Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I was looking on MtBakerVapor at juices and actually had a chat with someone there, I asked for his opinion on a starting mixture and he suggested 80/20. I suppose that he knows better than I and should go with that, anyone else have an opinion on it? I know its subjective but I don't expect to get it right straight away, just a common starting point. Thanks.
This poll might interest you...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/177395-what-pg-vg-ratio-do-you-like-best.html

Gemini76

Mar 26, 2013
SE Georgia, USA
Well, I have made my first order, I went with a kgo kit with an Evod cart from Elite Vaporworks.

Elite Vaporworks KGO Starter Kit with eVod Cartomizer - KGO

I saw a lot of good reviews about the Evod, and the cartomizer / clearamizer / tank setup was the part I was hung up on; until I saw this kit. Looks to be everything I need to get going. It comes with a 70/30 mix, going to try cotton candy. I'll wait and see how the 70/30 does before I order more juice.

Again, thank you all for your encouragement and help.

Last edited:

Gemini76

Mar 26, 2013
SE Georgia, USA
Got my order today, after checking the shipping status (over and over) I saw that it arrived today at around 2:30. I was at work and had to wait a few hours to get home and retrieve it. Seemed like it took forever. I got home and sure enough, there it was. A hundred things were running through my head as I opened the package; things I have read and videos I watched, my anticipation and excitement. Then, for some reason I went into slow motion. Took in everything, the batteries, the evod, juice, cone and charger. I inspected it all like I knew what I was doing.

And then it happened. I lost it. Like I was in some sort of auto pilot I took the juice, gave it all of 3 seconds of a shake, smelled it and tipped my Evod. I removed the head and put the juice in; remembering not to get it in the center. It filled up a lot faster than I thought. I supposed a little really must go a long way. Filled it to just below the center post. Put the head back on. Looked at the cone. I don't know what it's for. I realized I had no idea what the cones are for. Whatever, set it aside. Screwed the Evod onto the battery. 5 clicks..battery flashes. Lost all sense of what I knew not to do. Held the button, heard a sizzly crackle noise. Time to see what this is all about. Brought it to my mouth....completely forgot. Slow, longer, smoother drag. Nope. I hit it like a smoke after 2 and a half hours at the movies. Without even batting an eye I inhaled it.

3 minutes later my eyes stopped watering. My breath got back to normal. Holy hell. I knew better. I did. But I did it anyway. It was like..like someone scraped off the burnt part from a bunch of burnt toast, put it in a leaf blower and I inhaled it. While gasping for air all the things I knew but foolishly discarded ran through my head. If I could have kicked myself I would have. Lesson learned (the hard way as usual).

Ok. Review time. Mailbox juice is not a good idea, especially if you ignore the basics and pretend like you know what your doing when you dont. Have to shake it. A lot. Let it air some. Battery needs a bit of a charge I'm sure. For goodness sakes, do not act like an old pro. Main thing, slow down. don't let the excitement of shiney and new get the better of you like I did.

Now, that being said. I got one of the batteries fully charged. Let the juice sit a bit. Tried again. Didnt inhale this time. Remembered the techniques I have read about here. Through the mouth, out of the nose. Much better. Still doesnt taste like I anticipated (cotton candy) but I realize I just got it out of the mailbox and it takes time. I tried again, inhaled a little. Getting better. Didn't choke. I will take my time, and I will get the hang of this. I have a lot of support here, at ECF.

This is the start of my vaping story, and I cant wait to experience this as it develops.

jenmurray116

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Just saw this post and it did make me smile! I love your enthusiasm!! Though, sorry the first vape was not the best experience! But first of all, welcome to ECF!! :toast:

Second, you are right about slowing down a bit - honestly, I almost gave up after my first attempt (my first juice was butterscotch and it was way too sweet for me - could not stop coughing from it!) Many juices need a few days of steeping (I'm sure you know that with all the research!) and sometimes the flavor just doesn't do it for you all (I have a whole box of that!!) I learned I couldn't do 80/20 at first, I couldn't do really sweet flavors, I needed to research more carefully so I didn't buy knockoffs again (that was a nightmare!) and that one vape of Peppermint Blast from HHV's was all I needed to never look at another cig again.

You are so far ahead of many newbies, like me when I started! You will do great with this - just keep enjoying the adventure! And know that knowledge is one thing, but experience will help!

Oh, by the way - I love Mt. Baker Vapor!! My go-to for juice now. Vanilla Ice is my favorite though I have a whole bunch more to try - and I just created my first flavor today! Love that they have that option!

Best of luck to you, keep updating - looking forward to reading more of your story!

Gemini76

Mar 26, 2013
SE Georgia, USA
Thank you Jenmurray! As with any new vaper I'm sure, I'm anxious to get into it. All this research and anticipation has got a hold on me for sure. I suppose a downside of starting out, is the actual start. The unknown. Really just have to get in there and go a few rounds like others have said. Thats what i'm doing, Rocky style.

I'm anxious to get the hang of it. Too anxious. I want to keep hitting it to find the sweet spot so to speak. The length of the inhale, the clouds of vapor, the I know what I'm doing appearance. I'm going to try not to over do it tonight but it will be a struggle. I still have a pack of the 'other stuff' here and I want to avoid it. But I'm going to stay realistic.

Unfortunately I only have one bottle of juice; I didnt want to order any more until I experienced what this particualr blend does for me (70/30 at 24mg nic) but having nothing to compare it to I'm not sure how I will gauge it. Maybe I will try a few different strenghts like some 18 and 36 with different flavors. Or the same flavor in different strenghts and ratios. Not sure yet. Butterscotch was a definate on my list...hope it works out but if not thats ok. There is a ton to try.

I have seen MBV mentioned numerous times and do plan to begin my juice 'search' there. Congrats on your first original flavor combination! I hope it lives up to what you want.

Hi Gemini. If you're vape doesn't taste great right off the bat, don't feel too discouraged. In my experience sometimes different Cartomizers / Cartotanks have some sort of Primer on them that clouds the taste of the e-liquid, until it's allowed to sit in there for a while and fired a few times. But most importantly, I have had the same experience with many e-liquids from testing them on the day they arrived in the mail. Some will take just a few days to reach their peak, some even up to two weeks. Either way I hope it improves for you and you enjoy it!
May I also make a suggestion? Since you're new to vaping, you may be interested in a tobacco e-liquid that delivers satisfying throat hit and flavor. Halo e-liquid has three of my favorites: Torque56, Tribeca and Prime15. Just a suggestion if you ever find yourself looking at tobacco flavors... good luck!

Gemini76

Mar 26, 2013
SE Georgia, USA
Ok, well here is my end of day 1 update. I'm feeling a little guilty because I'm smoking as I type this. I have been vaping since about 5:30 today, and this is my only cigarette since then. It is now 10 minutes til midnight. I did not intend to stop cold turkey but 1 cig in 6 hours is a noticable accomplishment. I'm a PaD smoker. Actually, I feel like I can already say I was..was a PaD. I feel good about this. Tomorrow will be even better.

Gemini76

Mar 26, 2013
SE Georgia, USA
Well, day 2. Actually I will call this day 1 as it's my first full day with the ability to vape. I had a cigarette this morning around 8:30. That is my only one of the day. It is now 6:20 and while I do have a slight urge to smoke it is quite bearable. I am inhaling vapor now without losing it. It still tastes burnt to me and feels harsher on my throat than I would like, but I know I will have to try different remedies for that. Maybe I will try 50/50 but stay at 24nic. I've always preferred a smooth throat hit anyhow.
I tried a straight inhale, straight into my lungs earlier. Definately didnt like that. Inhaling to mouth, holding a second and then to my lungs is much better. Still have to shake the burnt taste though. Anyway, so far day 1 has been a success.

Gemini76

Mar 26, 2013
SE Georgia, USA
2nd day update. It is now 6:15 p.m. and I have not had a smoke at all today. I have vaped all day. It still burns my throat more than I like but I'm getting used to that. The temptation for a smoke is still there, but so far my will power combined with consistent vaping is winning the fight. I ordered 2 more EVOD's and 4 juices (above post) late last night.

I got some Peppermint blast as Jenmurray mentioned, and some tobacco as Zire suggested. I also grabbed some apple and watermelon to try out.

As far as symptoms of the switch, my throat is a little sore, I am drinking a lot of water though to counter that and its definitely manageable. The slight crave for a smoke is still present, but manageable as well. I actually did not intend to stop smoking right off, but I really believe that it's going to be easier...no it IS much easier to look away from them now than it has ever been before.

Gemini76

Mar 26, 2013
SE Georgia, USA
Day 3. It's 11:35 pm and today was much easier than I expected. Again, no cigarette today. I'm done with cigarettes. So awesome to say that. The sore throat is gone and I'm very pleased at how this is going. I have spent most of my day reading these forums and watching youtube videos. I took apart my evod and cleaned it, did a dry burn on the atomizer. Just to do it. I can't wait for the other juices I ordered to get here. I don't know what else to say. This has made me feel so much better already. I'm thinking of people I can convert already:D

ChrisUp2Late

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Victoria, BC
I'm so impressed by how many people here say "my first day of vaping was my last day of smoking". It was that way for me too! After 40 years of smoking, I'm 40 days on e-cigs only. Tried and failed with patches, gum, inhalers, etc... I know I'm not out of the woods yet by a long shot, but if this is as hard as it gets, I'm giggling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread