Nicotine Concentrate Turning Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Liquid nicotine will normally turn darkish when exposed to oxygen or heat. Oxygen doesn't affect it in any way other than the darker color. Heat exposure may decrease its potency. That's why I don't recommend using heat to steep e-liquid.

Nicotine should be good for at least 2 years unless you keep it stored in a freezer.

Ejuice-Steeping.png

e-liquid naturally turns darker over time.
Why E-liquid Changes Color

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
From everything I know, which isn't a lot, the nicotine will oxidize over time and turn yellowish then brown. Freezing the nic base will slow this down considerably. The reason the store bought juice is darker may be that the juice is older and may have been sitting on the shelf for a while, or it may have some darker flavoring.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
My guess is it's mostly likely oxidation/degradation from the storage conditions.

Nic is in a PG or VG base and will keep clear for years, properly stored in a freezer.

You may have lost a bit of potency, but it will vape just fine. I honestly prefer the taste a little better with age.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unless your VG itself was contaminated, I don't really see how a bit of VG being in there is a problem. Think about it. If every time you added nic to VG it caused contamination, well, we would actually be unable to make flavors.

As others have said, it's probably just oxidization, and the reason why most DIY will freeze large quantities of nicotine to halt the oxidation process, and keep a smaller amount in the refrigerator for mixing. If it's in a light colored bottle, or hot conditions, it will darken.

If it doesn't taste horrible, have things floating in it or otherwise turning VERY odd colors like bright red, it's probably fine. If you have a tolerance for somewhat oxidized nic, I don't see any reason for you not to use it, but maybe store it in the fridge from now on so you aren't exposing it to further light and heat. And read up on storage of nicotine so you know what to do with the next batch you purchase.

Good luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread