Nicotine and your heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
RustyLug: my friend, one of the reasons I prefer the 36 mg is that the nicotine strength weakens from light and heat. A bottle that says 36 may be much weaker after storage and shipping even from domestic sources. By the time it sits around my home, it's weaker still. I've never noticed the same 'hit' from 36 mg that I experience from even a light analogue cigarette. Does anybody else out there have the same experience?

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I have emailed Dr. Chellappan, one of the authors of the article "Nicotine induces cell proliferation, invasion and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in a variety of human cancer cell lines" asking for an opinion as to how the research applies to non-smoking nicotine users. The article (which can be downloaded at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121432008/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0 stated that there is a dose-response relationship. Since blood levels of nicotine are typically lower in those get their nicotine from gum, lozenges, and inhalers, could they quantify the increased risk, if any. If I get a response, I will will post it here.

I just wanted to say thanks for the great info in this thread. It has made me feel alot better. I have been a 2 pack a day smoker for 5 years and now have been analog free for 35 days. I feel great, but was worried if I still would have a high risk for heart disease. I am 26 years old, and recently decided to get healthy, and quit smoking, limit my caffeine intake to 1 cup of coffee in the am, eat better, and started exercising. What I thought might of been heart issues turned out to be from bad posture working at a computer for 10-12 hours a day, for 10 years. I had been having pains in my shoulders and chest and recently found out it was a very normal issue with people who work at computers all the time. I still had been having panic attacks about it and even when vaping felt like it was gonna cause a heart attack. I feel alot better now thanks! I will def talk to a doctor though, and get checked just in case.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Since this thread has been resurrected I will add my $0.02 to the mix. I am a poster boy for heart blockages. I had a 5 line bypass surgery in 2004. Fortunately I was only suffering from 90% in the worst line and the others were 70 to 80%. So the bottom line is that I never had a heart attack. So I do not suffer from damage to my heart. I am positive that my doctor will say that I should stay away from anything that would increase my risk of another blockage. Most doctors I have dealt with don't understand what type of addiction we are dealing with.

Now on to the other benefits. I had pneumonia right after my heart surgery and 3 more time since then. I had developed asthma and was pre-COPD. This was a condition that was as serious as the heart issue. It was definitely getting worse as days went by. Since I have quit smoking I have had a complete reversal of my breathing condition. I no longer suffer from asthma I no longer have any of the breathing problems period.

There is a long list of other benefits that I have received since I quit smoking. If you have quit smoking you know what I'm talking about so I won't go into detail here.

So, considering that the choice in my case is in only smoking or vaping, I believe that the choice is clear. Does nicotine increase my risk of further heart problems, yes it does. The best possible choice would for me to completely stop anything related to cigarettes. This is the best choice for anyone. I would do it if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread