It's tough being a bottom feeder sometimes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
Its pretty much sealed inside as far as I can tell, not sure if it is glued or how to get into the internals without potentially breaking it unfortunately. This is about all I can show you.

Looks tidy. Hopefully it's not a hot glue mess under the shroud. My wood Svap was a hot glue nightmare.

I'd also like to see a stainless feed tube rather than brass.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
Agreed, my statement was partially tongue in cheek since it's great having a mod that works no matter what in any conditions. With that being said some innovation wouldn't hurt the community either.

I've been enjoying regulated squonking except for the poor battery life. It's tough making that transition once you're used to incredible battery life & durabilty that a mech mod provides. Still though even with that being said having the ability to vape at 35 watts in the AM then turn it up to 45 watts as the day progresses has been a new enjoyable experience of squonking for me personally.

I consider myself fortunate because I don't like vaping much over 20 watts. I'm not fussy about the exact wattage: 15 to 22, it's all good. I don't have to obsess about voltage drop. My coils are all .6~.7ohms. Regulated boxes helped me figure out what I like best, but once I learned to build to what I like, I'm done with them.

I like mods that are small, light, and comfortable in my pocket. I have two cheap plastic, highly modified Terminator squonkers with POM top Derringer clones that are about as small, light, and comfortable as you can get for an 18650 mod that holds 10ml of juice and have proven remarkably sturdy.

I also like top button mods. I carry them in my pocket unlocked all the time and have never had one accidentally fire. Side buttons get me every time.

Mandro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Tamworth UK
I consider myself fortunate because I don't like vaping much over 20 watts. I'm not fussy about the exact wattage: 15 to 22, it's all good. I don't have to obsess about voltage drop. My coils are all .6~.7ohms. Regulated boxes helped me figure out what I like best, but once I learned to build to what I like, I'm done with them.

I like mods that are small, light, and comfortable in my pocket. I have two cheap plastic, highly modified Terminator squonkers with POM top Derringer clones that are about as small, light, and comfortable as you can get for an 18650 mod that holds 10ml of juice and have proven remarkably sturdy.

I also like top button mods. I carry them in my pocket unlocked all the time and have never had one accidentally fire. Side buttons get me every time.

I'm similar with vaping, I set up my coils around .9ohms on non regulated mods.
The lack of available gear doesn't bother me personally because I've found my perfect atty and I make my own regulated and non regulated boxes, in fact, in over a year of squonking, I've only ever used my own DIY boxes.

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
where did you buy this bottle?i am using square 5ml bottle but want to bigger bottle.

It was just a custom job using a standard 10ml bottle from fasttech. I stopped using it though as it was just too tight and a bit of a pain to remove and refill. I use one of the italian bottles with the metal cap now, capacity is only around 7-7.5ml but they are easy to refill and very soft and easy to squonk.

ernieball

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2016
It was just a custom job using a standard 10ml bottle from fasttech. I stopped using it though as it was just too tight and a bit of a pain to remove and refill. I use one of the italian bottles with the metal cap now, capacity is only around 7-7.5ml but they are easy to refill and very soft and easy to squonk.
I'm still deciding whether I should go for a Reo grande or the svapiamo 75 watt. Leaning towards the svapiamo though. Is it with the price point? Does it seem built to last? That's the last factor in my decision making, then I'm just going for it.

gertan72

Verified Member
Feb 7, 2013
İstanbul - TÜRKİYE
I'm still deciding whether I should go for a Reo grande or the svapiamo 75 watt. Leaning towards the svapiamo though. Is it with the price point? Does it seem built to last? That's the last factor in my decision making, then I'm just going for it.

i used reo mini 2 years and i think reo is perfect mod.but 18500 battery life about 5 hours so i want to buy regulated squonker.svapiamo is ligtweight,also vtc mini chip is very good.
if regulated mod is not necessary i recommend reo,mech mod washable and last long according regulated mod.

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side

I've got both so if I could share some thoughts...

The REO Grand is the first squonker I ever got and over the years i got the contacts upgraded, followed by the 510. It is solid, reliable, very easily maintained, no hassle to use. Its also small enough to just drop in my pocket and the SL is light enough not to pull my pants down. SuperX used one as a hockey puck and it didn't affect it in the least. Its not the prettiest mod to look at (IMO) but it just plain works.

The Svap is one cool regulated squonker. It is also feels solid for normal use, despite it being plastic (have to admit I'm not rough on my mods. YMMV). The fit and finish are good, no rattles, no leaks. The VTC Mini chip is great, I can vape 5-6 ml at 40 watts without having to change the battery due to sag, unlike my DNA 40s. The bottle it comes with sucks but I swapped it out for one of the Italian soft bottles and its great now. Maintenance is slightly more of a PITA than the REO (have to be careful not to get it wet) but I can live with it. I've dropped it a couple of times on to concrete from a height of about 3, 3 1/2 feet . No damage, no problem. This thing is noticeably lighter than a REO although it feels blockier. Still fits in my pocket but less easily. As for durability, the way I use it, seems like there's very little that I could mess up with the body and mechanical parts. Weakest link would probably be the electronics. I think this thing will last until something happens to make the chip or switches carp out.

Other than the mods, a decision would probably come down to 2 things. First is whether you like a regulated or unregulated vape. I was a mech squonker for a long time and only switched to unregulated recently. Since then, my mechs have been gathering dust. I really like being able to change up the wattage on the go, whenever I feel like it and depending on the juice and atty. I also like that the vape stays the same intensity until I have to switch out the battery.

Second, conventional wisdom says a regulated mod is going to carp out on you at some point while a mech will live forever. It hasn't happened to me yet but you have to decide whether thats something you can live with. The REO has parts available and mostly you can do any repairs yourself. With the Svap, if it does conk out, I would be thinking its time to get a new one, if they're still available. OTOH, the next new, best thing will probably be along by then. I hope.

Both mods work well and give a great vape. I think its the other factors that can help you decide.

Last edited:

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
Soooo....I ordered a Svapiamo Evict mod on Feb 26th and it has been sitting in customs since March 2nd. Today the tracking says that the recipient cannot be found and they ate returning to sender...Should have paid the $10 extra for UPS shipping......sorry just needed to vrnt
OUCH. Hope this gets sorted for you.

ernieball

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2016
I've got both so if I could share some thoughts...

The REO Grand is the first squonker I ever got and over the years i got the contacts upgraded, followed by the 510. It is solid, reliable, very easily maintained, no hassle to use. Its also small enough to just drop in my pocket and the SL is light enough not to pull my pants down. SuperX used one as a hockey puck and it didn't affect it in the least. Its not the prettiest mod to look at (IMO) but it just plain works.

The Svap is one cool regulated squonker. It is also feels solid for normal use, despite it being plastic (have to admit I'm not rough on my mods. YMMV). The fit and finish are good, no rattles, no leaks. The VTC Mini chip is great, I can vape 5-6 ml at 40 watts without having to change the battery due to sag, unlike my DNA 40s. The bottle it comes with sucks but I swapped it out for one of the Italian soft bottles and its great now. Maintenance is slightly more of a PITA than the REO (have to be careful not to get it wet) but I can live with it. I've dropped it a couple of times on to concrete from a height of about 3, 3 1/2 feet . No damage, no problem. This thing is noticeably lighter than a REO although it feels blockier. Still fits in my pocket but less easily. As for durability, the way I use it, seems like there's very little that I could mess up with the body and mechanical parts. Weakest link would probably be the electronics. I think this thing will last until something happens to make the chip or switches carp out.

Other than the mods, a decision would probably come down to 2 things. First is whether you like a regulated or unregulated vape. I was a mech squonker for a long time and only switched to unregulated recently. Since then, my mechs have been gathering dust. I really like being able to change up the wattage on the go, whenever I feel like it and depending on the juice and atty. I also like that the vape stays the same intensity until I have to switch out the battery.

Second, conventional wisdom says a regulated mod is going to carp out on you at some point while a mech will live forever. It hasn't happened to me yet but you have to decide whether thats something you can live with. The REO has parts available and mostly you can do any repairs yourself. With the Svap, if it does conk out, I would be thinking its time to get a new one, if they're still available. OTOH, the next new, best thing will probably be along by then. I hope.

Both mods work well and give a great vape. I think its the other factors that can help you decide.
Thank you so much for such an in depth comparison of them both. I think I'd rather go with the evic. Now even though people say a box with a chip will eventually give out; do they just mean that it will give out after years of use and not being properly treated daily? And do you know if I'd be better off getting a dna200 squonk instead of the evic? Do they stand the test of time better than the cheaper chip? Thanks again you're such a big help

Reactions: StephL535

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
Thank you so much for such an in depth comparison of them both. I think I'd rather go with the evic. Now even though people say a box with a chip will eventually give out; do they just mean that it will give out after years of use and not being properly treated daily? And do you know if I'd be better off getting a dna200 squonk instead of the evic? Do they stand the test of time better than the cheaper chip? Thanks again you're such a big help

If you look inside a mech like the REO Grand, you'd see that there are no wires. Its all metal parts making contact and carrying the current. If anything breaks its a fairly simple job to replace those parts. A regulated mod is going to have the chip and wires. The electronics and wires mean more possible points of failure: soldering points, a bad board, worn out wires, ejuice getting onto the parts (especially for squonkers). That makes them more fragile, and more likely to break in case of drops as well. And if it does die, it would be a major pain to trouble shoot the device. Hence the idea that regulated mods won't last as long as mechanicals.

If you look through the VV/VW thread, you'll see people complaining that their regulated mod died on them. Having said that, I havent had it happen to me personally in 4 years of vaping, except for one DNA40, but that was notorious for having a bunch of bad boards. Overall though, I'd say regulated mods have been improving a lot recently. My experience has been pretty good (knock on wood).

A for the DNA 200, I dont think that chip has been out long enough to judge longevity. There aren't a whole lot of modders that are making squonkers either, as far as I know. Because of the Lipo battery and the bottle, they tend to be bigger than the usual squionkers too. Catfish Atty mods is making a DNA 200 thats only slight larger than a Sunbox so that might be your best bet. You can find Tom here

Catfish Atty Mods Chapter 3

Personally, I don't vape much beyond 50w so I'm fine with a vtc mini chip if it means being able to replace the batteries on the go. Now a 133w DNA200 with 2 18650s, shaped like a Reuleaux would be a great compromise for me. YMMV.

ernieball

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2016
If you look inside a mech like the REO Grand, you'd see that there are no wires. Its all metal parts making contact and carrying the current. If anything breaks its a fairly simple job to replace those parts. A regulated mod is going to have the chip and wires. The electronics and wires mean more possible points of failure: soldering points, a bad board, worn out wires, ejuice getting onto the parts (especially for squonkers). That makes them more fragile, and more likely to break in case of drops as well. And if it does die, it would be a major pain to trouble shoot the device. Hence the idea that regulated mods won't last as long as mechanicals.

If you look through the VV/VW thread, you'll see people complaining that their regulated mod died on them. Having said that, I havent had it happen to me personally in 4 years of vaping, except for one DNA40, but that was notorious for having a bunch of bad boards. Overall though, I'd say regulated mods have been improving a lot recently. My experience has been pretty good (knock on wood).

A for the DNA 200, I dont think that chip has been out long enough to judge longevity. There aren't a whole lot of modders that are making squonkers either, as far as I know. Because of the Lipo battery and the bottle, they tend to be bigger than the usual squionkers too. Catfish Atty mods is making a DNA 200 thats only slight larger than a Sunbox so that might be your best bet. You can find Tom here

Catfish Atty Mods Chapter 3

Personally, I don't vape much beyond 50w so I'm fine with a vtc mini chip if it means being able to replace the batteries on the go. Now a 133w DNA200 with 2 18650s, shaped like a Reuleaux would be a great compromise for me. YMMV.
Right. Exactly like you said, I have sometimes heard about people having problems with some boards, but at least a lot of them can find an issue within the first couple weeks of owning it to make an exchange. If not, I'd be pretty upset if I had one that carped out on me within a couple months. My hex ohm v2 box carped out after 7 months and luckily I could get that fixed, but that vw chipset is extremely cheap compared to most other boards I hear about that come out today in the industry. I just stumbled across catfish Atty mods a couple days ago after searching way too long on here, and it seems like the right box for me. Even though I'm like you and vape within the 50 watt range, possibly pushing it to 60 watts like I am right now, I love the fact that i can still leave the house without spare batteries. Hopefully they come out very soon, because I'm getting more than anxious to finally have a squonk box.

ernieball

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2016
Sounds like you've decided on a regulated squonker. You're going to love it :thumb:

Chowder just posted that he is getting the bodies in very soon. Won't be long now
Haha yes! Thanks. I have a feeing this will be the one type of device that will truly make me content(almost) with my daily vape. I saw that on the catfish page and am super stoked for it. I just hope I'm able to get one. I've never gone on a list before for any Attys/devices, and just hope he will have enough by time I figure out how to get on that as quickly as possible

Reactions: StephL535

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
I was content once...for all of 2 days. Then the next new thing came along ;)

If i'm not mistaken, Chowderhead closed the list down temporarily until he could get some mods out. I think the list got such a strong response he wanted to deliver first before taking on too many orders. No worries, he did say he would take more orders after the first batches were delivered. At least this way, you get to see the reviews before you commit, because they're quite a bit more expensive than the Svaps. You can just email him to find out more, he doesn't do PMs

Cheers

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014

It's a mech squonker, but Paolo, the maker of the Frankenskull squonkers, posted a video of a prototype he is working on. It's a dual 18650 that is set up like the Reuleaux but appears to be smaller probably due to not having to sacrifice space for a board. The main problem will be actually getting to purchase one. His single 18650s seem to go in a matter of minutes (if that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread