Nichrome coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougk9589

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
Binghamton Ny
So I recently picked up some 24ga nichrome and I am having some issues with it. Every coil I have tried to buil with it fails, I have tried standard coils, micro coils and nano coils ranging from .5 to .24 and none of them show a short on my ohm reader then when I put them on an RDA they will start to glow then I seem to burn out a leg or the coil falls out in the center. I have been rebuilding for around 6 months and usually make very nice coils and always sub ohm safely with Sony VTC5'S

Is their anyway the spool of nichrome is bad? Could it be because the wraps of my coils are touching like I always do with my kanthal coils?

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
I would also be inclined to believe its a bad batch. I have recently ordered Nichrome 80 from 3 different places and I could definitely tell the difference in quality from one of them. It may have been the stuff I got from FastTech where every 4 or 5 coils I was getting hot legs and blown wires during dry burns while changing out the cotton.

I haven't had any problems with the stuff I got from Kidney Puncher and The Vape Mesh Company. The Vape Mesh Company seemed to be the best quality but took months to get.

Last edited:

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
If you sub ohm single coils don't use nichrome. Nichrome can't handle the high current as good as Kanthal can. IF your running 1.5 ohm or higher nichrome will work but even then you will tend to get a metalic taste because the metal is melting. Under high current flows chromium alloys break down and liquifiy or gas off
akin to aluminum but at 2/3 the current. 10-15 amps is all thats used to do chrome plating and even though its a more resilient form of chromium used in nichrome wire you still don't run more then 15 amps through it up to 15 watts and less amps if you go over 15 watts. Dryer coils are the same 24g nichrome wire and they tend to pop at 20amps. I have issues with nichrome on any high current heating coil I make regardless of the application so even when I rebuild coils for on demand type water heaters I prefer Kanthal as nichrome can be really finicky.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
If you sub ohm single coils don't use nichrome. Nichrome can't handle the high current as good as Kanthal can. IF your running 1.5 ohm or higher nichrome will work but even then you will tend to get a metalic taste because the metal is melting. Under high current flows chromium alloys break down and liquifiy or gas off
akin to aluminum but at 2/3 the current. 10-15 amps is all thats used to do chrome plating and even though its a more resilient form of chromium used in nichrome wire you still don't run more then 15 amps through it up to 15 watts and less amps if you go over 15 watts. Dryer coils are the same 24g nichrome wire and they tend to pop at 20amps. I have issues with nichrome on any high current heating coil I make regardless of the application so even when I rebuild coils for on demand type water heaters I prefer Kanthal as nichrome can be really finicky.

good information. thank you!

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Yeah, I was gonna say that .6Ω on a Nichrome 26 microcoil was my go-to for a long time. I was also gonna hazard a guess that that was maybe a good rough estimate for about how low it stays reliable. Also, too, tho, it gives me pause to think of those people who get a sore throat from Nichrome, and to hold that up against Ike saying about chromium melting and gassifying. :?: Of course, a .6Ω coil is only about 7 Amps at top speed, so . . . .. . :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread