The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Discussion in 'Wick and Wire' started by TomCatt, Aug 1, 2012.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JeremyR

JeremyR Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon, IL
    Well I was speaking of the sense of power your getting out of it. I vape strictly tobaccos. I do not run it at 5 volts all the time just saying micros give better performance, many times people are going lower ohms to get better performance. With micros you can be much higher in ohms and get similar or better performance all around. (The number in my head is half, 3ohm micro = 1.5 ohm in certain aspects) In other words if your wrapping regular coils to 1.5 a 3ohm can give you that performance your looking for. I have been doing 32g kanthal because it's all I have had, so I've worked with it.. But I'll have budget soon for some 30 and 28 g Nichrome.

Air flow plays a large role in performance of hotter coils. Micros are a lot of mass heating up.

2. HazMatt

HazMatt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    Columbia, TN, USA
    I wrapped 3 coils today. The first turned out a little too high for my liking at 3.5 ohms. I used it for a few hours and decided to try for the mid 2 ohm range. The other two coils ended up at 2.4 ohms. I just did not like the 3.5. Since I use twist batteries at work, I need something a little lower. The 2.4s might be as good as it gets for my evod heads.

3. ZaTHRaS

ZaTHRaS Full Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Atlanta
    HazMatt,
    Have you done micro coils in the EVOD/BCC yet? I did one in a Protank II but, was afraid to dry burn it as I heard that it would burn through the rubber insulator on the bottom that seperates the ground and firing pin...any thoughts on this?

4. HazMatt

HazMatt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    Columbia, TN, USA
    I am wrapping micro coils with cotton wicks. And I dry burn every time I change flavors.

I dispose of the old wick, rinse the tank thoroughly, dry with paper towels, dry burn the coil, then replace the cotton wick.

I dry burn with the power all the way down, 3.2v on a twist or 3v on my vamo. I pulse the fire button for about 2 or 3 seconds at a time. I keep pulsing until the coils are glowing nice and clean.

5. Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 3, 2013
    Denver, CO
  6. Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 3, 2013
    Denver, CO
    You can accomplish what you are going for by doubling up your 32ga kanthal and twisting it, should result in a resistance close to 27-28ga.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 4

7. Johnnysb
    This message by Johnnysb has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jan 22, 2014, Reason: Linkspammer.
    Dec 19, 2013
  8. umarbutt610

umarbutt610 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thank you. That was awesome information. I will keep it as part of my notes.

9. georgeCA951

georgeCA951 Full Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Riverside, CA
    I have what is hopefully a quick question about wire gauges. Is there a reason why the commonly used gauges are even numbered (28, 30, 32 etc)? Are odd numbered gauges not a good choice?

10. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Odd numbered gauges work great. Not quite as readily available, mostly found in Kanthal. Come to think of it, I've never seen odd in Nichrome. Sometimes it's just what you want to achieve the # of wraps and resistance you like best.

11. pjmarkert

pjmarkert Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Lake View, NY
    I have created a coil resistance and size calculator for Microsoft Excel which is attached. Give it a try and let me know what you think. I am also working on an application to do the same.

Attached Files:

12. maxd

maxd Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    NYC,NY
    Calculator for iOS and Android devices,

in case you would need it while :
    - traveling or so...
    - willing to convert between different metric system

more will come shortly

comment(s)/feedback(s) are welcome !

13. McCordRM

McCordRM Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2009
    Back in Texas! Yay!
    Ok, so I'm starting to think about getting into rebuildables.
    Looking at the chart, it looks like the thicker the wire the less resistance?
    For example:

30 awg (Ω/in)----- 0.7
    32 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.2

The 30 awg is thicker than the 32 awg? I thought a thicker wire would more resistance.

14. Dusther

Dusther Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2010
    Pensacola Fl
    think of it as a highway that electrons flow on.. the thicker the more lanes they have so less restriction on the flow.

15. McCordRM

McCordRM Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2009
    Back in Texas! Yay!
    Nice analogy, thanks.
    Now to figure out what rebuildable I want. I don't do dripping, so I need a tank. Preferably a 3-post.

16. EDM92

EDM92 Full Member Verified Member

Feb 14, 2014
    USA
    If I want to make mostly .2-.4 ohm dual coil RDA builds, what gauge Kanthal A1 should I go with? 24,26,28?

Edit: Yes, I am aware of battery safety. I have Sony VTC4s and I know not to overwork them. Just wanted to say this in advance as I know you all are great guys and will want to look out for me! :)

17. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    twenny fo' . . ..

18. pdib

Nov 23, 2012
    Oh, btw; kanthal REALLY starts to show it's weak side down there in the fatty range. It's slow and kin'a limp. A 26 Nichrome build (=25g Kanthal) at .4-.5Ω may prove more satisfying. . . . . .definitely will kick harder/faster. Not sayin', just sayin'

19. stylezuk

stylezuk Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Rugby
    You can get Vaper's Tool box for £0 maybe just have advertisement supported, I'm well aware of time taken etc but launching an app even at 50p when there is already one available.

20. pjmarkert

pjmarkert Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Lake View, NY
    Like mine, it's free: see attached

Attached Files:

21. otis mace

otis mace Full Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Why would 32ga. be better than 28ga(My go to gauge) for lower ohm coils. I build .4-.6.7ohms with regularity on a 5/64th bit w/ 7wraps of 28. on a dual rda.Nimbus,Igo-W.