Nice to meet you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckosh

Oct 6, 2018
Total newbie here but wondered if you could help.

My firing button got depressed for possibly 5 minutes. For some reason it didn't cut out and we all noticed a burning smell in the room.

Luckily nothing burned down, but, my vape tastes horrendously burnt now.

I washed everything out and changed the coil but it's still tasting burnt.
Usual liquid and regular vape stick, so I know I'm not doing anything wrong.

Do I need a whole new device? Or is there a part I can change.

I'm using a uwell Nunchaku

Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Start by pulling the tank apart again, pull all the o-rings, those that seal the tank, the ones on the drip tip, any that may be on the tank chimney, etc... Rubber and silicone products can hold strong smells. Also check the drip tip it's probably delrin plastic and may be holding the burnt odor.

I assume when you cleaned it you disposed of the liquid that was exposed to the heat generated by the stuck button..

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
It looks like there is an insulator (rubber gasket) under the 510 pin just like in the Valyrian, push the 510 up and out from the bottom and using tweezers or similar pull the insulator (black rubber gasket) out and give it a smell. It will be under the gold disk in the picture below.

Untitled.png

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Ok I'll give that a go!
Let's see if it helps.
It's not an odor though ,it's a proper burn, cough inducing horrendousness!
Are you saying the coil is burning now as you vape or that the vapor is now harsh or too hot? If so, take a picture of the display screen while pressing the firing button.

I may have wrongly assumed in your original post that it was now tasting burnt which made me think of trapped burnt odor. I'm now thinking it's related to settings or the constant fire issue is related to or caused by a bad chip/board.

The fact that it didn't auto shut down after 10 seconds is concerning, bad chip or board. Means safety margin is reduced or gone.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um welcome hopefully you can get the burnt out with a bit more disassembly. I would soak every disassembled thing you can in rubbing alcohol and Dawn and leave it overnight, scrub all of it with a toothbrush and also replace anything plastic like O rings (if the tank is a plastic, and it probably isn't well you might need to replace that too). ETA: very important, then rinse like crazy for a wihle.

Also, did you figure out this "five minutes fire button on" and how it happened? How did the fire button get stuck because if you don't figure that out, it could happen again and be potentially dangerous.

If it's a new mod and you aren't sure and can't get it figured out, warranty it. It's not safe to use. Like if some eliquid got in the fire button and it got stuck, you can clean that out. If it is registering mysteriously as ON when it isn't, that is actually MORE of an issue than the taste of your tank in my humble opinion. Not that both issues don't suck they totally do...

Good luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Ckosh , I don't think that you explained how the fire button got compressed for over 5 minutes.

Your mod is supposed to have internal protection circuitry (Auto Timed Power Cutoff) after several seconds of continuous use. The fact that this safety protection didn't work means your setup is no more safer than a mechanical mod, and mech mods have NO safety features.

:danger: You will need to remove the battery every time you stop vaping and decide to put it in your pocket or purse, or you run the risk of your battery exploding the next time. In fact, whatever battery was in use when your above incident occured probably received dangerous internal damage and should be recycled appropriately and replaced with a new battery.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@Baditude is correct. I really REALLY meant it when I said figuring out the autofire is more important than the tank. Tasting bad is one thing, plastic surgery is something else.

You have to figure out what made it autofire, and it HAS to be a reasonable explanation that you can make sure is NOT repeated.

If a mod autofires ONCE the chances of it doing so again (if you leave it to chance or fate) is considerably greater.

To use a less dangerous example, the chances of my wattage changing if I do not lock my settings while driving, well I can guarantee that if I did not make the change my wattage settings will change again. Maybe not the first, the fifth or even the 20th time, but eventually.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread