Question about nicotine strength in e-liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revealed

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County, CA
I was just checking out various websites to order some more e-liquid when I came across something about nicotine strengths that is contrary to what I believed. Based on the information from the ECF beginner tutorial part 2, I thought that 36mg was equivalent to medium strength cigarette. While I was shopping around for e-liquid, I came across this
Nicotine Strength Help
Where it states that 36mg is ultra-high in strength and should only be used for diluting and that 24mg is equivalent to a red or strong cigarette. This is quite a discrepancy and would love some clarification on this before I order more e-liquid. :confused:

SaigesPoppa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was just checking out various websites to order some more e-liquid when I came across something about nicotine strengths that is contrary to what I believed. Based on the information from the ECF beginner tutorial part 2, I thought that 36mg was equivalent to medium strength cigarette. While I was shopping around for e-liquid, I came across this
Nicotine Strength Help
Where it states that 36mg is ultra-high in strength and should only be used for diluting and that 24mg is equivalent to a red or strong cigarette. This is quite a discrepancy and would love some clarification on this before I order more e-liquid. :confused:
36 mg is very high its the highest that ECF allows the forum suppliers to sell I vape either 24mg or 20mg and thats high 16-18mg is about med

CCC

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Australia
18mg would be a good place to start, but if you find it is not satisfying you probably need 24mg. The thing is it is easier to dilute the nic down if you start high, as opposed to trying to raise it if you go too low. I made this mistake, i started on 6mg, had to buy more juice at 12mg, still wasnt enough so i ended up doing DIY and am sitting happily on 18mg.

Revealed

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County, CA
It's ok, i found it

0mg 0 Zero nicotine, contains flavor only
6mg 0.6% Low
12mg 1.2% Medium-low
18mg 1.8% Medium
24mg 2.4% Medium-high
36mg 3.6% High
over 36mg over 3.6% Suitable for expert use only

Maybe you read it wrong, it does say 36mg is high, not medium.

That is the table that it gives u, but right below that it states:
"The strongest normal ecigarette liquid strength, 36mg, is probably equal to a medium cigarette in effective nicotine content, or 'strength' if you like."

steliosak

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Kapandriti , Hellas
That is the table that it gives u, but right below that it states:
"The strongest normal ecigarette liquid strength, 36mg, is probably equal to a medium cigarette in effective nicotine content, or 'strength' if you like."

It does say "effective" nicotine strength.

A bit before the article states .

"To make up for the fact that the strongest nicotine strength of eliquid is only equivalent to a medium cigarette, they are used for around twice as long, to accumulate more nicotine. The problem is that the vapor does not penetrate the lungs as deeply as smoke from a tobacco cigarette, so that less nicotine is absorbed by the lungs, and it may mainly come from buccal and nasal absorption (in the mouth and nose). The particle size of the water vapor from an e-cigarette is much larger than the particle size of smoke from a cigarette, which goes more deeply into the lungs."

36mg is the highest nicotine strength that you will find in ready liquid (and needs care) because at this level and above it can become dangerous to handle ( if it is swallowed or absorbed thru the skin).

generally you should not vape above 24mg .

CCC

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Australia
Yeah i see how you became confused, if you read that whole page it explains how the absorbsion from an e-cig is different to a normal cigarette. It is hard for new users to get their head around the mg strangth because they are used to the numbers associated with real cigarettes. That is exactly why i started out on 6mg, i thought that was going to be equivilant to my 1mg cigarettes, and then you find that you vape more than you smoked and pretty much everything is different between the 2.

Don't stress out too much about it, actually there is not a lot of difference if you go up or down a couple of mgs. You will definatly know if you are having too much.

steliosak

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Kapandriti , Hellas
My wife smokes camel lights, so should I order 6 or 12mg for her? I was thinking 12mg. I originally just ordered both of us the 24mg, after reading the beginner's tutorial part 2, thinking well if 36mg is only equivalent to a medium strength cigarette, then 24mg should be fine for both of us. I used to smoke reds

Initially you may need a higher strength of e-liquid in order to stop the craving for an analogue cig. Once you stop smoking you will probably find that you will reduce the nic level as your body becomes accustomed to the new way of receiving its nicotine dose.

for example I smoked hand rolling tobacco (Old Holborn Blue) abt a 25g pack every two days .
I started at 18mg
After a month I dropped to 16mg
after 3 months to 12mg .

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
For a standard lights smoker, 16 - 18 mg/ml is a typical starting strength, with some people needing to drop to a 12, while others need 24.

Fure a full strength cig smoker, 24 mg/ml is typical, while some need to drop one level, others need to go up one.

12 would be for an ultra lights smoker.

6 is more typically used by an experienced vaper who is consciously weaning themself off of nicotine entirely.

A drop in nicotine is also normal for people going to hv/vv, since our consumption of eliquid often goes way up compared to using stock 808 or 510 lower voltage gear.

Last edited:

babylonx

Feb 1, 2012
Greece
I think a factor that also makes analog to electronic nicotine content difficult to compare is that analogs also contain ammonia. Cigarette producers started adding ammonia to enhance the nicotine absorption from the body. This is done by turning acid (bound) nicotine into base (free) which is absorbed a lot faster and much less is exhaled. Its called freebasing. The process is also very common in other drugs like ....... in order to multiply their effectiveness.

Free base nicotine is unstable so the one in e-liquid is probably a salt or a acid type.

steliosak

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Kapandriti , Hellas
I think a factor that also makes analog to electronic nicotine content difficult to compare is that analogs also contain ammonia. Cigarette producers started adding ammonia to enhance the nicotine absorption from the body. This is done by turning acid (bound) nicotine into base (free) which is absorbed a lot faster and much less is exhaled. Its called freebasing. The process is also very common in other drugs like ....... in order to multiply their effectiveness.

Free base nicotine is unstable so the one in e-liquid is probably a salt or a acid type.

Wow!
That's an eye opener .
Isn't ammonia also highly toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread