RDA 2 Weeks With My First Mechanical

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgi1

Nov 19, 2014
Bay Area, CA
When I first got my mechanical, I was vaping Space Jam juice and the taste was out of this world. Better than anything I've vaped in the past. I knew coming to mechanicals the taste would be a lot better. After a week I switched to MBV juice and vaped that for a week. Today the taste started lacking so I decided to change the wick (japanese organic cotton). I thought after changing the cotton the taste would be the same as when I first got it, but something is off. Now I suspect the coils might need to be changed. I'm going to build my first coil for my mechanical.

I have a few questions:

-how much does the coil affect the flavor?
-what's a good drill bit size for a guide when wrapping my coil?
-when doing a dual coil build, can the two ends of each coil touch each other in the center post?

Any tips for a newbie?

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
surface area of the coil, thickness of the coil, and cleanliness of coil all affect flavor. depending on what gauge wire you use, thicker wire tends to heat up slower and thinner wire heat up real quick, which can 'burn' the flavoring additives in juice. I like lower gauge wire (thicker wire) so it heats up slower, lets the eliquid taste more how it smells. Also if this is your first mechanical mod, you need to build to your battery, use an ohm meter to make sure you get the correct resistance for the voltage and amp draw of the battery you are using. Resistance, wire used, and build all affect flavor. Thick low resistance coils I use for long flavorful drags. Thin higher resistance coils I use for short quick flavorful drags.

also, the residue that builds up on the coils from the juice can also lower flavor, most of the time u can just change cotton and dry burn the coil for the residue to come off to get that fresh coil taste again. thicker dark brown juices tend to gunk up the coils much faster and lose flavor so u have to change wick and clean/change the coils more often to keep the flavor up

tgi1

Nov 19, 2014
Bay Area, CA
surface area of the coil, thickness of the coil, and cleanliness of coil all affect flavor. depending on what gauge wire you use, thicker wire tends to heat up slower and thinner wire heat up real quick, which can 'burn' the flavoring additives in juice. I like lower gauge wire (thicker wire) so it heats up slower, lets the eliquid taste more how it smells. Also if this is your first mechanical mod, you need to build to your battery, use an ohm meter to make sure you get the correct resistance for the voltage and amp draw of the battery you are using. Resistance, wire used, and build all affect flavor. Thick low resistance coils I use for long flavorful drags. Thin higher resistance coils I use for short quick flavorful drags.

also, the residue that builds up on the coils from the juice can also lower flavor, most of the time u can just change cotton and dry burn the coil for the residue to come off to get that fresh coil taste again. thicker dark brown juices tend to gunk up the coils much faster and lose flavor so u have to change wick and clean/change the coils more often to keep the flavor up

Thanks for your help. I've since tried dry burning the coils and running it under the faucet until all the gunk is removed. It helped with the flavor a lot. But now I had additional questions.

-Will not using enough cotton affect the flavor? How can I tell if I used the "right" amount of cotton. I know if you can pull the cotton through the coil without the whole mod moving, it's good.
-Am I supposed to avoid dropping juice directly onto the coil when refilling? Or is that ok.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
- Not using enough cotton will cause hot spots on the coil when firing. Tastes bad.
- The right amount of cotton is all about experimentation. It should slide fairly easily but drag through the coil. You don't want to wick cotton tight as you will choke the ejuice flow.
- Dripping onto the coil is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread