Nitecore I2 stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ah hah, just another reason to have backups for everything you use for vaping, @Joe-L

I have at least one backup mod, tank, coil, charger, and extra e-liquid at all times. Sorry, about your predictament. Maybe you can purchase a couple of inexpensive disposable cigalikes at the gas station or convenience store to hold you over until payday?

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Ah hah, just another reason to have backups for everything you use for vaping, @Joe-L

I have at least one backup mod, tank, coil, charger, and extra e-liquid at all times. Sorry, about your predictament. Maybe you can purchase a couple of inexpensive disposable cigalikes at the gas station or convenience store to hold you over until payday?
I'll have a look tomorrow, iv tested the voltage at the charging slots and I'm getting voltage through the charge slots but the Led screen isn't showing anything.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll have a look tomorrow, iv tested the voltage at the charging slots and I'm getting voltage through the charge slots but the Led screen isn't showing anything.
It could be that the LED lights have blown out in the charger. If so, the charger may still recharge the batteries, but you won't readily know when they finish charging. I've had one LED light burn out before on a charger, but not all of them at the same time.

• Useful

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018

The ports only show a voltage if I only touch 1 prong of a multimeter to them if I touch both positive and negative the voltage equates to 0 iv uploaded a photo to show what I mean.

Attachments

• 20180425_195526.jpg
    20180425_195526.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 143

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Might be just the LED, or might be a different component that shorted which lead to the LEDs to blow.
I don't recommend using that charger, at least not indoors on a wooden table ;)
That's not a table it's just a bit of wood where I'm led in bed watching netflix normally I leave it in the kitchen on the metal drying rack (obviously without any wet dishes) I'm gona look into a xtar with a fire bag instead as I'm seeing more positive reviews for them now and seems like more bang for my buck probably time for a 4slot anyway

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Joe-L Use of a fire bag is highly controversial for Li-ion chargers.

The fire bags are designed for Li-Po batteries, which is why many of the fire bags are call Li-Po bags. Li-Po batteries and a Li-Po charger are charged apart from each other, connected by cables. The batteries are put into the bag because they are of a volatile chemistry. The charger is kept out of the bag because chargers can generate heat. Putting any charger into an enclosed bag could be counter-productive because without open air ventilation to cool the charger, a bag could trap the heat in the bag and make the charger even hotter, possibly to the point of causing a fire.

TRA2970-2x2872X-ERVO-2.jpg
61XjYtWmmML._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
Use of a fire bag is highly controversial for Li-ion chargers.

The fire bags are designed for Li-Po batteries, which is why many of the fire bags are call Li-Po bags. Li-Po batteries and a Li-Po charger are charged apart from each other, connected by cables. The batteries are put into the bag because they are of a volatile chemistry. The charger is kept out of the bag because chargers can generate heat. Putting a charger into an enclosed bag could be counter-productive because without open air ventilation a bag could trap the heat in the bag.

TRA2970-2x2872X-ERVO-2.jpg
61XjYtWmmML._SL1000_.jpg
So with my samsung 25r 18650's I'm better off not using a fire bag?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So with my samsung 25r 18650's I'm better off not using a fire bag?
That is my personal belief. As I said, using a Li-Po bag for a Li-ion battery charger is controversial at best. Some people do use them. Most people don't.

The Samsung 25R is an IMR Li-ion battery. Samsung happens to call their IMR batteries "INR".

It's good practice to charge your batteries on a fire resistant surface. Stovetop, kitchen or bath counter top, metal baking pan, concrete surface.

Below is a video of a battery and charger caught going into flame mode on a kitchen countertop.

Last edited:

Joe-L

Mar 31, 2018
So iv left it for about half an hour now and there's been no readable voltage change on either cell so I'm gona assume the readings I got are from some sort of fried connection and that this in fact a dud now, I'm getting an ac reading on the battery connections but no dc reading so I think somethings blew out somewhere along the line.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think so. I have a N2 intellecharger and it's been reliable, and a backup charger which I never hope to use. I'm afraid you'd have to cut your losses on this one, unless you are willing to charge any of your mods via USB port (which really isn't recommended but you can I guess, for a few days, some folks do it if traveling and etc, but unfortunately, I think yours is toast. I actually really like my N2 intellecharger and wouldn't be dreadfully opposed to having two, honestly, although I also hear good things about Xtar.

Best of luck, and I hope you can wrangle something other than smoking until you can replace it. Sorry to hear about it!

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have two Nitecore I2 chargers but mine are the old style with 3 LEDs per slot to show charging status, no digital screen at all. They both "work" but I am not impressed with them over all. One of them makes a buzzing noise when not actively charging. I haven't disassembled it, but my guess is there is a step down transformer inside and some of the coils have come unstuck and are vibrating. Of course it could be something completely different. The other one does not make the noise but the left charge bay charges quite a bit faster than the right one for some reason. I have my batts marked and make sure they are rotated as to which bay they are charged in every time and always the left bay is faster.

For these reasons and others, I too am considering a new charger (keeping these as backups). I want a 4 bay since I have two 2 bays as backups. I have looked at the Xtar chargers but I dislike their "speedometer" style displays that only show two of the four ports at a time. Why couldn't they just use simple digital numbers and show all 4?

I would like the option of charging up to 26650 batteries PER BAY. Just in case. So, if I ever decide to use them, I won't need a whole new charger. I don't necessarily require a digital screen but I do want some sort of indicator for all slots simultaneously. The ability to manually select charge rate is nice, but NOT required. I am totally fine with the charger auto-choosing what is best. Most of all I want quality, reliability, and dependability.

So what do you guys suggest?

Do what I did--get two Efest LUC2 chargers. You have four-bay charging capability and if one goes out, the other keeps going (hopefully) while the first one gets replaced.

Are Efest chargers good? I thought I had heard the were really low on the quality scale. That was several years ago though, maybe they improved?

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I have two Nitecore I2 chargers but mine are the old style with 3 LEDs per slot to show charging status, no digital screen at all. They both "work" but I am not impressed with them over all. One of them makes a buzzing noise when not actively charging. I haven't disassembled it, but my guess is there is a step down transformer inside and some of the coils have come unstuck and are vibrating. Of course it could be something completely different. The other one does not make the noise but the left charge bay charges quite a bit faster than the right one for some reason. I have my batts marked and make sure they are rotated as to which bay they are charged in every time and always the left bay is faster.

For these reasons and others, I too am considering a new charger (keeping these as backups). I want a 4 bay since I have two 2 bays as backups. I have looked at the Xtar chargers but I dislike their "speedometer" style displays that only show two of the four ports at a time. Why couldn't they just use simple digital numbers and show all 4?

I would like the option of charging up to 26650 batteries PER BAY. Just in case. So, if I ever decide to use them, I won't need a whole new charger. I don't necessarily require a digital screen but I do want some sort of indicator for all slots simultaneously. The ability to manually select charge rate is nice, but NOT required. I am totally fine with the charger auto-choosing what is best. Most of all I want quality, reliability, and dependability.

So what do you guys suggest?

Are Efest chargers good? I thought I had heard the were really low on the quality scale. That was several years ago though, maybe they improved?

I have had zero trouble with mine. Mine replaced a single I2 Nitecore that died last year.

The LUC 2 handles everything up to 26mm in diameter and 70mm in length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread