Nicotine strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
I think it depends which cigarettes you smoke. I switched to 6mg when I started vaping, and really didn't have any withdrawals other than being a bit sleepy for a couple of days.

I found this chart before I tried to switch, so it might be helpful for you, too.
Nicotine, Tar, and CO Content of Regular Cigarette Brands in 2007

ETA: I believe they mean micrograms per cigarette, not milligrams.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Imho you'll go through withdrawal regardless of mgs, that's just how it goes when your body is getting rid of all those chemicals in smokes. I was about a pack a day myself and i started around the same as you (12mg) and the hardest part for me was the first morning smoke, though it was kinda easy to quit for me it might not be for you, the best trick i've found to keep vaping was simply finding flavors i liked,and even a year later i still get odd cravings for smokes even though i can't even stand the smell anymore, but i keep it interesting that's my way of keeping on the vaping train :p

Best of luck to you and welcome to ecf btw :)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Welcome aboard :)

I was a pack a day smoker, quit on 18mg, knocked down to 12mg after 2 months.

All I can suggest is trialling the 12mg - chain vaping thru your cravings - and if you are still climbing the walls - go up in strength to get you over that initial quit period.

Good luck :)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    You should be ok on 12mg. When you get the craving for a cig, vape like theres no tomorrow. Thats how i managed, especially with the first thing in the mornin thing. Thats when i really felt like having a marlboro. Good fresh cup of coffee and a cig or 4. I made myself vape instead. Chain vape, in fact, till i got a bit lightheaded even. I actually started with 18mg and after a month or so dropped down to 12mg. Stayed at 12 til i got my first "big" mod and started sub ohming. Ive used 6mg since then. It takes the body a little while to get used to this form of nicotine, but i really cant recall any major withdrawal symptoms, other than the urge to light up a marlboro. In that case, i would vape heavily till the urge went away. But, everybody reacts differently to quitting cigs so best advice is work with it till you find your sweet spot. One thing we all have in common is that sweet spot where vaping works.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    Yeah; I vaped like crazy, too. I did have some uncomfortable sensations -headaches, for one. I treated the symptoms; Tylenol for headaches, Tums for heartburn, etc. And I slept a LOT.

I had a plan in place before I got started, and it helped a lot:

1) Control the current smoking. I only allowed myself to smoke once per hour, and had to sit in one place to do it. That made smoking a bit of a PITA, as I had to interrupt other activities, and ostracize myself to do it. I told myself "when I quit smoking, I won't have to do this" and promised myself "I won't limit how much, or where, or when".
    2) Stay away from other people who smoke. This was (is) a bit rough, as my friends are usually pretty supportive and help me when things get tough. But I already knew they would continue to smoke, and it would continue to tempt me and make quitting more difficult.
    3) Buy any vaping supplies I needed or wanted, and not be cheap or chintzy about it. Granted the first setup I bought turned out to be very unreliable ( :( ) but I did research it before I chose it and bought it because it seemed like the best choice for my lifestyle. If it had simply functioned as intended, I would still be using it.
    4) Reward myself for every success. 15 minutes without smoking? Awesome! Have some hot chocolate or take a bubble bath. A day without smoking? Awesome! Go out to dinner or buy myself a gift or take a short trip somewhere.
    5) Ignore the failures. Had a cigarette? Oh well...Rome wasn't built in a day.... Never dwell on the failures or allow myself to feel like I've made a mistake. Just put it behind me and try again.

I made the plan before I even bought my supplies, and did so many self pep-talks that once the stuff was actually there in my hand, I switched without ever smoking another cigarette. On about day 3 or 4 I got rid of the cigarettes I had left, and that was that.

If I could do it, so can you. You've got this! :) :)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Will you go through nicotine withdrawal at 12 mg? It's hard to say. There's nothing wrong with either vaping more in that case (if practical) or upping your nicotine levels some, depending on what works best. You may be totally find at your nicotine level, everyone's different. I used 18 mg to quit, but I was a 3ppd smoker. I will say, I chain vaped a lot in the beginning, but everyone's different and etc. I will also say, it's hard to determine as everyone is individual in what they need and the gear they use.

You will likely go through SOME withdrawal, due to the other psychoactive ingredients in cigarettes. People tend to experience that differently, though, some vaping unicorns take one puff and never want to smoke again. Others struggle a bit more with the situation. I was of the later type and it took a lot of aid for me to quit, including Whole Tobacco Alkaloid juice which contains some of the things normally found in cigarettes and etc. It was helpful (for me) but not everyone notes a big effect and/or needs WTA. If you do good makers of WTA include Aroma (kind of the gold standard) or Umbavapes (some folks find it less potent, it is also less expensive).

But, I'd probably find a stable nic level for yourself before trying such options (and Swedish snus, and etc) as if you can get to vaping nic only, well, it's probably the least complicated and least expensive thing to do.

Don't be afraid to play with your nic levels if you need to. The worst of detox passes in the first month usually. If you continue to crave (or smoke) after that time, well. you may want to look at some other options, but most vapers do fine and do land on the best nicotine level for them.

Best of luck and welcome I hope you meet with success!

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Going from a pack of cigarettes or more a day to 12mg e juice. I love vaping. Is 12mg basically equivalent to cigarettes? I could buy higher obviously, but I have alot of 12 mg, max vg juice that I'd like to use up. Will I go through nicotine withdrawal on 12mg from cigarettes?
    You didn't mention what gear you are using. I do not agree to large drops when stepping down from nic. I ease into it and cuts down on jonesing and stress. 12mg would have been too low for me when I was quitting, maybe not for you tho.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    In the old days, many people needed 18 or 24mg to quit. Even then, it was hard.

These days, with modern equipment, 12mg at even 12-20 watts absolutely kills 18mg at 5 or 6 watts.

You'll get there. 12mg is plenty. You have to do some work yourself. It's hard.. sure.. but it's 90% less willpower than quitting cold turkey.

If you have old or basic equipment then... well... who's to say. Do you have very basic equipment?

There used to be a general rule of thumb which some people never liked. Work out your nicotine yield by looking at the packet (for example a 1.0mg nicotine cigarette) and how many you smoke. 20 smokes at 1.0mg is 20mg per day.

Then, as a starting point, vape enough liquid to seemingly give you 300% of your cigarette yield. That would mean 3ml of 20mg or 5ml of 12mg.

People will say "no way, dude" but you'd be surprised how many vapers unknowingly vaped exactly these amounts. Coincidence? I think not.

Libertyinsl8r

May 22, 2018
    In my opinion...
    It all depends because there are many different factors that can make your nicotine
    Intake vary. I personally smoked Newport cigs & started vaping on 18 mg of nicotine with a e leaf 30 and nataulis tank but when I got into my first smok I went from 12mg to 6mg then 3mg now I'm have the voopoo drag resin mod with Cleito 120 tank still on 3mg and ready to cut that down soon too.. so it all depends on your mod, tank and what works for you! Sub ohm tanks will kind of scratch your throat with higher nicotine levels. No matter what you choose its better than cigarettes! Good luck

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Libertyinsl8r

May 22, 2018
    Well in my experience but I'm sure they all. aren't. I usually vape unicorn milk or naked unicorn and I have the Cleito 120 tank and Armageddon apocalypse rda & I noticed a slight scratch. Again, my experience though.
    Not all juices will scratch your throat with a high nic in a sub ohm tank. There are so many factors involved such as airflow, draw, chamber, chimney, etc. Your own experimenting is how you will find your sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

stormjib

ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2014
    California
    imo the greatest predictor of whether vaping works for your or not, is your attitude towards it. I smoked for 40+ years, and found vaping 4 years ago...to me it was instantly fascinating and although I craved cigs once in a while at the start, I would just vape my way through it...at 12 mg and 15 watts. I would suggest that if you do struggle, get yourself one of those new pod systems with some higher nic salt juice, like 36mg...you get more of an instant 'buzz' from that...and mtl (mouth to lung, as opposed to 'direct lung') hits more closely approximate smoking than devices like subohm tanks.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Going from a pack of cigarettes or more a day to 12mg e juice. I love vaping. Is 12mg basically equivalent to cigarettes? I could buy higher obviously, but I have alot of 12 mg, max vg juice that I'd like to use up. Will I go through nicotine withdrawal on 12mg from cigarettes?
    From your past post: Switching juices. Lower nicotine
    " but it does it work great in my sub ohm mod."
    I have heard that 12 mg. may be considered high for most. If 12 works for you, no problem.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread