Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I ran across these articles this morning. Very interesting.

Nicotine High-Toxicity Myth Destroyed - Blog
The ridiculous situation of nicotine being classified as more toxic than cyanide has persisted far too long, and is undoubtedly due to ideological pressure. That time is now over, because on 4th October 2013 a renowned toxicologist, Prof Bernd Mayer of Uo Graz, Austria, finally dispelled this long-standing myth. He investigated all aspects of the issue and concluded that the current LD50 amount (the dose expected to kill 50% of those who receive it) is at least 10 times and possibly 20 times too low. - See more at: Nicotine High-Toxicity Myth Destroyed - Blog

Nicotine lethal dose in humans: a common argument by regulatory authorities, based on poor science
Yesterday however, a very important review was published in Archives of Toxicology. Professor Bernd Mayer from the University of Gratz performed an extensive review of available literature in an effort to identify the existing proof for defining the nicotine lethal dose in humans. He has also found several references mentioning that the acute lethal dose in humans has been estimated to be 50-60mg. However, no proof was provided for such figures. He had to go back to the mid of the 19th century to find that the lethal dose came from self experiments of Austrian pharmacologists, who described really peculiar and unrealistic symptoms after ingesting just 1-4mg of nicotine. Therefore, reports based on dubious experiments and results 150 years ago are still reproduced today…
Nicotine lethal dose in humans: a common argument by regulatory authorities, based on poor science

How much nicotine kills a human? Tracing back the generally accepted lethal dose to dubious self-experiments in the nineteenth century - Springer

The human toxicity of nicotine has become increasingly relevant in the past couple of years through marketing of new nicotine-containing products, such as smokeless tobacco and liquids for electronic nicotine delivery systems (electronic cigarettes) that are freely available in most countries. Standard textbooks, databases, and safety sheets consistently state that the lethal dose for adults is 60 mg or less (30–60 mg), leading to safety warnings that ingestion of five cigarettes or 10 ml of a dilute nicotine-containing solution could kill an adult. The 60-mg dose would correspond to an oral LD50 of around 0.8 mg/kg, a dose that is considerably smaller than the values determined for laboratory animals, which are ranging from 3.3 (mice) to more than 50 mg/kg (rats) (Hayes 1982). How much nicotine kills a human? Tracing back the generally accepted lethal dose to dubious self-experiments in the nineteenth century - Springer

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I was just about to post one of these myself.

Here is another one.

How Toxic is Nicotine? | Experts' Corner | Big Think

I'm surprised that this hasn't received more attention. I would have thought that vapers would want to know that the commonly cited nicotine lethal doses are more myth than science.

Last edited:

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Sorry to dig this up, but has there been any more new evidence to support these findings?
For starters remember we're speaking about a natural plant product. yes many things in nature are toxic...
so secondly consider the tiny, fractional micrograms and milligrams that are being diluted in VG and PG....but still
its the "one" ingredient everyone is focused on!. Oh ....give me a break. I almost bought into the hype (like an idiot)
going for spinal surgery again...and previously having been a smoker remembered all the criticism and hype from doctors over smoking and healing. Although I always healed as well as anyone in my age group. Even so, once again in spring 2016, I was back at PubMed and searching any and everything published on nicotine and bones. You know what a few hundred hours of reading taught me?
I hope you already know. Leading Doctors at the finest hospitals world wide would prefer patients that are smokers switch to e-cigarettes if they're unable to completely stop smoking any other way. No longer do hospitals ask, "Are you a smoker?, if so we'll order the appropriate dosage transdermal patch during your hospital stay" Theres now growing acceptance and respect for vaping in the medical industry. I said I vaped and was correctly listed as non-smoker, occasionally former smoker. I wasnt told not to vape.
And all those hundreds of hours reading about rat bone development in medical journals? Not one strong conclusion pointed to serious problems from nicotine. Ofcourse I know its a vaso constrictor. So is caffeine, and I wasnt refused a cup of tea in the hospitals!
Perspective, folks...what happened to it?
Cheers...vape on.

Anastasia

Nov 25, 2016
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Off Topic and managed to get past closed thread to post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread