Nicotine Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MemphisMisfit

Apr 5, 2013
Memphis, TN
I am trying to determine how much nicotine I am consuming on a daily basis. Every other nicotine deliverance system I know of (patches/gum/analogs) has a set amount per item. Each patch has the same, each piece of gum the same, etc. This allows me to control the amount of nicotine I am receiving on a daily basis.

So, my question is, how is the nicotine levels in e-juice calculated? If I get a 5ml bottle of juice with 12mg of nicotine and a 30ml bottle with 12mg, what would be the difference? By these numbers, I would get the same daily amount of nicotine from both bottles. If I vaped the 5ml in one day, I would get a daily dose of 12mg. If I vaped the 30ml bottle in one day, then I would still only get a daily dose of 12mg. Is this correct, or is there another way to determine how much nicotine I am getting on a daily basis?

asf146

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
yukon, oklahoma
taking out of account what type of tank someone is using or how much vapor they produce etc, I would guess that about 2.5ml or 3ml is equal to a pack of smokes? thats only if you absorbed and took in ALL the nicotine per ml volume. this is only a guess based off my own needs and vaping habits though. someone correct me if I'm wrong in any of this lol.

your not taking it as deep into the lungs as a cig, so you will find that you vape longer per session, than the 5 min you smoked a cig.
nic delivery is over a longer period of time and slower moving as well.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
I am trying to determine how much nicotine I am consuming on a daily basis. Every other nicotine deliverance system I know of (patches/gum/analogs) has a set amount per item. Each patch has the same, each piece of gum the same, etc. This allows me to control the amount of nicotine I am receiving on a daily basis.

So, my question is, how is the nicotine levels in e-juice calculated? If I get a 5ml bottle of juice with 12mg of nicotine and a 30ml bottle with 12mg, what would be the difference? By these numbers, I would get the same daily amount of nicotine from both bottles. If I vaped the 5ml in one day, I would get a daily dose of 12mg. If I vaped the 30ml bottle in one day, then I would still only get a daily dose of 12mg. Is this correct, or is there another way to determine how much nicotine I am getting on a daily basis?

12mg per milliliter. So if you have a 5ml bottle with 12mg/ml: 5x12=60mg of nicotine in that bottle. 30ml bottle: 30x12=360mg of nicotine in the 30ml bottle.

But it's difficult (maybe impossible) to say just how much is being vaporized. But wait, there's more! It's also difficult to say how much is absorbed. We really don't know the answer. The efficacy of vaporizing nicotine is less than that of the nicotine absorbed via smoking. In short, it's impossible to know exactly how much nicotine you're absorbing per vape or per day. You can't just go off the number on the bottle.

What we do know is that vaping is less efficient at delivering nicotine than smoking. That's all that can be stated as fact, besides the arithmetic above.

Last edited:

watson_5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
If I vaped the 5ml in one day, I would get a daily dose of 12mg. If I vaped the 30ml bottle in one day, then I would still only get a daily dose of 12mg. Is this correct,
No.
It is in fact mg/ml. So 10 ml of 12mg juice in a day would result in
10 * 12 = 120 mg of nicotine that day.
Or in your example
5 * 12 = 60 mg nic one day
30 * 12 = 360 mg nic the other day
Hope that helps

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Im not sure anyone has heled you figure this out the way you need? Thefollowing link helped me find the exact analog I was smoking before I quit. For Me, moving to Vape ONLY, I needed to be completely certain I wasnt going to crave nicotine! I ordered a bit higher than the usual "over the counter" 12 mg for full flavor vendor recommendation. I saw in other countries- great Britain for example they vape higher than we do in the USA with 18mg and higher common. I'd been a full flavor smoker. After completely getting off the old butts I started to reexamine my mg of nicotine. Hope this helps. Nicotine, Tar, and CO Content of Domestic Cigarettes

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

I think you're taking for granted a few issues with those "other" systems of nicotine delivery that would have the same pitfalls as vaping with trying to accurately asess how much you are getting (although, I think Shatner laid it out pretty well from a theoretical standpoint, and I think that may be what you are after?)

These are some problems I see with with believing that you can "control the amount of nicotine [you are] receiving on a daily basis" with those other methods vs. vaping:

~ If smoking a Marlboro Light, which has about .5 mg of nicotine in the whole cigarette, does that mean you get .5 mg per cigarette? Would you have to smoke the whole thing with absolutely no break? I have not seen any smoker smoke that way. How long do you hold the smoke in your lungs? Does that effect the final tally of nicotine delivered? Absorbed? If so, how much?

~ With gum, if you buy 4 mg Nicorette gum, does if give 4 mg over a course of a certain time frame? Or for every bite? Nicorette slowly releases nicotine in your system by "activating it" from chewing when you get a craving. How much is delivered while it is resting in between your teeth and cheeks? Some? None? How long are your chews? Incessant? A chew here and a chew there?

~ With chewing gum, how alkaline is your saliva? If you've eaten acidic foods prior to getting a craving and you chew too soon, have you affected your mouth's pH? How much? Eating certain foods and or drinking certain liquids can block some absorption of nicotine in the lining of your mouth (as stated in the Nicorette's FAQ). But how much is getting blocked?

~ With the patch, one of the warnings is to not exercise while wearing. The nicotine in the patch is delivered slowly into your bloodstream. Exercise will elevate heat rate, which increases blood flow, and that in turn will impact the rate and amount of nicotine being delivered into the blood. But by how much? Having said that, what activity constitutes as exercise? Running to catch a bus? Unloading multiple bags of groceries from your car and walking them up a flight of stairs? What about, maybe not exercise, but if you are having a stressful day or you work in a fast paced environment like in a restaurant? What if you work on a loading dock? Is that exercise? I don't know, but I bet in all those instances you'd have an elevated heart rate with increased blood flow.

So now where are we?

As with all substances, nicotine not being an exception, you use it until you have had enough. You use the strength that satisfies the way you like to be satisfied. This varies per individual. Vape a high mg and get satisfied quicker; vape a low mg and chase the feeling. Who is getting more? Who is getting less? It always depends, but I can tell you that I stop vaping when my body says "ENOUGH!"

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Some things to take into consideration:

1) The amount of nicotine in your e-liquid is measured in MG (Milligram) per ML (Milliliter).
So if your juice says 18mg nicotine, for example....it means there is 18mg of nicotine per EVERY milliliter in the bottle.

2) There is no way to determine exactly how much nicotine your body is absorbing. HOWEVER, there IS a way to find a constant (You wont know the AMOUNT of nicotine your body is getting, but you will have a CONSTANT with which to work).

For example. You would hypothetically use e-liquid that has the same nicotine level, and also use the same battery, and same tank/clearo.

Once you find your sweet spot, then just measure how many mL of juice you are using per day.

For instance, say you are using an eGo-Twist, with an EVOD BCC, and nicotine juice @ 18mg/ml. You find that you are satisfied vaping between 2-3mL of juice per day.

That means, hypothetically, you are VAPING 36-54mg of nicotine per day. That is ASSUMING that the concentration in your e-liquid is mixed well enough so that you are indeed getting 18mg/ml.

HOWEVER, that does NOT mean your body is ABSORBING 36-54mg/day. FAR from it. There is evidence to show that vaping absorbs LESS nicotine than smoking......although no specific numbers have been validated.

My point is, if you want to control your nicotine amount.....you can NOT compare amount vaped per amount you used to smoke.

That means, FORGET about how many cigs/how strong cigs you smoked before. Cigs are now irrelevant.

If you want to measure your nicotine intake, you can't compare different methods of consumption, because the bioavailibility and absorption rates will vary greatly.

Also, different batteries/tank/clearos/etc use different amounts of juice. Therefore, if you want to determine your nicotine intake, I would suggest , for the sake of accuracy, doing so via ONE ecig setup. When you switch to another setup, you will need to find the nicotine intake per THAT setup.

Back to what I was saying. Assuming you are using an ego twist battery, and an evod BCC as an example....and you are vaping 2-3mL of liquid (18mg/ml nicotine level), then that means you need to vape 36mg-54mg of nicotine to be satisfied.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Also, since nicotine is such a fast acting drug, it is quite easy to find your nicotine level via vaping.

Go ahead and get a sample, if you can, if 12mg, 15-16mg, 18mg, and 24mg. There are also lower/higher nic amounts, but I think 12mg-24mg is a good starting point for most ex-smokers.

On Day 1, try 12mg. Day 2 try 15-16mg, and so on, and so on.

Once you find you don't need cigs anymore, and you are fully satisfied, you have found your nic level.

Also, that is just an easy and accurate way to find your nic level. For ME, that is too time consuming, and also too many samples to mess with.

I started with 18mg. At first, I got some headaches, and thought it was too much, and I ordered 15/16mg. By the time the 15/16mg arrived, I had already gotten used to the 18mg, and I found the 15/16mg to be too low.

A few weeks later, I thought the 18mg wasn't enough, so I ordered a 30mL of 24mg. THAT is too much for me. Even a few vapes gets me feeling uncomfortable.

Now I stick to 15-18mg, and it is perfect for me :)

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
The best reply I've seen for this thread really is "As with all substances, nicotine not being an exception, you use it until you have had enough." You will need to find the level of "satisfaction" that is right for you. Its my belief that as human beings this is really going to vary from day to day and week to week. Similar to analog tobacco some days you will vape more, some less. Perhaps this was the joke behind Homer Simpson covering his entire body with nicotine patches when he was first trying to quit smoking! LOL!

I appreciate all the great responses. I made my inquiry a little more complicated than I had intended. I am aware that there are many factors in measuring my daily intake of nicotine, but my concern was with the strength standards in juice. I know that if I wear a patch, I will only get 14mg from that one patch. Same with gum, I will only get a maximum of 4mg with one piece. I had assumed that the labeled nicotine level in juice was per ml, for that would be the logical assumption, but I wasn't sure. Because of the way the juices are labeled/advertised, that could be a dangerous or costly assumption. I have spoken with people who get the 20mg+ levels, because they divide that number by the number of ml in the bottle. I was pretty certain that wasn't the case, but I wanted confirmation.

Thank you again for all the great responses.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
With that being said, do any of you have any sources for it being mg per ml? I believe you guys when you tell me, I am merely curious to the source of the information.

Trust but verify and all that. :)

My sources are all of the vendors I order from. I don't think I have gotten a single e-liquid yet that doesn't SPECIFY **MG/ML.

In other words, most e-liquids will have on their bottle, as an example "18mg/mL"

That means exactly what it sounds like ;)

[EDIT: I just checked all of my bottles. It appears the ones I got from Heather's Heavenly Vapes just say "16MG" on them. I suppose that might be confusing to someone who has never vaped before.

Having said that, you can rest assured, they are ASSUMING you already KNOW that the nicotine content is measured PER milliliter(mL). They ASSUME this, because that is the standard in the vape world. I doubt you will find a legit vendor that measures their nicotine content in a different manner]

Last edited:

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA

Not quite. The factors in nicotine absorption are related to the biological availability of the nicotine present. With the patch and gum it may have X number of mg of nicotine present in the product but typically one absorbs far less than that number (and obviously cannot absorb more than that number).

For example a 4mg piece of nicorette may have far less nicotine biologically available depending on one's chewing habits and what other things they are eating or drinking. Acidic foods and drinks for example make the nicotine far less biologically available because nicotine cannot be absorbed in acidic environment. Which of course is why tobacco is not used digestively, like say caffeine or alcohol, the body simply could not process the nicotine through the digestive tract--though it can through mucosa and the lungs.

Furthermore the patch is heat sensitive--hence the warnings about not exercising while wearing the patch. While no patch or gum would have more nicotine than the amount listed the amount actually absorbed can and does vary greatly.

Also I would say that in my opinion attempting to pin down the exact amount of nicotine you are absorbing per day is a pointless exercise and an over complication. I find no need to know that number (assuming it could even be calculated without using a machine to test the nicotine concentrations in your blood--due to the dozens of variables involved). I find it more relevant to know the amount of ml of juice I need to consume based on the mg/ml strength to be useful information.

For example I need 3 ml of juice at 15mg/ml per day.

So, my question is, how is the nicotine levels in e-juice calculated? If I get a 5ml bottle of juice with 12mg of nicotine and a 30ml bottle with 12mg, what would be the difference?

Nicotine strength of a juice is calculated by the number of milligrams of nicotine per milliliter of liquid. Or mg/mL.

A 12mg/ml (which is the standard way nicotine is listed for e-juice) is 12mg/ml regardless the size of the bottle. The only difference between a 5ml bottle of juice at 12mg/ml and a 30ml bottle at 12mg/ml is the size of the bottle. (assuming we're talking about both juice bottles containing the same flavor)

It is like trying to argue the difference between two cars of the same model with only one being modified to have a 5 gallon tank instead of a 30 gallon tank. There is no difference except one of the two cars holds a larger volume of gas.

That said, a 5ml bottle of juice at 12mg/ml has 60mg of nicotine in it, and a 30ml bottle at 12mg/ml has 360mg of nicotine in it. However both of those numbers is irrelevant. Like the car with the bigger gas tank the 30ml bottle has more nicotine contained in it, but the fact that it does is irrelevant.

By these numbers, I would get the same daily amount of nicotine from both bottles. If I vaped the 5ml in one day, I would get a daily dose of 12mg. If I vaped the 30ml bottle in one day, then I would still only get a daily dose of 12mg. Is this correct, or is there another way to determine how much nicotine I am getting on a daily basis?

No by those numbers you would not get 12mg of nicotine if you vaped 5ml of juice at 12mg/ml you would have vaped 60mg of nicotine. How much nicotine you absorbed is anyone's guess--unless you're hooked up to a machine to test the nicotine concentration in your blood. Again the absorption of nicotine has very many variables.

That said I don't know anyone whose vaped 30ml of juice regardless its mg/ml content in a single day. The heaviest vapers I know only vape around 6ml a day. They also vape at quite low concentrations of nicotine (9mg/ml and 6mg/ml respectively).

If your ultimate goal is to quit nicotine altogether my suggestion would be to not worry about the number of milligrams of nicotine you absorb per day--because honestly that number is an unknown unless you are hooked up to a machine to test your blood--and it is an unnecessary over complication. That over complication could lead to frustration and that frustration could lead to a relapse into smoking. (Believe me when I tried "quitting" smoking before I failed due to frustration more than anything else.)

I would further suggest that if your end goal is to quit nicotine that you gradually lower the concentration in mg/ml of your juice and the number of ml/day of juice you vape.

Indeed Mrs. Katz asked me earlier this week if I was planning to quit nicotine altogether. I said no, I have no such plans--and I don't. My plan is to gradually lower my nicotine level over time. Mostly because I've found that lower mg/ml nicotine juices taste better. The fact that I'm absorbing less nicotine than I did previously is of little consequence.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
With that being said, do any of you have any sources for it being mg per ml? I believe you guys when you tell me, I am merely curious to the source of the information.

Trust but verify and all that. :)

That is a standard unit of measurement in chemistry or in doses. Look at a basic chemisty book.

I understand many of you believe I want to determine the EXACT amount of nicotine I consume on a daily basis. I apologize for that misunderstanding. I am very well aware of the numerous factors determining my nicotine consumption. That is not what I am doing and is irrelevant to my question. Again, I apologize for being inadvertently misleading.

I keep hearing many of you state that mg per ml (mg/ml) is a "standard", however that would imply an agreed upon system of measurement for e-juice. A system that I have yet to confirm.

None of the bottles I have list the mg/ml standard. The closest I have found was a bottle of Wicked brand (Red Label) that states it is "1.8% per volume". This does not equate with mg/ml.

If mg/ml is the standard, then by using a 12mg strength bottle of juice, I would theoretically only get a maximum of 6mg of nicotine in 0.5ml of juice. I do not believe this to be true. I believe that a single drop of 12mg juice would contain 1.2% nicotine. This is what "per volume" would actually infer.

Now, unless someone can point me in the direction of a governing body for e-juice manufacturing that states the nicotine strength is measured on a mg/ml basis, then I would have to say these are just guesses on the part of the author and not from an agreed upon industrial standard.

I may be wrong, but I have yet to see evidence to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread