Non-smoker interested in vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
So do you think there is merit to people who are against allows vapers to vape inside? Like you said, we just don't know the effects yet. That is true of both vapers and folks around them.

Yes, I'm a firm believer in not subjecting others to something that I, personally, might not want to be subjected to. As a smoker, I would always move away from entrances and other potential passers-by, even if it inconvenienced me (standing slightly in the rain or snow). The last thing I want to do, whether I'm a smoker or a vaper, is make other people uncomfortable.

In terms of the health implications though (and not the "respect" factor), I think that's something to think about. Other people might not want to receive a cloud to the face, and when you consider that certain juices (ie: custards) are known to have diketones (something that's not good for you) in them, you're actually subjecting other people to the health implications that may come with your custard e-liquid. While the risk is most likely negligible, it's still something that other people might not want to have to worry about (and they shouldn't have to worry if they're not subjecting themselves to it on their own).

And then the final thing is simply the matter of smell. As danny4x4 mentioned, I might enjoy the aroma of my fruity-menthol juice, but other people might be offended by the odor (for any number of reasons). When I vape I try and blow my clouds up and away from other people. If I'm walking on a street where there's other people nearby, I'll try not to vape, or if I do vape, I'll try and let people pass me so that it's less likely a cloud wafts into their face. And then for the issues like vaping in restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc., I just don't do it. I never associated nicotine with those places as a cigarette smoker, why would I start associating nicotine with those places now? Seems counter-productive to the whole "smoking cessation" thing, because implied in that is also "nicotine intake reduction" (to me, at least).

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I am really of the mindset that grown adults can make their own decisions. If you want to start vaping go for it. If you want to vape 18mg never having smoked a cigarette, be my guest, whether you should or not is entirely up to you. Every single one of us does something to change the way we feel during stressful situations. Booze, illicit substances, shopping, exercise, sex, cigarettes, vaping. Anyone could add to this list. Do what you want. Within reason.

There are studies that say nicotine in and of itself is actually not addictive, not nicotine with any other substance, just straight up nicotine. It is the toxic cocktail that is a lovely pall mall that hooks us. From a purely logical standpoint if it was the nicotine that was the problem with quitting smoking, patches and gum would be MUCH more effective than they are.

And for me vaping was to quit smoking, but at this point it is certainly taking on the hobby aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread