Noob question, drip tips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parva

Dec 16, 2014
Leeds, UK
I'm looking to go full time vaping before the end of the year's out and am trying to get my kit to be as good as it can be. I've just migrated from a Vamo V3 to a ProVari P3 and I can honestly say that the draw and vapour production just seems so much better in both departments I know I know, very subjective issue, perhaps it's just because it costs so much that the vape feels more pleasureable). I've used various tanks (Kanger, Innokin iClear and now a nautilus - the latter is fantastic).

I've only ever used the drip tips that came supplied with these atty's but having seen many many youtube vids and whatnot it seems many have a preference of drip tip that they like to use on their various atty's. Some of these appear to be what I would call 'bulbous' in shape as opposed to the near straight tips I use. Other than aesthetics, is there any advantage / difference in using a different drip tip or is it just a case of preferring how something looks / feels?

I'm a smoker of 34 years (last 10 years on unfiltered hand rolled smokes) so it's important I get the best set up I can as I am absolutely determined that the tobacco has to go if I want to see my grandson grow up.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
As the vapor goes from the chamber through the drip to your mouth, a longer tip will let the vapor cool more (like a still), and a shorter tip will provide a hotter vape. Especially with drippers the atomizers can get hot, so you can see insulators or acrylic or delrin being used.

There's also how it feels in your mouth -- different people like different shapes and lengths (no rimshots) and materials. It really depends on the experience you're after -- if you want to chuck out vapor, you want very wide bore and shorter. If you want lots of flavor, thinner is generally preferred for less air mixture.

There's also a pokemon-esque quality that can develop where you gotta collect 'em all, especially when trying to pad out an order for free shipping. ;)

Kevlar112

Dec 16, 2014
Germany
I would assume it's just an aesthetic preference and vivid imagination, just like yours when you say that atomizers taste better when powered by the ProVari as opposed to the Vamo.
Some people prefer certain materials above others for specific qualities. Like Delrin drip tips don't get as hot or cold as metal ones do. I myself prefer ceramic ones, but those are hard to find.
It's all subjective!

Parva

Dec 16, 2014
Leeds, UK
Ok thanks guys, that makes sense. I prefer a hotter vape so I shall look into getting some different drip tips as I'm probably pumping my atty too far to get a warm draw (Nautilus 1.6 Ohm @ 16W). Works just fine, I just can't help thinking that I should be lower down the scale else I may have an expensive taste in coil replacements! lol Will definitely give a non-steel drip tip a go and see if I can shave a few watts off, thanks. :)

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Oh, well realize those are bottom-coil atomizers, you're still pretty far away from the coil compared to an RDA or something so at best you'd see a minor difference. If you chain vape hard you might notice the base of the tank getting hot -- now imagine there wasn't a liquid heat sink, and your mouth was a few inches from the heat and you'll get the idea.

Bman123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2014
Akron Ohio
I had a mini pro tank 3 that had a small metal drip tip. I absolutely hated it and didn't know I could get a different tip so I ended up buying a aspire maxi tank. That tank has a plastic drip tip and I love it.
The metal drip tips turn me off because I don't like the feeling of metal in my mouth and it always feels cold on my lips so I will only use plastic drip tips

Parva

Dec 16, 2014
Leeds, UK
I had a mini pro tank 3 that had a small metal drip tip. I absolutely hated it and didn't know I could get a different tip so I ended up buying a aspire maxi tank. That tank has a plastic drip tip and I love it.
The metal drip tips turn me off because I don't like the feeling of metal in my mouth and it always feels cold on my lips so I will only use plastic drip tips

You may have hit the nail on the head there, never thought about it like that. I shall get an order in for some drip tips, thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread