Aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhh !

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
If you get nichrome working on a genesis.... it is an excellent vape...better than kanthal. However setting up nichrome on Gensis is very hard....as you have noticed. If you have a very seasoned wick, the set up can be done very easily. In the past I have used nichrome very successfully but only with old/used up wicks....never with new ones. If you roll a new wick and then oxidize it and try to get it too work.....you are asking for low ohms messages. Also you will never get nichrome 36g to work in any situation....it is just to flimsy...any shorts and the wire will pop.

buy some Kanthal 32awg to start off and later you can experiment with lower gauge kanthal wires.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I've ordered Kanthal 32 and 30 , but can pickup nicrome loca . The place I went today only had the 36 . Why was I always getting a 0.0 ohm ?

Edd...I thought that you meant that you were constantly getting low ohm messages....If you never got anything but a 0.0ohm reading.... The dummy sold you nickel wire...not nichrome. Since your are starting out forget about nichrome anyway...just wait for Kanthal wires to ship.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Edd...I thought that you meant that you were constantly getting low ohm messages....If you never got anything but a 0.0ohm reading.... The dummy sold you nickel wire...not nichrome. Since your are starting out forget about nichrome anyway...just wait for Kanthal wires to ship.

Sounds like you are right. It could easily be tested by running about a 3" piece of the wire from positive to negative post and see what kind of reading you get. No wick, no making coils, just the wire not touching anything else. 3" of 36g in chrome should give you a pretty high resistance. If it still reads zero you've got nonresistance nickel wire.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
........ The dummy sold you nickel wire...not nichrome. .....

Sounds like that could be the explanation. If you'd like to try a sure fire way to set up your ss, try a little wisp of cotton at the top of the wick to prevent shorts. Start this video at about 1:20 to see how he does it. Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick Bluegrasslover's method - YouTube

Cotton from a que-tip will work just fine, and you can use even less that he does in the video. Wet it before test firing, as the cotton is meant to stay. I also put a small plug of cotton between the coil and center post up to the wire from the coil to the center post to prevent any hot spots in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread