nicotine from other sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewsterfrank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
this is from my post in the legislation news section. how would you, if it is even possible to extract nicotine from other plants that or not in the tobacco family? just wondering cause if the government succeeds in taxing e-juice as a tobacco product getting the nicotine from another source would make it possible to by-pass tobacco taxes. at least according to my thought process.
ok this is an old article but i have just run across it. FDA to Regulate E-Cigarettes Just Like Tobacco if the fda plans on regulating e-juice like tobacco we will have to start paying way higher prices for our juice. but what about all the other plants that contain nicotine. would it not be possible to extract nicotine from the eggplant or the many other types of nightshade plants and be able to keep from having to classify it as a tobacco type product?

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Tobacco has the highest Nicotine content of the nightshade family. But yes other plants could be used like , tomatoes , potatoes , peppers and so on. Might need a huge amount though to make some nic. Just grow your own tobacco you can grow quite a bit of it for your own personal use. Seeds can be gotten online from quite a few places.

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
I am sure it is possible, anything is possible. It's just the thought of the quantity a person would need of the other plants to extract enough nicotine from them. From what I understand, those plants do contain nicotine, but in small amounts. I am no expert by any means, but from what I understand, tobacco carries the highest amounts of nicotine. Like I said, I am no expert and could be wrong. Hopefully one of our chemical experts will tune in to this thread and give us their wisdom!!

brewsterfrank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
it is true that they have allot lower levels. i was just thinking it "could be" a possible alternative to tobacco nicotine. as for the amounts needed though i would be able to grow enough regular plants or tobacco for my own use. my property has a two acre garden that i have never used, it was used for years before i got the land, i just prefer to buy veggies as to grew them though, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread