The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

No Flavor...

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Azphat12, Mar 5, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Azphat12

Azphat12 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hey everyone!

I finally got my Nic from Wizard Labs, and am having some issues.

Here is what I am working on...

All ordered from TFA

10% Double RY4
    5% Caramel
    5% Bavarian Cream

I am using a 80/20 VG/PG mix.

I have used them on my Provari with a Zap and Aga-T+
    Varied the setups from 1.0 to 2.0 ohms on both...and varied voltages from higher to lower.

I am using a lightly oxidized coil... basically 1 torch, and 1 lighter burn off.... no hot spots

The flavor is very very mild. I can barily notice it. I have mixed before with a higher PG like 80/20 and 50/50
    but every mix I do always seems to be light on flavor. Except the menthol.... well...its light too but I can feel the Koolada
    sensation...

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a proper order to putting them into the bottle?
    Ive been searching... and cannot seem to nail why. Maybe I am just needing more flavoring?

In my searches I did see steeping. Well I bought an Ultrasonic Cleaner and ran it for 4 hours with my 30ml batch of the mix above.
    It is very smooth, and feels like it is well mixed. But it is just lacking flavor....

What should I do? Any tips/links/pointers..whatever would be very appreciated.

2. mgmrick

mgmrick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    New York
    Try the newer sc flavors that require 3% or less flavor

3. Cookster

Cookster Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2011
    Fla-De-Da
    20% of those particular flavors seems a tad high...too much flavoring can actually lose the flavor. Try diluting it down to 10% by adding PG/VG. You know how to do this?

4. graffinfected

graffinfected Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    ORLANDO, FL.
    put it away and let it steep... i bet it will taste good after 2 weeks.

5. Azphat12

I thought the Ultrasonic Cleaner was used so it didnt have to wait the weeks....

6. GrannyM

GrannyM Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Do you have any other type of delivery device (regular atty, carto, clearo)? You might want to be sure that the RBA is not the problem before you go any further.

7. Azphat12

No I do not...

Here is exactly what I did.
    I used the Ejuice me up calculator

I added my Nic
    I added my VG
    I added 10% dry4, then 5% caramel, then 5% bavarian cream (PG based on all)

It did NOT call for any additional PG.

I then gave it a good shake.
    Ran it in the Ultrasonic cleaner for an hour (heated to 85 degrees)
    Let it sit for an hour

Repeated that process for a total of 4hrs running time in the cleaner.

Added it to my Zap and vaped.

Should I be adding these flavorings together in a separate bottle first, then adding them to the nic/vg?

8. Azphat12

Yes, I tried it in a Vivi nova with a SS mesh wick / and one with a normal standard silica wick.
    Both were very mild flavor.... the SS mesh had a tad more...but not much.

9. graffinfected

Sep 17, 2012
    ORLANDO, FL.
    nothing will steep your juice better than time.

10. Azphat12

I should add that I have been mixing for awhile now.... and all of my mixes seem to be weak.
    I normally dont mind much since I used to make strictly Menthol and I felt the Koolada kick was good enough.

But I have tasted some vendor made stuff and now I know I am missing something here...
    So maybe its a basic step I am overlooking, or maybe a complicated process.....I dont know.

11. Azphat12

I have tried this too with my last batch of normal RY4.

I made a 240ml bottle of it. Basically made 4 60ml bottles.
    I vaped them... and even the last bottle I got too (which took me awhile to vape that much...weeks I would say) didnt taste any better or stronger than the first one. I put all of them in the Ultrasonic Cleaner just like this current batch... 4hrs.... So I am thinking it is less of a steeping thing and more of the way I am mixing. Either putting the chemicals in wrong, or too much/little. I could be wrong...that is why I am looking for help. :)

12. graffinfected

Sep 17, 2012
    ORLANDO, FL.
    make a bottle.. shake it up and stick it in a kitchen cabinet for two weeks... then grab it after your 2 to 3 weeks are up and then make another batch of the same juice and stick it in your ultra sonic cleaner... for 4 hrs... see if they taste the same.

13. GrannyM

Nov 23, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    If you can taste vendors juices, then you'll want to look at your percentages of flavoring. How are you measuring your flavors?

14. graffinfected

Sep 17, 2012
    ORLANDO, FL.
    people are different.. u might wanna lower your percentage or raise it.. 15% is something i could mess with def.

i like my juices to end up at 20% but ive made juices with more than 20% that have no taste whatsoever at 15%

15. Azphat12

Basically I look at recipes on this forum.... and if it sounds good I find ones with %'s.

I then open E-juice me up on my laptop.

For this last recipe I did 18mg 30ml's 80/20 vg/pg

I simply type in the name of the flavor, click 100% pg, and add the %. It tells me the ml amount.
    I use a syringe (I have 1ml to 20ml syringes) and draw that ml amount and add it to the bottle.
    I use different syringes for each chemical as to not contaminate.
    I then wash them all in soap water / dry and put back into my vape kit for next time.

I dont use dropper bottles or pippets as I have found that the syringes were the most accurate for me.

16. Azphat12

I might have to do that...
    I could make a 10ml bottle and just store it.

17. graffinfected

Sep 17, 2012
    ORLANDO, FL.
    yea..

you said 80 vg 20 pg??

most of the time when you mix a juice of 100%vg.. or 90.. or 80... you might have to add a little extra flavor because of how thick vg is..

jus keep that in my when you mix your next juice because i notice that when i do 100% vg juices.. it wont have as much flavor as my 50/50 mixes or 40/60 mixes.

18. Cookster

Cookster Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2011
    Fla-De-Da
    No, there's not really an order.

What I meant was, dilute the current mix you have, make the end result 10% flavor instead of 20%, i.e.,
    5% Double Ry4
    2.5% Caramel
    2.5% Bavarian Cream
    Total 10% flavoring.

Say you have 10ml of your current 20% mix. Add 10ml of 80/20 VG/PG without flavor. Now you have 20 ml of 80/20 VG/PG at 10% flavor.

Am I making sense?

Read this thread on Double Ry4, most people don't go over 10% total flavoring using it...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/375281-tfa-double-ry4.html

19. Azphat12

Ok I see what you were getting at.
    Actually, I am almost done with this 30ml bottle.

I will make a 10ml batch at 10%
    I might also try 80/20 pg/vg.
    I am not allergic....I just wanted to try out a high VG and see if it was any different.
    To be honest...I dont notice any difference as far as how I feel so might just go back to the higher PG.

I can say that it is a PITA getting that high VG into a ZAP with the little fill hole....lol

20. GrannyM

Nov 23, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    I would agree with Cookster & glad to see you're going to try the lower %. Let us know if that works for you. Good luck! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.