No 'Amps' display on Smok Mag - Are you kidding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
Thanks so much to ‘All’ … I 'really' appreciate everyone's help. I thought I understood this but I see now that I clearly did not.

So I just built a coil for someone using a single 18650 battery mod (‘Aegis’, single battery mod which vents towards the face … no extra charge!). I built the following advising him not to exceed 70 watts thinking that would keep him under 15 amp CDR he would be safe, which I now understand was incorrect advice.

Battery: Samsung 18650 30Q 3000mah 15 amp CDR
Coil: 0.35 ohm
Wattage: 70 watts
Amperage: 14.14214

So, is there danger in running the single 15 amp battery higher than 45 watts, or is there no danger because the regulated mod will (supposedly) keep him safe?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thanks so much to ‘All’ … I 'really' appreciate everyone's help. I thought I understood this but I see now that I clearly did not.

So I just built a coil for someone using a single 18650 battery mod (‘Aegis’, single battery mod which vents towards the face … no extra charge!). I built the following advising him not to exceed 70 watts thinking that would keep him under 15 amp CDR he would be safe, which I now understand was incorrect advice.

Battery: Samsung 18650 30Q 3000mah 15 amp CDR
Coil: 0.35 ohm
Wattage: 70 watts
Amperage: 14.14214

So, is there danger in running the single 15 amp battery higher than 45 watts, or is there no danger because the regulated mod will (supposedly) keep him safe?

The mod does not know when it is over stressing a battery. So it cannot protect the user when this happens. They really need to get a quality 25a or 30a battery to run that wattage. I like the Samsung 25S for a 25a battery, and the Samsung 20S is currently the best 30a 18650 battery.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

There is some danger in running that setup higher than 45 watts. The mod has no way of identifying that particular problem (drawing too much current from a battery.) To be fair, the risk of venting is small and of thermal runaway is vanishingly small. Most likely, running over 45 watts will gradually damage the battery and diminish its lifespan.

Iotodem

Oct 2, 2018
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I finally purchased a 'Smok Mag' the other day (I know I'm really late to that game!) ... anyway I absolutely couldn't believe it when I found the device does not display amperage! Are you kidding me? Is it just me or is amperage not the single most important piece of information that any device should be displaying?
well, good thing i saw this, i will definitely not be getting a mag.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
well, good thing i saw this, i will definitely not be getting a mag.
If your decision not to purchase SMOK is based on the way amps are displayed you will find most all regulated mods display the same amps, output amps (amps from chip to atty). So you would be disappointed in most all mods. If your decision not to buy it is based on SMOK's reputation for their inattention to quality, then you are probably right not to purchase the Mag. While all products have their duds, SMOK seems to have more than it's fair share.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
integrated battery?
Google is your friend

Mag Kit - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

bi.png

Reactions: stols001

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Don't all mods show a voltage level? All of my mods do. And isn't there a formula for converting volts to amps? Or do volts only apply to wattage?

:)
Typically regulated mods show watts, ohms, and volts, not all show amps, those that do as far as I know show the amps from the chip to the atty not the amps from the battery to the chip. Then there are the adders that vary by manufacturer like puff counter, puff time in seconds, battery status, etc...

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Don't all mods show a voltage level? All of my mods do. And isn't there a formula for converting volts to amps? Or do volts only apply to wattage?

Lots of them show output volts (often, only while firing, and it displays 0.00 at all other times). Fewer will show the battery voltage, and you usually have to input a "secret code." You can determine amps drawn from your battery by dividing your wattage setting by the battery voltage (charge state). Add the voltages together for multi-cell devices.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Typically regulated mods show watts, ohms, and volts, not all show amps, those that do as far as I know show the amps from the chip to the atty not the amps from the battery to the chip. Then there are the adders that vary by manufacturer like puff counter, puff time in seconds, battery status, etc...

Lots of them show output volts (often, only while firing, and it displays 0.00 at all other times). Fewer will show the battery voltage, and you usually have to input a "secret code." You can determine amps drawn from your battery by dividing your wattage setting by the battery voltage (charge state). Add the voltages together for multi-cell devices.

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your replies.... I knew this but when reading the thread I started 2nd guessing myself....:facepalm:

been a long day...

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I finally purchased a 'Smok Mag' the other day (I know I'm really late to that game!) ... anyway I absolutely couldn't believe it when I found the device does not display amperage! Are you kidding me? Is it just me or is amperage not the single most important piece of information that any device should be displaying?
Until VW, no mods displayed amps. But, it is pretty strange for a VW or TC mod not to display amps.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread