thing with DIY otherwise you are never going to be able to reproduce your recipes reliably. My wife and I both vape around 20ml a week and this is the batch size I make up. I use 30ml bottles, and 5ml, 2ml and 1ml syringes and gloves. Goggles are recommended too if you are using 100ml nic. Definately get the 1ml syringes as they are the most accurate for the small amounts of flavouring required in small batches. Pipettes? hardly ever use them, same for measuring cylinders. A good selection of syringes and needle sizes are more than enough unless you are going to mix large amounts at once. Small plastic funnel is useful.

You'll need unflavoured nic at your chosen concentration, flavourings (best use proper vaping flavours from either Flavourarts or Perfumers Apprentice), plain PG and plain VG.

Write down every recipe you try as you make it. Before making up a juice double and treble check your calculations to make sure you are not going to poison yourself with too much nic. I use 48mg nic which is strong enough in my opinion. If you use 100ml be doubly careful!

If you are not too hot with the math use a good ejuice calculator as a check. Google up eJuicemeup, that's the one I use for the more complicated recipes. Double check each ingredient quantity as you add it to the mix. Shake the final mix very well, let is stand for a few minutes and shake again before trying it. If it doesn't taste perfect leave it to stand for a few days and try it again, you will be surprised how a flavour will mature. Never add too high a percentage of flavours to start with. Start low and taste, you can always add more but they are a ..... to get out again :)

Always make up small amounts to try flavours. I make up one or two mil mixes of just PG, VG and flavours to test with, don't waste your expensive nic concentrate until you find a flavour you want to take further. Use a normal atty and drip on it for testing the flavours. What smells wonderful in the flavouring bottle may taste awful and vice-versa so always do the drip test.

Only when I have a flavour I like do I make up a larger amount of 5ml with nic liquid included then vape that for a day or so. If I still like it after that only then will I make up a normal 20ml size mix.

I can't think of anything else vital at the moment but I'm sure someone else will chip in if I've missed anything. Good luck, and don't be disappointed if your first mixes taste rubbish. Like all of vaping there is a learning curve but when you master it it really is fun and satisfying to vape your own personally tailored flavours. And it is hugely cheaper - in the UK a 10ml bottle of premixed eliquid costs around £4 to £5 - I make the same amount for around 60p :thumbs:

Just got the nic concentrate at Box Elders. Great sale. Thanks, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread