Nicotine e-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millza07

Aug 3, 2018
Hi,

I have just bought a 100ml bottle of unflavoured (25mg) nicotine in VG. I had this idea that instead of having nicotine mints I could just apply some of the pure nicotine to my skin and it would be better for me (who knows whats in the mints..). But Now I'm reading all these forums of how dangerous it is to put on your skin and im not sure i understand the calculations.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
I don't believe that 25mg in 100 is "pure" nicotine. I understand your thinking but how much mixture would spread on your skin to achieve what dose. I don't know either, so I think this is a poorly thought out idea. The FDA knows what goes into the nicotine mints as well as patches and gum and they know what dose you will receive by using the products. If you just want the convenience of putting something on your skin and then forget about it go for the patches.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Understand this....DO NOT PUT NICOTINE ON YOUR SKIN ON PURPOSE!! If you accidentally get it on your skin, wash it off immediately. Is that clear enough for you or do you need someone to draw you a picture?

I agree in essence with what you're saying. I was trying to be a bit more tactful with a new member. But your point is well made.

Reactions: stols001

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
There should there be an ingredients list on the packet of nicotine mints; why not read it if you want to know what's in them? o_O

I would not recommend rubbing the nic juice onto your skin - nicotine juice is designed to be vaped. Not ingested or used transdermally.

If you are determined to go the transdermal route then, like an earlier poster, I would suggest using a nicotine patch.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I have licked e-juice and spilt plenty on my skin. Usually, you shouldn't need to worry.

I've not spilt 25mg but I have a total bottle of 18mg.

Everyone is right. Strong Nicotine can kill.... we know this because of tobacco farmers (slaves) dying from handling wet leaves.

Don't mess with it. Show it some respect, especially using 72 or 100mg.

A patch is the way forward. You can spend $1 or $20 on a packet... if the US is like the UK, it depends how much of a mug (fool) you are where you buy the patches.

In the UK. The same patches...

In a pharmacy = £20
In a supermarket = £10-15
In the right shop = £5 or so.

I use Nicotine gum. About 3 cents a piece. 30 cents a piece in a proper pharmacy. Same product. (2mg per gum)

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You are right it is a crazy sort of idea. I can see the appeal but I'm afraid transdermal nicotine has to be calculated pretty carefully and designed so it doesn't all get released at once. Also, you have no idea what amount to start with, how much would be "too much" for you, and transdermal absorption is a PROCESS that takes time. So, you can stop vaping, you can spit out a nicotine lozenge, etc. and the process is halted. Your skin is many layers deep, so even if you rip of your nic juice saturated bandaid or whatever you were hoping to use, well, nicotine absorption cannot be stopped INSTANTEOUSLY, more nic is trapped in your skin layers and will continue to be absorbed, whether you want that or not.

Really, unless you'd like to try vaping, I am afraid you more or less wasted your time and money.

I do use alternate nic products, including in the past lozenges or gum and never noticed any ill effects. Now when I cannot vape I use snus, which is also a decent harm reduction method.

But things are formulated the way they are for a reason and that reason is, different types of nicotine are designed for different things and vape liquid is NOT designed for that, and it sounds like you have a potent ENOUGH batch (although it's not pure nicotine) that you could quite easily do yourself some damage. Give it to a DIY vaper who can use it how it's intended.

I'm not going to shame you for being "stupid" or anything else, but I am going to recommend you maybe talk to your doc about and alternate method that has less probability to harm you.

Good luck and I'm glad you asked the question rather than finding out the hard way.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread