Nitecore I2 stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Are Efest chargers good? I thought I had heard the were really low on the quality scale. That was several years ago though, maybe they improved?
The Efest LUC chargers line are excellent in quality and relatively inexpensive. They are among a handfull of chargers that can charge at 1 amp in all two or four bays. I can't speak to the quality of their other chargers.

HTB1cxYdKXXXXXX5XVXXq6xXFXXXy.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ah hah, just another reason to have backups for everything you use for vaping, @Joe-L

I have at least one backup mod, tank, coil, charger, and extra e-liquid at all times. Sorry, about your predictament. Maybe you can purchase a couple of inexpensive disposable cigalikes at the gas station or convenience store to hold you over until payday?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Joe-L Use of a fire bag is highly controversial for Li-ion chargers.

The fire bags are designed for Li-Po batteries, which is why many of the fire bags are call Li-Po bags. Li-Po batteries and a Li-Po charger are charged apart from each other, connected by cables. The batteries are put into the bag because they are of a volatile chemistry. The charger is kept out of the bag because chargers can generate heat. Putting any charger into an enclosed bag could be counter-productive because without open air ventilation to cool the charger, a bag could trap the heat in the bag and make the charger even hotter, possibly to the point of causing a fire.

TRA2970-2x2872X-ERVO-2.jpg
61XjYtWmmML._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
@1/2 fast

How do you rate a question as "Disagree"? Can you please explain?
Didn’t know I did that. Wasn’t intended. There was nothing in your post that I cared about at all. Nor was there anything I’d comment on. Most likely (being old, blind and etc) I hit the button by accident. Sorry if I ruined a perfect attendance record or anything like that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So with my samsung 25r 18650's I'm better off not using a fire bag?
That is my personal belief. As I said, using a Li-Po bag for a Li-ion battery charger is controversial at best. Some people do use them. Most people don't.

The Samsung 25R is an IMR Li-ion battery. Samsung happens to call their IMR batteries "INR".

It's good practice to charge your batteries on a fire resistant surface. Stovetop, kitchen or bath counter top, metal baking pan, concrete surface.

Below is a video of a battery and charger caught going into flame mode on a kitchen countertop.

Last edited:

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
So iv left it for about half an hour now and there's been no readable voltage change on either cell so I'm gona assume the readings I got are from some sort of fried connection and that this in fact a dud now, I'm getting an ac reading on the battery connections but no dc reading so I think somethings blew out somewhere along the line.

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Might be just the LED, or might be a different component that shorted which lead to the LEDs to blow.
I don't recommend using that charger, at least not indoors on a wooden table ;)
That's not a table it's just a bit of wood where I'm led in bed watching netflix normally I leave it in the kitchen on the metal drying rack (obviously without any wet dishes) I'm gona look into a xtar with a fire bag instead as I'm seeing more positive reviews for them now and seems like more bang for my buck probably time for a 4slot anyway

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Use of a fire bag is highly controversial for Li-ion chargers.

The fire bags are designed for Li-Po batteries, which is why many of the fire bags are call Li-Po bags. Li-Po batteries and a Li-Po charger are charged apart from each other, connected by cables. The batteries are put into the bag because they are of a volatile chemistry. The charger is kept out of the bag because chargers can generate heat. Putting a charger into an enclosed bag could be counter-productive because without open air ventilation a bag could trap the heat in the bag.

TRA2970-2x2872X-ERVO-2.jpg
61XjYtWmmML._SL1000_.jpg
So with my samsung 25r 18650's I'm better off not using a fire bag?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Backups to our backups, the importance of having on-hand replacements for anything and everything that's "mission critical".

I didn't think to have a backup for my 4-bay charger until 2014, I only used mechs back then so if my charger had quit working I'd have been in a huge bind. I live in a rural area, the nearest city that would have a charger is 2 hours away so most of my shopping is online. I bought and keep a 2-bay charger in storage just for such emergencies, I think I paid a whopping $12 for it. When regulated mods finally became powerful and compact, I switched to using them. Since most regulated mods can charge a battery I consider them another backup to my primary charger although I personally wouldn't use them for such unless I just had to.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
The Efest LUC chargers line are excellent in quality and relatively inexpensive. They are among a handfull of chargers that can charge at 1 amp in all two or four bays. I can't speak to the quality of their other chargers.
I have a cheap Efest 'Pro C2' 2-bay. It is a low rate charger, and has only red/green led ready/charged indicators. It seems to do the job, stays cool, and batteries read 4.1 to 4.2 after charge. Definitely not a sophisticated charger, but was about $5 sale

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
D9107980-D01D-418A-AEA5-476F1A27B2CF.png
I have two Nitecore I2 chargers but mine are the old style with 3 LEDs per slot to show charging status, no digital screen at all. They both "work" but I am not impressed with them over all. One of them makes a buzzing noise when not actively charging. I haven't disassembled it, but my guess is there is a step down transformer inside and some of the coils have come unstuck and are vibrating. Of course it could be something completely different. The other one does not make the noise but the left charge bay charges quite a bit faster than the right one for some reason. I have my batts marked and make sure they are rotated as to which bay they are charged in every time and always the left bay is faster.

For these reasons and others, I too am considering a new charger (keeping these as backups). I want a 4 bay since I have two 2 bays as backups. I have looked at the Xtar chargers but I dislike their "speedometer" style displays that only show two of the four ports at a time. Why couldn't they just use simple digital numbers and show all 4?

I would like the option of charging up to 26650 batteries PER BAY. Just in case. So, if I ever decide to use them, I won't need a whole new charger. I don't necessarily require a digital screen but I do want some sort of indicator for all slots simultaneously. The ability to manually select charge rate is nice, but NOT required. I am totally fine with the charger auto-choosing what is best. Most of all I want quality, reliability, and dependability.

So what do you guys suggest?

Are Efest chargers good? I thought I had heard the were really low on the quality scale. That was several years ago though, maybe they improved?

I have 2 Efest chargers. The one I use is a LUC blu 4 bay charger that I’m very happy with. I can choose 1amp charging for the inner 2 slots although I don’t often use that feature.

Efest LUC BLU4 Battery Charger

The other Efest I use if I need to charge larger batters 20700 ? But I’m not crazy about the sleds. I always felt like I was damaging the batteries sliding them into the slots. This is the one pictured. I keep it as a backup.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I have a cheap Efest 'Pro C2' 2-bay. It is a low rate charger, and has only red/green led ready/charged indicators. It seems to do the job, stays cool, and batteries read 4.1 to 4.2 after charge. Definitely not a sophisticated charger, but was about $5 sale

The Efest Soda, on the other hand, doesn't appear to be as reliable:

ADVISORY: Avoid using the Efest SODA charger at its 1A setting

Efest non-LUC chargers seem to be of variable quality. I'm glad yours is apparently a good one.

I'm not overly impressed with my Efest LUC4. It's fine at 500 mA, but it heats the batteries more than I like at 1 A. My Xtar VC4 stays a lot cooler at 1 A.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
The Efest Soda, on the other hand, doesn't appear to be as reliable:

ADVISORY: Avoid using the Efest SODA charger at its 1A setting

Efest non-LUC chargers seem to be of variable quality. I'm glad yours is apparently a good one.

I'm not overly impressed with my Efest LUC4. It's fine at 500 mA, but it heats the batteries more than I like at 1 A. My Xtar VC4 stays a lot cooler at 1 A.
If you are comparing using the same batteries, either your Efest is actually charging at more than rated, or Xtar is delivering less. Amount of battery heating proportional to the current passing thru it. Could be a function of the charging curve, keeping the rate higher too long, but that amounts to the same thing. If the charger is heating up, and transferring heat to the batteries, that is a different Ball 'O Fish. Or Kettle O' Wax.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
If you are comparing using the same batteries, either your Efest is actually charging at more than rated, or Xtar is delivering less. Amount of battery heating proportional to the current passing thru it. Could be a function of the charging curve, keeping the rate higher too long, but that amounts to the same thing. If the charger is heating up, and transferring heat to the batteries, that is a different Ball 'O Fish. Or Kettle O' Wax.

That does make sense, now you point it out. I've noticed it with a couple of different batteries. I'll have to try again and pay closer attention to see what's really going on.

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Ah hah, just another reason to have backups for everything you use for vaping, @Joe-L

I have at least one backup mod, tank, coil, charger, and extra e-liquid at all times. Sorry, about your predictament. Maybe you can purchase a couple of inexpensive disposable cigalikes at the gas station or convenience store to hold you over until payday?
I'll have a look tomorrow, iv tested the voltage at the charging slots and I'm getting voltage through the charge slots but the Led screen isn't showing anything.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread