The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Discussion in 'Wick and Wire' started by TomCatt, Aug 1, 2012.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Just found what I was looking for, thank you. It lets you model what you'd like to obtain based on all the variables. Thanks for the work.

2. Jdbaker82

Jdbaker82 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 16, 2014
    United States
    thank you for this!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

3. TornadoAlley

TornadoAlley Senior Member Verified Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Imo, it wouldn't be. 26 or 28 is you're best bet. Someone else may know more than me and disagree. But I use 24 for .25-.4 and 26 for .4-7ish.

4. TornadoAlley

TornadoAlley Senior Member Verified Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Oklahoma
    If you build the "fatty" sizes into a microcoil (with coils touching) does it help with the speed issues you're speaking of?

5. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Just wanted to let you know, when I chose a wire type, outputs fail.

6. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    tightly stacked coils will definitely speed things up.

7. Frocket

Frocket Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    north Carolina
    Anything smaller than 32 gauge is just too small for me to work with, but I probably lack the necessary patience. I use 32 on an Aqua RBA to build individual coils of about 2.0 ohms, running both halves the resistance to around 1.0 ohms. For single coil builds, 30 gauge is pretty easy to work with.

8. maxd

maxd Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    NYC,NY
    Just to be nice for nice forum :)

Promo Codes for Apple/iOS devices:
    first come first served basis

Shame that Android/Google does not support Promos.

9. Keith Jackson

Keith Jackson Full Member

Aug 7, 2014
    United States
    Thanks buddy I love using otto I buy alot of my silver from them

10. foolswithsometools

foolswithsometools Full Member

Apr 19, 2015
    High power vaping on giant coils with thick wires: Whats better for this, kanthal or nichrome?
    Ive been using nothing but kanthal since the beginning of time but see lots of super big and low gauge coils being built with nichrome more and more and was wondering about it (since I thought nichrome died when kanthal started getting bigger). I see people using stuff like 20g and 18g nichrome, isnt nichrome lower resistance than kanthal? And whats better about it specifically (taste, heat up, hot spots, etc)? Is there a place for nichrome in high voltage or series stacked battery vaping?
    Ive settled on 24-20g kanthal after vaping for so long and since temp control is still expensive, I might as well perfect my mech builds if nichrome really is better for what Im doing

11. Sgt.Rock

Sgt.Rock Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2014
    The Poconos
    FYI...

Temco has expanded their selection of Nichrome 80 recently. I just noticed it when I went to place an order...

They now carry from 16 ga through 36 ga Resistance Wire

I've been running twisted 26 ga Nichrome 80 single coils -- 3 mm .5 ohms and it's sweet!

12. CaliGrower

CaliGrower Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2013
    norcal
    6 one, half dozen the other.

i use both kanthal and nichrome, and love them both and hate them both, all depending on what specifically im using them for. the only time ive EVER gotten any sort of metallic taste,ect from either one is when i first got into rebuildables and if i didnt clean it properly before wrapping my coils.

13. Vaporizer66

Vaporizer66 Full Member

May 7, 2015
    I just started to rebuild, I have a question, when do you know it's time to make a new coil?
    I have been vaping on this one for 1week but so far I don't taste anything different, does it taste dull when it got too old? or how do I know?

14. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I personally vape on mine until I feel like rebuilding a new one. I use 22 awg wire, which at 4.3v, has never broken. When the cotton gets nasty in my dripper, I just take it out, dry burn the atty and load new cotton.

I'm sure some will tell you it should be changed every x number of hours use but I'm not interested in optimal performance or worried about long term use because my long term is well in the past tense. I took care of that with 43 years of smoking. ;):)

15. Ariel_MX

Ariel_MX Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2010
    Guadalajara, México
    I replace the coil when it is easier to build and replace it than cleaning it:

Sometimes there is much gunk on the coil that it is much easier build a new one than do the whole process of cleaning it (dry burn it, brush it, rinse it, etc), besides that it gives you the chance to clean all the residues of liquid in your atomizer (vaporization section).

16. pjmarkert

pjmarkert Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Lake View, NY
    I get 3-4 months out of a coil and change the cotton every couple weeks. Take out the cotton, heat to red hot, release the switch and immediately dip it into running water, coils come out shiny new.

17. Vaporizer66

Vaporizer66 Full Member

May 7, 2015
    3-4 months wow! I guess they will work indefinitely if they are not broken? Thanks for the tip pjmarkert,
    I just realised how much cheaper rebuilding must be than to always buying those coils for my old Nautilus.

18. Skeintastic

Skeintastic Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2016
  19. Gramdogg

Gramdogg Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2016
    Fredericton NB Canada
    My main reason for choosing nichrome last order, ramp up speed. I run a single 18650 so shorter puffs or slightly lower watts for the same result is a bonus.

20. diabolicandy

diabolicandy Full Member

Sep 3, 2017
    London, England
    I find that, once I've cut my wire to the length required, if I give it a few wipes with a bit of cotton or tissue that's been wet with surgical spirit, (rubbing alcohol), and let it dry for a few moments I get a much cleaner taste from a new coil. I mainly build with SS316L but found the same effect on Kanthal A1. I use SS now because noticeably less metallic taste than Kanthal coils. Its a great wire to work with too. Also spaced coils all the way; NO hot-spots and considerably less gunk build up. (SS316L, 3mm id, 9 wraps, 0.5mm spacing in Big Baby RBA with Native Wicks cotton minimal wicks @ 47w = flavour NIRVANA, no leaks, 1 week between wick changes and 8 months now on same coil!)