Nitecore Intellicharger i4 getting warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
Just got a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 V2, and threw in some brand new Panasonic CGR18650CH's to fully charge before their first use.

This is the first time using the charger, and I notice that the charger body itself is getting warm. Not the batteries themselves, as those are not warm at all. I only have experience with 1 other charger (XTar WP2) and that never even got a little bit warm over the course of 1 year that I used it. I tried Googling and searching here, and only found one comment mentioning this Nitecore charger getting warm, and all they basically said was; paraphrased: "It's just warm. Not hot, and not warm enough to cause me any concern.", and no other replies about what anyone else thought about that (it was a random comment within a thread, not in the original post of the thread.)

Is that right? Is "warm" acceptable, or do I need to look into exchanging this one for a replacement?

Some things that one may or may not need to know to help me figure this out:

-I'm charging (2) 18650's in bays 1 and 3, which from what I read, is how you're supposed to do it when charging only two batteries (for reasons above my tech level of understanding :oops:).
-The charger is flat on a hard surface countertop, with nothing around it. Nothing inhibiting air flow or anything.
-It's plugged directly into the wall outlet. No powerstrip or extension cord, etc.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have both the Nitecore Intellicharger i2 and i4. I primarily use the i4 most of the time. I've not noticed mine getting warm, even when charging 4 batteries at once.

I might be a little bit concerned that your charger is getting warm. I'd contact your vendor about this being a concern of yours, and better yet attempt to contact a Nitecore representative if you can find a contact number or email.

I did find a review of the i4 from one of the flashlight forums which took the i4 through some fairly extensive bench testing, including some thermo-photographs. Review of Charger SysMax/NiteCore i4 V2

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
I have both the Nitecore Intellicharger i2 and i4. I primarily use the i4 most of the time. I've not noticed mine getting warm, even when charging 4 batteries at once.

I might be a little bit concerned that your charger is getting warm. I'd contact your vendor about this being a concern of yours, and better yet attempt to contact a Nitecore representative if you can find a contact number or email.

I did find a review of the i4 from one of the flashlight forums which took the i4 through some fairly extensive bench testing, including some thermo-photographs. Review of Charger SysMax/NiteCore i4 V2

Thanks. I will look into contacting Nitecore directly, seeing what they say, and then contacting the vendor afterwards if need be.

ScottChensoda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Lat:51.53889/Long:0.14743
As far as the charging sequence Gunner, the Bays 1&3 and 2&4 only applies to AA, AAA and 10440 cells can I point you in the direction of this post http://thevapersshed.boards.net/thread/3582/nailing-myths-fallacies-nitecore-i4.

There are many i4 owners who for whatever reason don't seem to understand how the charger works. It doesn't help that Sysmax Nitecore have tried to incorporate too much into one charger, on top of which they issued a most obtuse Instruction/Owners Manual ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread