Status
Not open for further replies.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I just ordered some Titanium wire just wondering what others experience with it is. Im having a hard time with nickel It might be in my head but Im allergic to nickel if I where metal with nickel in it I get a rash. When I vape nickel coils I get a sore throat. It dose not happen with my Ithaka or ody using nickel legs for the coils. but then again Im not really vaping off of the legs like I am nickel coils.

Id be interested if anybody else with a metal allergy has a reaction when vaping?
[h=3][/h]

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I've been tracking this issue from before the DNA40 launch and it does not seem to cause problems for nickel-sensitive individuals. There have been some reports of sore throat from NON nickel sensitive individuals, which as far as I've seen traces back to the differences in vape from temperature controlled devices.

I agree that generally it isn't a issue for people with Ni allergy but that's two people apparently with a problem in less than 24 hours! Something is up but i agree it is hard to believe that Ni is being released into the vapour...I sincerely hope that isn't the case!

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I agree that generally it isn't a issue for people with Ni allergy but that's two people apparently with a problem in less than 24 hours! Something is up but i agree it is hard to believe that Ni is being released into the vapour...I sincerely hope that isn't the case!

It is not. The sore throat "issue" has been reported by others, who do NOT have contact sensitivity, and it turns out to not be nickel.

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
It is not. The sore throat "issue" has been reported by others, who do NOT have contact sensitivity, and it turns out to not be nickel.

I have not had any issues with it, but it would be nice to see a study with results and such...

No offense, but just because you say it is not an issue does not make it so... Do you have a source?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I have not had any issues with it, but it would be nice to see a study with results and such...

No offense, but just because you say it is not an issue does not make it so... Do you have a source?

There have been many studies looking for contaminants and toxins in vapor... so far few have turned up any nickel, and those that have have found them in isolated products in trace amounts. Given the prevalence of nichrome coils in tested products, that is strong evidence nickel does not leach into liquid or vapor.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I've been using Ti with good results but the jury still seems to be out using it for vaping because of a lack of studies (that I know of). It performs really well for me and the vapor is excellent. I use 24ga grade one and six spaced wraps which gives me .21Ω @ 300°. Refinement is almost non-existent with .01 float tops so far on my drippers.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I've been using Ti with good results but the jury still seems to be out using it for vaping because of a lack of studies (that I know of). It performs really well for me and the vapor is excellent. I use 24ga grade one and six spaced wraps which gives me .21Ω @ 300°. Refinement is almost non-existent with .01 float tops so far on my drippers.

I was gonna order some when I posted the thread from the vendor you mentioned but Im changing job sights I gotta go to Dallas Sat from the bay area for some special training then off to OH so I gotta wait till I get settled in before I can order some. But Ill be trying some very soon.

whiteweazel21

Jan 16, 2015
Waiting on my first temp control mod, already purchased soft nickel and hard nickel to play with, curious about titanium.

First question is about touching coils. With nickel it seems you can wrap touching coils, can you do that with titanium too? Think I read somewhere titanium coils NEED to be spaced or they will short.

Also, what suppliers are people using? I saw one in Europe, one on Etsy, and there was one in the US called sweetspotvapors. I contacted the US vendor but never got a reply. What else is available for grade 1 ti wire?

Thanks

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Waiting on my first temp control mod, already purchased soft nickel and hard nickel to play with, curious about titanium.

First question is about touching coils. With nickel it seems you can wrap touching coils, can you do that with titanium too? Think I read somewhere titanium coils NEED to be spaced or they will short.

Also, what suppliers are people using? I saw one in Europe, one on Etsy, and there was one in the US called sweetspotvapors. I contacted the US vendor but never got a reply. What else is available for grade 1 ti wire?

Thanks
My guess it's the opposite. Since titanium will form a layer of titanium dioxide which isn't conductive you might have better luck than with nickel that usually plays havoc.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
My guess it's the opposite. Since titanium will form a layer of titanium dioxide which isn't conductive you might have better luck than with nickel that usually plays havoc.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

thats a good point. I might give it a try later!

215Z

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Oakland, CA, USA
Whiteweazel21 I bought 24ga gr 1 wire from Gallium Source via Amazon.

I also had bought 28ga and 30g from UnkamenSupplies via Etsy.

For single coil TC, I prefer the 24ga.

Edit: I have not had any problems so far with contact coils. Like with Kanthal, I wind everything on a 1.5mm Artistic, mount on an RDA and compress while pulsing the heat.

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Whiteweazel21 I bought 24ga gr 1 wire from Gallium Source via Amazon.

I also had bought 28ga and 30g from UnkamenSupplies via Etsy.

For single coil TC, I prefer the 24ga.

Edit: I have not had any problems so far with contact coils. Like with Kanthal, I wind everything on a 1.5mm Artistic, mount on an RDA and compress while pulsing the heat.

have you seen any indication of oxidation of the wire with dry pulsing??

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
What's the difference between the 24ga and 28/30 titanium? I heard Unkamen's wire is very springy, how about the 24g? What is the reason for preferring the 24g for singles?

Also, between the providers, is there a difference in finish? I saw Unkamen's wire is matte, is the 24g the same?

Thanks!

it should all be matte! It is oxidised on the surface!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread