Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Untitled Document
1 March 2010
New nicotine cigarette gives rapid lung delivery of nicotine

After tests by Health New Zealand Ltd and Christchurch Clinical Studies Trust in Christchurch NZ in 2009, this product is now ready for commercialization as a smoking substitute or as a stop smoking medicine.
SRNT 2010_ PosterAbstract_ Rose.doc
This device was tested for Duke University (the patent holders), in 2009 on nine healthy smokers. Results were announced by Principal Investigator Dr Jed Rose, of Duke University at the 16th Annual Conference of the Society for Research on Nicotine and tobacco (SRNT), Baltimore, Maryland, USA on 27 February 2010. The inventors are Rose, his brother Dr Seth Rose, an organic chemistry professor; Dr Jim Turner, a co-inventor of the nicotine inhaler; and Dr Raju Murugesan, a pharmacologist at Duke. Dr Laugesen and Dr Chris Wynne of Christchurch Clinical Studies Trust were co-authors for this SRNT paper, entitled
Pulmonary delivery of Nicotine Pyruvate: Pharmacokinetic and Sensory Characteristics

Untitled Document

From WebMD Health News

New Nicotine Inhaler May Help Smokers Quit

Daniel J. DeNoon
Authors and Disclosures

March 3, 2010 — A new type of smoke-free inhaler gives would-be quitters a vapor with nearly as much nicotine as a cigarette.
Nicotine replacement is one of the most effective tools for helping smokers quit, says Jed Rose, PhD, director of the Duke Center for Nicotine and Smoking Cessation Research.
"There is the patch, gum, lozenges, and the current inhaler. But none effectively satisfy a smoker's craving for the act of inhaling and feeling nicotine going into the lungs and giving that rapid boost of nicotine into the bloodstream in a user-friendly way," Rose tells WebMD.
The problem is that cigarettes are still the most efficient nicotine-delivery device ever created, says Scott McIntosh, PhD, associated director of the smoking research program at the University of Rochester, N.Y., who was not involved in the Rose project.
"It would be great to have a product that would deliver nicotine as well as a cigarette," McIntosh tells WebMD.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/717866

Last edited by a moderator:

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
Someone needs to tell Drs. Rose that there is already a rapid nicotine delivery system on the market that by 2013 or so will have already saved MILLIONS of lives without dependence on BP or BT. Not that they'd be interested...

Maybe when the NP inhaler FINALLY reaches the market, some intelligent study will compare it to a good e-cig and THEN let's see what the participants prefer. Everyone who has tried a Nic inhaler knows how useless they are.

Last edited:

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
Someone needs to tell Drs. Rose that there is already a rapid nicotine delivery system on the market that by 2013 or so will have already saved MILLIONS of lives without dependence on BP or BT. Not that they'd be interested...

Maybe when the NP inhaler FINALLY reaches the market, some intelligent study will compare it to a good e-cig and THEN let's see what the participants prefer. Everyone who has tried a Nic inhaler knows how useless they are.

Yeah...I'm in that category..the Nicotrol Inhaler was AWFUL, lol! I suppose that this new device will also look like a cheap plastic throw away and not produce the vapor or the flavors that we all enjoy....well, if it helps one person, I guess it will be worth it. For me and my house....E cigs ALL THE WAY!

The frustrating thing about that whole article is the fact that they tout it as being so innovative, totally new, yadda, yadda, yadda. E-cigs? HELLO! No mention of something similar ALREADY ON THE MARKET. And I am suspcious of this "prymvate." IF the FDA approves it, bet there will be a laundry list of side effects and symptoms, lol!

Rar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2011
Champlain Valley, NY
Well, the Inhaler worked at one time for me a few years ago. I started with the patch AND the inhaler. After a couple of weeks, I went off the patch and continued with the inhaler. In fact, I kept using the inhaler and when my insurance company wouldn't pay for it anymore, purchased it outright. I managed to stay smoke free for a couple of years. When my twin sister passed away 3 years ago, I resumed smoking, but still continued with the inhaler. I was NEVER without my inhaler and even slept with it. In February, I read about the e-cigs - I had never even heard of them. When I first started vaping, I vaped, smoked analogs and puffed on my inhaler. Then I cut the inhaler and a few days later, cut out the analogs. I'm happily vaping, because it is far more satisfying than the inhaler.

Reactions: dansus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread