Nic Strength - 2 Pack a day long time smoker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Hey, another nicotine question!

I'm about a month into this, doing well, and not smoking at all. I started with 12 mg nicotine and quickly realized it was not enough. Still had that anxious, vague something's missing feeling. I went to 18 mg and those feelings disappeared, which is good, and I'm happy with that.

Now my question: I am retired and home all day so I can vape as much as I like, which seems to be all the time! I feel like I never put this Ego down.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 40 years. Could it be that I'm still not getting enough nicotine and need to bump it up to 24 mg? I'm thinking maybe I'm vaping so constantly because 18 mg is still not enough?

I realize all this is subjective, like how juices taste, and it's different for everyone. Would love some opinions nonetheless.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I smoked 45+ years. At times up to 2 pks a day. I started out at 24 mg. It soon became to strong for me. I lowered it down to 18 pretty quickly. Fast forward to now. I have lowered my strength down to 12-15. 12 on my fruits and 15 for my menthols.

If I am awake, I vape. Battery seldom leaves my hand. Was the same at the higher strengths. I started getting jittery and a slight headache at the higher strengths. If you are satisfied with what you are vaping I don't think you need to go any higher. JMHO

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
It's possible you might need a higher level to slow down. Best way to find out is to get a small bottle of 24mg and try it for a few days.
If you find 24 is to high for all day, try using it for the first hour or two to get your nic level up in the morning. Then swap out to the 18.

That is a good idea. It is the worst when I first get up. I'm having trouble getting dressed using only one hand!:) Kind of kidding, but almost not.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Sort of depends on what type of cigarettes you smoked before.

I smoked Camel Filter and Camel 99s for about 30 years. I only smoked a little more than 1 pack a day, but as my wife says, I've got some strong *** smokes.

Nothing less than 24mg would satisfy my cravings.

If you were a 2 pack a day of lights, or possibly ultra lights then 18mg is probably plenty, but if you were smoking regular cigarettes then you'll probably be happier with the 24mg.

BobbyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Houston
The thing that was "missing" for me was vapor production.
I quickly upgraded from ego ce4's to kanger t2's and mini vivi novas with 1.8 ohm coils.
Then onto re-buildables, then I got a vamo, some kanthal, and cotton balls.
Vapor was great, nic delivery was great, and I was satisfied.
I also purchased several different liquids with different nicotine levels.
I was using 24mg and 18mg with clearomizers, now I prefer 10-12mg dripping an igo-l with 1.2 ohms on the vamo.
Good luck to you. Stick with it and try different tank systems/setups. There is a huge learning curve at first, have patience.
You will find plenty of answers here.

Rosenec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn't worried about having your ego in your hand all day, that's fairly normal. If you were a 2 pad smoker then you pretty much had a cig in your hand all day.
This is not scientific just my experience. A smoke lasts between 10-15 drags. Pulling off you vaper is not the same so you need to hit it 20-30 times to be about the same. You will need to vape 800-1200 times to equally about how much you smoked.
If you don't like how much you are vaping up your nic a little, and you may not feel the need to vape so often.
I can't speak for anyone else but my mod is in my hand just about all day. I take 2 or 3 pulls every few minutes.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I was just under 2 packs a day of Marlboro Menthols when I switched. Started off at 24mg, 8 months later I'm just getting down to 12mg. Oddly don't do menthol or mint flavors anymore. Not sure why I lost the taste for 'em, but totally did. Better to start off strong and work down than not start strong enough and not have the switch take and end up smoking again.

Aviz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
SF E. Bay , CA
use 24 mg.
The EU researchers that looked into it said it takes twice the amount in a Cig for vape to give you the same kick (no ammonia to push it in).
12mg is very weak IMO, for most smokers I met 24mg is more suitable.

One time (not intentionally) I had a 24mg patch on and I was vaping a 24mg ejuice on 10watts dual coil. I got a buzz for sure, but nothing else (of course I took off the patch and stopped right away).

I think the nic levels advertised are extremely conservative and are to protect people from themselves, but I am not bound by PC, and I can tell you straight up based on my experience: IF YOU SMOKE TWO PACKS A DAY GO FOR 24mg.

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
For me, it's the flavor I find so "addicting". I vape way more frequently than I smoked when I'm not at work.

I started at 18mg. Stepped up to 24mg for only about a week, back down to 18mg cuz it made me icky. Within about 6-8 weeks, I continued to drop the nic, but went too low too fast.

Now I vape between 12 and 16. FREQUENTLY. I'm very ok with that.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
'Bakky history in my sig line.

Started @24mg. Three weeks later, dropped to 18mg for a year. Since then I've been vaping @15.

A small increase in your nic level may sate your urges. Buy your fav flav @24mg. Then mix that 50/50 with your 18mg for a 21mg level.

Good luck!

That is an excellent suggestion. I have quite a few bottles of 18 mg already. Didn't think about mixing 24 mg with them.

I've already found out that I can mix regular flavors, and I still like it just fine. I had a little cherry cheesecake left in my topper and got some new banana flavor. I didn't want to take time to change it out. I just poured the banana in on top and it tasted quite good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread