RDA (noob) what type of coil do I use for my mechanical mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Spaced coils work well for me. Mech don't play well with complicated coils like claps

All depends on whos making the coils, and from what wire ;)

I have no issues with the claptons i have currently in my orchid and used with propper 350 batteries on my 4nine.

If you can't build a coil you probably shouldn't be using a mech.

Exactly.

As we sit and speculate, the question remains what batteries are being used and if the OP even understands/knows of the danger presented and how to avoid them.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Now here is my lecture if you're willing to learn, if not you need to put it away.

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine main page makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, ....ing batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid .... batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor
Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you pit it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
If you can't build a coil you probably shouldn't be using a mech.
Who came up with this crap? I really want to arm chair whomever started this theory!
Back when mechs/mods first came out it was about runtime and something that didn't break if we dropped it! We purchased what cartomizers (yes, CARTOMIZERS!!), filled and vaped them. Then the Genesis atomizers came out. Most of you should be glad you weren't vaping then!
When replacable coil atties came out it was a freaking God send! Most people couldn't afford a Provari, so we used CE clearomizers and Vivi Novas on mechs, and we were pretty stinking happy!
Op, know you mod, know your battery, know ohms law, and understand it! Stay within those limits and you will be fine. Push those limits, there's a good chance you will have a problem!
But if someone has a decent grasp of what they are doing and wants to run an Aspire Atlantis with premade coils on a mech, and people to call them ignorant, well it just shows how much of a lack in education we as a society really have! I'm so sick of this!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Now here is my lecture if you're willing to learn, if not you need to put it away.

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine main page makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, ....ing batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid .... batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor
Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you pit it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good informative post! Thank you.

budd77

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
Who came up with this crap? I really want to arm chair whomever started this theory!
Back when mechs/mods first came out it was about runtime and something that didn't break if we dropped it! We purchased what cartomizers (yes, CARTOMIZERS!!), filled and vaped them. Then the Genesis atomizers came out. Most of you should be glad you weren't vaping then!
When replacable coil atties came out it was a freaking God send! Most people couldn't afford a Provari, so we used CE clearomizers and Vivi Novas on mechs, and we were pretty stinking happy!
Op, know you mod, know your battery, know ohms law, and understand it! Stay within those limits and you will be fine. Push those limits, there's a good chance you will have a problem!
But if someone has a decent grasp of what they are doing and wants to run an Aspire Atlantis with premade coils on a mech, and people to call them ignorant, well it just shows how much of a lack in education we as a society really have! I'm so sick of this!
For someone who is learning to build today a regulated mod would be a lot easier for them to learn to build and a lot safer.

budd77

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
And as far as being sick of it well it isn't going to stop when you have people that don't have a clue blowing .... up. In these times with the fda and everyone else using every little thing to try and kill vaping damn rights I'm going to open my mouth.

Reactions: defdock

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
For someone who is learning to build today a regulated mod would be a lot easier for them to learn to build and a lot safer.
While I get the sentiment and safety aspect, at the end of the day it's not rocket surgery. I figured it out!
I've just heard so many misnomers about mechs of late, "Oh, those are just plain dangerous! You'd have to be a fool to use one!" As well as how stupid it is for people to use a tank that uses premade coils on one, jeez!
Can they be dangerous? Certainly! But no more so than a regulated mod with over rated or mismatched batteries! I fear will will be seeing multiple battery, regulated mods, blowing up soon because of improper battery management!
Mechs are coming back into vouge with the cool kids now, so we may as well get prepared to educate the onslaught of newbies about to hit the door!

Reactions: Verb

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
And as far as being sick of it well it isn't going to stop when you have people that don't have a clue blowing .... up. In these times with the fda and everyone else using every little thing to try and kill vaping damn rights I'm going to open my mouth.
So, we can educate them here, or they can go to a buddies house, watch some of the less than stellar videos, and be on the news.
Belittling and berating new members sends them packing, trying to educate we might at least get half of them down the right path.
Your choice.

Reactions: defdock

budd77

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
So, we can educate them here, or they can go to a buddies house, watch some of the less than stellar videos, and be on the news.
Belittling and berating new members sends them packing, trying to educate we might at least get half of them down the right path.
Your choice.
I wasn't trying to be mean or berate. I'm sorry. This is what I should have said. Please don't take this the wrong way but i don't think you should be using a mech if you don't know how to build. A regulated mod would be a lot safer and easier for you to learn to build on. Bad things can happen in a big hurry if you do something wrong. I don't want anything to happen to you. So op this is what i should have said in the first place. By the way I only own mech's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread