Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
IMG_20141116_221208.jpg

Finally; it occured to me recently that I had a can of washers for plumbing, and they might fit a mod and it turns out 18mm = 0.7 inches which is just a little smaller than 3/4 in, so 3.4 inch washers work pretty snug;

a 6 inch bolt - 3/16 inch, and a few plumbing washers, and that goes up into the tube mod back end;
just threw that together.

I'll have to make refinements to ensure it holds and makes firm consistent eletrical contact, and wrap it up etc, but it works; been vaping on that the last couple hours.

Power is Radio Shack universal ac to dc adapter set to 7.5 volts

The thing on the lower right is where it plugs in / unplugs to the cable from the ac/dc power adapter.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Never seen a tube mod used as a pass thru. Now that you know it works maybe you can incorporate some sort of electrical plug right into the bottom of the mod to rid the alligator clips. Or is that what you were planning to do?

Yes, that's the kind of refinements I have to make; it has to be universal, or as universal as possible; my mods are m21x1 (zmax and vamo), so I might compromise and make it based on m21x1, meaning I might use an m21x1 tube, and affix the bolt/washer assembly into it, and solder or bolt/screw-connect to the tube, so I'd end up with an adapter designed to work with m21x1 mods;

But I'm still meaning to make some universal to any 18650 mod.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Something like a dongle coming out of the mod to plug into?

My vamo, and a lot of the vamo's, have two short equal tubes for the batteries;

I'm thinking to use 1 tube, and attach the bolt/washer assembly to that.
Then when I want to use it, I take 1 tube off a vamo, and screw on the adapter tube instead.

That will just work with vamo's though. Unless I can make it sort of telescoping where I can adjust the center pin for different mods.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
My vamo, and a lot of the vamo's, have two short equal tubes for the batteries;

I'm thinking to use 1 tube, and attach the bolt/washer assembly to that.
Then when I want to use it, I take 1 tube off a vamo, and screw on the adapter tube instead.

That will just work with vamo's though. Unless I can make it sort of telescoping where I can adjust the center pin for different mods.

Thats cool I like it. I have a few mods in my head I still want to build, and one of them will be a okr 10a or 20a pass thru its a neat idea and convenient for a work space or a desk where you hang out alot.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
Is this one of those Because I can things? I dont get it. How can being teathered to the wall be better than changing a battery?

I'd argue the case here is that this is like a belt feed machine gun vs a machine gun with a clip.

It would be consistent vape because the voltage of the batteries would not slowly drop.

@OP
My concern is towards the universal ac adapter from radio shack, a while back ago I had one 'pop'. I drew more than the rated amps during non-vape related experiment.

I think you may want design a power supply from scratch.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Is this one of those Because I can things? I dont get it. How can being teathered to the wall be better than changing a battery?

18650 batteries aren't exactly something I can just buy at a shop at my location, plus they're expensive.
I use my batteries when I'm up and about, but when I'm sitting at my computer, it's more cost effective to vape off the wall; same when I'm watching tv. The batteries did come in handy today when there was a 3 hour power outage!

Quite frankly I think it should be a standard accessory you should be able to buy for a mod; something to just plug into the wall if you want; Provape makes one for their provari; I'm sure it'll work with whichever mods have the compatible thread and gender as the provari.

insert.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Jebbn

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I'd argue the case here is that this is like a belt feed machine gun vs a machine gun with a clip.

It would be consistent vape because the voltage of the batteries would not slowly drop.

@OP
My concern is towards the universal ac adapter from radio shack, a while back ago I had one 'pop'. I drew more than the rated amps during non-vape related experiment.

I think you may want design a power supply from scratch.

I have a few from radio shack; the one I got plugged in near my computer is a 40 watt; the one I got near the bed if probably 20 or 25 watts.
In both cases they feed 15 watt vamos, so I'm well within range.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Yes your amp limit will be very low, a best power supply for vaping might be better.

But a good start and will be useful.

I've been using one of those radio shack adapters for must be over 6 months now to power a vamo5s control head which comes with a 510 thread; I made up a 510-to-radioshack adapter for that;

377249d1411874863-my-setup-comment-yours-img_20140927_232158.jpg

But this new rig I'm making is more universal; I want to be able to hook up my zmax or my mech with a kick to the wall if I want to.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
One step closer:

IMG_20141122_195003.jpg

Made up an improved design.
Drilled out a vamo bottom cap to half inch venthole, and used dome 2 dome washers to create the function of insulator between the vamo bottom cap and the center pin - the center pin is the 4 inch long 1/4 inch bolt.

In the picture, the functional adapter is in use on a vamo, and below for illustration purposes is a second bolt with the various pieces together to illustrate how the adapter is put together.

Anybody can make the adapter up and basically use it on any mod.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
How does it work?

Hmmm.

Well the positive - it's red in the picture, goes ot a regular washer which would be in contact with a nut and the nut is in contact with the bolt because it's threaded onto it.
The negative goes onto a washer, and I'll probably improve that by putting a bigger washer, which is insulated from the bolt with dome rubber washers, and contacts the bottom endcap of the mod.

Power supply is a radio shack universal adapter.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Here's another example:
IMG_20141122_231042-1.jpg

The 3 black rubber washers are just 3/4 inch regular plumbing washers, and there purpose is to just fit in the mod as if there's a battery there; 3/4 inch is just about the same as 18 mm.
I guess that's one of the reasons why batteries are made in 18mm size - it corresponds to 3/4 inch which is a standard size. (Same for 26 mm, which corresponds to 1 inch).

In the picuture I've left out the bottom cap of the mod, but the bottom cap of the mod goes in on top of that biggest washer in the picture. That biggest washer is what will connect to the electrical negative, and will press on the end cap of the mod; meanwhile it will insulate from the bolt itself by using rubber washers: in the picture I used one dome washer on top, and turned out it worked more snugly with 1 regular washer on the bottom; the 1 dome washer was enough for that super big washer that I used.

Lastly you need to connect the bold itself to the positive; for modularity, I made the connection by putting a metal washer as the contact instead of soldering onto the bolt directly.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
How does it work?

Maybe part of the question is more like: how to work it, or how is it applied:

attachment.php

Well this illustrates how I use it.

When going out, I screw on the piece with the battery (lower left).
When watching tv or at the computer at home, I screw on the modded piece which goes to the wire (lower right).

jonnychadootz

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2014
Westchester, NY
As edyle said this is good stuff because:

Saves batteries for use when on the move

Way more consistent vape

Easy to build (most of us have old ego/510 dead batteries laying around if you have been for vaping for anything longer than 3 months :)

Besides all that, some people just like to build things :)

Get your build on edyle :)

What kind of power do you have running through it while plugged in? volts/amps etc. Seems to me the most difficult part to find in large/reasonable price supply would be the EGO tp/510 connector. Then again I'm sure there is some Chinese manufacturer that has a billion of them waiting to be ordered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread