Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
[rant]I can't find a squonk mod at any local B&Ms. The stores near me only sell box mods (Kanger, smok, Smoant, Lost Vape, etc) and pod mods but NO squonkers. It's maddening that all they seem to cater to is the box mod and tank crowd, with a few clone RDAs thrown in for good measure. Hell I can't even find stainless steel vaping wire.

You would think with the recent explosion of squonking EVERYWHERE online that the local shops would get on the bandwagon but nooooooooooooooo.....zip, zero, nothing, nada.[/rant]

So, if anyone in the metro Detroit area (east side is best for me) has any tips, I'm all ears.

I would be thrilled to find even ONE squonk mod in a shop - that isn't a Kanger product.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You would think with the recent explosion of squonking EVERYWHERE online that the local shops would get on the bandwagon but nooooooooooooooo.....zip, zero, nothing, nada.[/rant]
Maybe do your shopping online. You can probably find a number of reviews on You Tube if you know what to search for (use "bottom feed mods" in your search). And Google is your friend.

As to your rant, I think you should consider how a vape shop works. To make any decent profit on merchandise, shops have to buy items in bulk. It can be difficult for shop owners to predetermine what new items will be popular/profitable and remain that way for a reasonable time. They don't want to be stuck with a dozen or more items which do not sell or will not be profitable or take up valuable display space.

Although I agree bottom feeders are becoming more popular than in the past, I will not agree that they are everywhere online. Like many vaping items, I would consider them a niche item. IMHO and YMMV.

I like the concept of bottom feeders. I've owned and used two, including a Reo. However, in practice they are not really my cup of tea. I will admit, the Segelei Fuchai 213 Squonk looks appealing; I have the non-bottom-feeder model and its a fine mod.

authentic-sigelei-fuchai-squonk-213-150w-tc-vw-variable-wattage-mod-kit-red-10150w-5ml-1-x-18650-20700-21700.jpg

How about you? Do you have one?

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
[rant]I can't find a squonk mod at any local B&Ms. The stores near me only sell box mods (Kanger, Smok, Smoant, Lost Vape, etc) and pod mods but NO squonkers. It's maddening that all they seem to cater to is the box mod and tank crowd, with a few clone RDAs thrown in for good measure. Hell I can't even find stainless steel vaping wire.

So, if anyone in the metro Detroit area (east side is best for me) has any tips, I'm all ears.

I would be thrilled to find even ONE squonk mod in a shop - that isn't a Kanger product.
Depends on where you live.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
What @Baditude said is correct.

You will simply never be able to find everything in any one shop - unless that shop has a huge online presence, and even then I find it doubtful they carry everything.

I've always been willing to pay a couple extra dollars to save an additional cost for shipping, but even online I find myself going to more than one shop to get exactly what I want.

Right now squonking is just not that popular, and people have a tendency to carry what sells the most.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I know. I have five Reos, three Coppervape squonkers, a Boxer BF clone, a Pico Squeeze, and a VV Pulse BF mod on the way, five O-Little clones, two Solo RDA clones, two Wasp Nanos, two Pulse 22s, two authentic Hadalys and two clones, two authentic Stumpy BF RDAs, and more that I am currently using - all purchased online. And I will continue to purchase online.

It was a rant, after all, and thought it would be nice to walk into a store and, you know, actually touch something before buying it.

It just seems that the stores here only cater to the box mod and tank crowd and refuse to expand even in spite of the ever-growing squonk market.

I went into a store yesterday and the guy said yeah "we used to have the Kanger one" but that was a while ago. They don't even know what a 2x700 battery is and only carry 18650. "We used to carry the other batteries, but now only 18650". Pretty sure he meant 18490/18500 and 18350.

I must be going to the wrong shops. This one is a chain (Wild Bill's) that started as a smoke shop and jumped on the vaping bandwagon. And they are the biggest in SE Michigan.

Which is why I asked if anyone knew of any shops in my area that had something other than Smok and Kanger products. Nothing against those, but again, it would be nice to walk into a shop that sells some squonk stuff. How difficult would it be to have a Geekvape Athena or Pulse BF mod on the shelf? These are not obscure Facebook-only boutique mods that cost 400 bucks and nobody can get. They are affordable squonk boxes from mainstream vendors.

Really, I get the impression that they really only sell equipment as an afterthought and mainly focus on selling eliquid - no shortage of that.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...I get the impression that they really only sell equipment as an afterthought and mainly focus on selling eliquid - no shortage of that.
This is really the only item that most B & M can make a profit. Take that away, and there would be no vape shops period.

ThaFuzz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2015
Virginia Beach
Same problem here, never seen a pico in a shop locally. Seen the drip box and db160. We have one shop within 30 miles of here that carries anything squonk. But that one guy is the really high end stuff. Real goons, gambit, even had a real sva dna75c. He carries the pulse bf box and ive seen penguins and the like in the shop before. But most of the time when i go in and ask for "bottom fed atomizers" they'll try and sell me a nautilus or a limitless rdta.

Reactions: stols001

10mmshooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
WA
I am lucky to have a great local B&M. The owner is very receptive to feedback.

I got him to carry my favorite juice line. Worked out great for us both as I don’t have to order any and he sells a ton of it.

Two months ago I asked about squonk mods. I was really wanting to try one. I bought a Therion on eBay. I showed it to him and some other customers. Fast forward to today, he now has at least 8 different squonk mods in stock and they are selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread