Status
Not open for further replies.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
So i've been looking at Amazon, ebay and similar non-vaping sites to find some cheaper deals on ss mesh, silica, nichrome/kanthal and non resistance wire. It's a lot cheaper to get most of these items from non-vaping related stores for the most part. I found a 100foot spool of 34awg nichrome, but it says 60% nickle, 16% chromium, and 24% iron. Is this the same thing as regular Nichrome 60? Or do I need to find it without the iron. A lot of the different ones i've looked at all have this same exact composite in it and I don't want to use something that can endanger my health to save a few bucks. Thanks!

Also I have another question, is this the same wire as the .999 silver no resistance wire sold on vaping sites? It's a lot cheaper here.

.999 Fine Silver 30 Gauge Round Dead Soft Wire

Last edited:

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
NiCrA
Chemical Composition: 80% Ni, 20% Cr
Approx. Melting Point: 1400 deg C
NiCrC
Chemical Composition: 61% Ni, 15% Cr, bal. Fe
Approx. Melting Point: 1350 deg C

Which one you need, I don't know, but the one with the iron is Nichrome C

Based on what I have read, Nickle and Chromium vapors are irritants, so it would seem that less of those should be ok. But I don't know about the iron.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Yeah the iron is what worries me, i'm not sure that it's safe to vape. I will try to find the higher quality stuff. Maybe i'll just go for kanthal, that way i'll know what i'm getting, even though nichrome seems to have a bit smoother hit to it, where as sometimes kanthal seems a bit harsh.

Edit: Oh BTW, thanks for the quick response!

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
MSDS on Iron: https://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924400

Doesn't sound real good. Don't know at what temp fumes are released but ----

Not an inhalation hazard unless metal is heated. If metal is heated, fumes will be released. Inhalation of these
fumes may cause "fume metal fever", which is characterized by flu-like symptoms. Symptoms may include metallic taste,
fever, nausea, vomiting, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, generalized muscle pain/aches, and increased white blood
cell count.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Yeah now that I know that's not the standard nichrome we use there's no way i'm even going to attempt it. Better safe than sorry. Thanks, on the silver wire I was much more sure that was the right stuff because it's got the EXACT same dimensions and info as the NR wire sold on Stormy's Vapor Cellar for 1/3 the cost. Thanks again! I think i'm just going to go for the kanthal because in my experience it's a lot easier to work with than nichrome anyways.

Maconi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Lexington KY
Unless I'm mistaken (correct me if I am):

Kanthal is roughly 75% Iron, 20% Chromium, 5% Aluminum
Nichrome 60 is roughly 25% Iron, 15% Chromium, 60% Nickel
Nichrome 80 is roughly 20% Chromium, 80% Nickel

Nickel is poisonous, Aluminum causes Alzheimer, and Iron causes "fume metal fever" as listed above.

Chronic inhalation exposure to nickel in humans also results in respiratory effects, including a type of asthma specific to nickel, decreased lung function, and bronchitis.

Chronic inhalation exposure of humans to manganese results primarily in effects on the nervous system. Slower visual reaction time, poorer hand steadiness, and impaired eye-hand coordination were reported in several studies of workers occupationally exposed to manganese dust in air.

Chronic inhalation exposure to chromium (VI) in humans results in effects on the respiratory tract, with perforations and ulcerations of the septum, bronchitis, decreased pulmonary function, pneumonia, asthma, and nasal itching and soreness reported.

Keep in mind that you have to heat these metals to the point of them releasing fumes for any of this to be an issue. Unless you're popping your coils all the time, I don't think our PVs get hot enough.

tl;dr
Metal is bad to inhale, but we should be fine. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread