Status
Not open for further replies.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
A fairly decent opinion article from the NY Times, which is rather unusual as they tend to push the FUD. It still has some major problems with the facts, but it's not too bad considering the source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/opinion/will-the-fda-kill-off-e-cigs.html

Consider the complexity. The proposal has some useful provisions, such as a ban on sale to minors and a requirement to disclose ingredients. But the proposal would also push e-cigarettes into the hugely burdensome regulatory framework that Congress set up for any new tobacco product.

That would be a mistake. To appreciate the extent of the unnecessary burden, consider “pre-market review.” Companies would have to demonstrate not only that each specific product was beneficial to intended users (adult smokers), but they would also have to show the consequences to teens and nonsmokers. Gathering these data would be vastly time consuming and expensive: According to the agency’s own estimates, conducting the necessary scientific investigations and preparing a pre-market application would take on average more than 5,000 hours and cost more than $300,000.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
It's one of the best that I've read in any mainstream news media, which isn't saying much - none of them have been consistently responsible in their reporting on ecigs, and mostly just stream whatever histrionic misinformation flows their way (or is carefully guided to them) with no real journalistic research or examination. Perhaps the Times, which has been atrocious on this one, is coming around. I had a brief and furious email exchange with an editor (who did respond) after one the the worst articles was published and sent a heap of links. Then I gave up on them. This is just an op ed but nice to see. I signed in here just to link it, glad others have seen it. It's just an op ed, though, so we'll see. It's a massively influential and well respected newspaper, like it or not.
Signing out, may all be well.

Last edited:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
It's one of the best that I've read in any mainstream news media, which isn't saying much - none of them have been consistently responsible in their reporting on ecigs, and mostly just stream whatever histrionic misinformation flows their way (or is carefully guided to them) with no real journalistic research or examination. Perhaps the Times, which has been atrocious on this one, is coming around. I had a brief and furious email exchange with an editor (who did respond) after one the the worst articles was published and sent a heap of links. Then I gave up on them. This is just an op ed but nice to see. I signed in here just to link it, glad others have seen it. It's just an op ed, though, so we'll see. It's a massively influential and well respected newspaper, like it or not.
Signing out, may all be well.

I think it's passable as a somewhat neutral position on the subject, which is the best we can hope for from the NYT. The temporary regulations the author recommends are basically that of food supplements, and in my opinion, should be the only regulations being considered at all. However, we know that won't happen because of the money behind the massive lobbying effort to regulate them into the hands of the big tobacco companies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Written by Sally Satel, MD. She's a vaping supporter, and a well-known medical commentator.

«the F.D.A. should allow companies to tell smokers about the benefits of switching to vaping products. Labels could read: “While more research is needed, it is likely that e-cigarettes meeting F.D.A. interim safety guidelines are much safer than smoking.”»

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Written by Sally Satel, MD. She's a vaping supporter, and a well-known medical commentator.

«the F.D.A. should allow companies to tell smokers about the benefits of switching to vaping products. Labels could read: “While more research is needed, it is likely that e-cigarettes meeting F.D.A. interim safety guidelines are much safer than smoking.”»

My guess is that FDA's policy is to act as a restrictor not an enabler. Keeps lawsuits at bay.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Light and ultra light cigarettes never allowed me to taper off and quit, but I'm pretty sure that after going from 24mg to 6mg juice that I could actually quit vaping if I wanted to. I don't get those nic cravings that were associated with even ultra light cigs.

Big companies with deep pockets are likely to influence the outcome of the battle between tobacco and ecigs. All they have to do is take the profit out of ecigs through regulatory compliance costs.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Here are some debating points for anybody that finds them useful. The science is so trashed it's pointless to quibble about it so I try to use logic, for instance,

1. Nicotine patches, gum, and losenges are nocitne delivery devices that have been avialble over the counter for the last 19 years. We don't read about any problems with those, addiction or otherwise. The nocitine in ecigs is no more habit forming than any of those others. It only appears that way because ecigs are more enjoyble than the other systems, including cigarettes. Cigarettes are more habit forming because of things they contain in addition to nicotine.

2. Adults who never smoked are not becoming habitual vapors. Kids who never smoked will experiment but they won't become habitual either. Anybody who tries vaping first and then tries smoking will find cigarettes taste awful. Vaping is an anti-gateway. The kids who become habitual vapers will be the same as adults, dealing with a prior smoking issue and trying to avoid relapse.

3. No retailer should sell anything to any kid if their parents might not approve so make a law about that but a kid shouldn't have to wait until he's 18 to quit smoking with the only method that's currently effective. I bet kids can buy and use nicotine patches and gum. Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e?

4. What I notice is that nicotine seems to be about as habit forming as caffine. I could stop drinking coffee but why? I would probably relapse back to drinking it beause it is enjoyable and doing me no harm. I could stop vaping too but why? If I couldn't vape for some reason I'd probably relapse to cigarettes as I did several times in my life.

5. The FDA should proceed cautiousy because they could blunder us into a drug war. Vaping is more than a habit or a hobby. It's a movement. That's because of a pattern of government hostility towards a bunch of people who have improved their own lives without asking the government to do anything except .... out.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I bet kids can buy and use nicotine patches and gum.

Note: Nonprescription nicotine replacement therapy products cannot be sold legally to people younger than age 18. A doctor may prescribe one of these products if a person younger than 18 is dependent on nicotine.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Quitting Tobacco

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I bet kids can buy and use nicotine patches and gum.

Note: Nonprescription nicotine replacement therapy products cannot be sold legally to people younger than age 18. A doctor may prescribe one of these products if a person younger than 18 is dependent on nicotine.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Quitting Tobacco

Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t?

Yes. Hypocrite. :)

Sofarsogood,

Great points in general, seriously weakened by your misspelling of hypocrite!

ETA: (It's spelled more like "potatoe")

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Sofarsogood,

Great points in general, seriously weakened by your misspelling of hypocrite!

ETA: (It's spelled more like "potatoe")
I fixed it, thanks. It's a word I say a lot but not spell very often.

So kids can't buy patches and gum but they can posess them with the proper permissions. That's what I would support for kids and vaping. My conviction is vaping will be an anti-gateway for kids and that's what research will show if the researchers are interested in the question. I just don't see never smokers vaping, unless, it turns out to be a way for helping people with weight problems. I have a hunch there's potential there.

When I pitch vaping to smokers I say, you don't have to quit smoking, don't even think about that, just start vaping and see what happens. I tell them it helps to get competent gear and spend some time learning how. If they look interested I have my short list.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
Here are some debating points for anybody that finds them useful. The science is so trashed it's pointless to quibble about it so I try to use logic, for instance,

1. Nicotine patches, gum, and losenges are nocitne delivery devices that have been avialble over the counter for the last 19 years. We don't read about any problems with those, addiction or otherwise. The nocitine in ecigs is no more habit forming than any of those others. It only appears that way because ecigs are more enjoyble than the other systems, including cigarettes. Cigarettes are more habit forming because of things they contain in addition to nicotine.

2. Adults who never smoked are not becoming habitual vapors. Kids who never smoked will experiment but they won't become habitual either. Anybody who tries vaping first and then tries smoking will find cigarettes taste awful. Vaping is an anti-gateway. The kids who become habitual vapers will be the same as adults, dealing with a prior smoking issue and trying to avoid relapse.

3. No retailer should sell anything to any kid if their parents might not approve so make a law about that but a kid shouldn't have to wait until he's 18 to quit smoking with the only method that's currently effective. I bet kids can buy and use nicotine patches and gum. Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e?

4. What I notice is that nicotine seems to be about as habit forming as caffine. I could stop drinking coffee but why? I would probably relapse back to drinking it beause it is enjoyable and doing me no harm. I could stop vaping too but why? If I couldn't vape for some reason I'd probably relapse to cigarettes as I did several times in my life.

5. The FDA should proceed cautiousy because they could blunder us into a drug war. Vaping is more than a habit or a hobby. It's a movement. That's because of a pattern of government hostility towards a bunch of people who have improved their own lives without asking the government to do anything except .... out.

1 - I never remember someone addicted or even having the habit of using patches, gums or losenges. They are very $$ and horrible. No one would like to use it unless needed.

2 - I dont have any data on it, but its safe to assume that some people that never smoked tried vaping. Its possible, as with any novelty. If vaping become so mainstream as near as tobacco, you can bet some % of population will jump directly to vape. If it is an adult choice, its okay.

3 - On my country kids buy alcohol and cigs without issues, yet ecigs are banned. Kids should be restricted its a no brainer.

4 - Very much. I suffered a flu like symptom for weeks after heavy smoke cessation. I believe this was mostly related to cig addictives and other tobacco alkaloids. When on cigs i have a very powerful crave and sense of relief after smoking. I dont feel this way anymore, and even on 18mg, i dont feel a strong urge to vape, i can stay several hours without it. Clearly nicotine alone doesnt provide the same level of addictiness of burned tobacco.

5 - Whatever happens, there will be a war, it already started, but FDA, governments, BT and BF dont know exactly what to do; they cant really kill it with a move. A very powerful and present culture established around the Europe and US.
It will be hard to do much, because you cant tax the hardware; someone could manufature simple parts and use it, its not space science. You can overtax nicotine and liquids, but some people could just, with properly tools, extract nicotine from tobacco with little effort, and in great amounts per price.
The health excuse allowed governments to heavily tax tobacco and gain free money over addicts. It will be hard to justify same taxing over a now damaging product or on worst case, damage reduction product. BT wants regulation, and it will sell it crap cig-a-like products with heavy tax, but who cares? The vaping comunity is based on countless people vaping on different hardware and liquid to fit each own needs.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
1 - I never remember someone addicted or even having the habit of using patches, gums or losenges. They are very $$ and horrible. No one would like to use it unless needed.

2 - I dont have any data on it, but its safe to assume that some people that never smoked tried vaping. Its possible, as with any novelty. If vaping become so mainstream as near as tobacco, you can bet some % of population will jump directly to vape. If it is an adult choice, its okay.

3 - On my country kids buy alcohol and cigs without issues, yet ecigs are banned. Kids should be restricted its a no brainer.

4 - Very much. I suffered a flu like symptom for weeks after heavy smoke cessation. I believe this was mostly related to cig addictives and other tobacco alkaloids. When on cigs i have a very powerful crave and sense of relief after smoking. I dont feel this way anymore, and even on 18mg, i dont feel a strong urge to vape, i can stay several hours without it. Clearly nicotine alone doesnt provide the same level of addictiness of burned tobacco.

5 - Whatever happens, there will be a war, it already started, but FDA, governments, BT and BF dont know exactly what to do; they cant really kill it with a move. A very powerful and present culture established around the Europe and US.
It will be hard to do much, because you cant tax the hardware; someone could manufature simple parts and use it, its not space science. You can overtax nicotine and liquids, but some people could just, with properly tools, extract nicotine from tobacco with little effort, and in great amounts per price.
The health excuse allowed governments to heavily tax tobacco and gain free money over addicts. It will be hard to justify same taxing over a now damaging product or on worst case, damage reduction product. BT wants regulation, and it will sell it crap cig-a-like products with heavy tax, but who cares? The vaping comunity is based on countless people vaping on different hardware and liquid to fit each own needs.
1. President Obama was famously spotted chewing nic gum in China so he's either still smoking or is using the gum the way we vape. (I try to picture the family quarters in the White House and sitting on a side table is the Presidential Mod.)

2. Thre are some number of regular vapers today and some number of new ones starting and a percent of those, probably a high percent, stop smoking. Social science research tools could be used to get a good handle on those numbers, especially if the industry cooperated. It's odd to me that nobody seems interested in getting those numbers.

3. How restricted are ecigs in brazil? If you have access what are your sources?

4. I like to argue to smokers that quitting is so hard because relapse is so likely and that prospect is demoralizing. If someone can be fairly certain that a month or two of discomfort pretty much garrantees success it's a lot eaier to tought it out. Once I knew I had an answer to the relapse problem my confidence soared.

5. I was clueless about vaping until last October. Now I'm interested in the politicas and playing catch up. I try to get into my opponant's shoes, see his point of view. When I can't do that it's usually because he doesn't want me to see his point of view because he has no interest in compromise. That's what I'm running into with this issue. I've read a few hundred news stories from small towns. They don't worry about their bars and restaurants that serve alcohol to addicts. They don't worry about the large number of licened tobacco resellers who also sell ecigs. But if a vape shop opens that sells ecigs but NOT tobacco and NOT alcohol it's controversial and must be bad for the kids. I should be able to understand this and I'm sure I don't.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Nicotine gum is sold without a prescription, but with an age restriction. If my teenager were smoking and wanted to quit, I'd buy the gum for him or her and might turn them on to vaping until they were old enough to buy for themselves.

My Dad started smoking as a young teenager and had no problem when I started. When I turned 16, he let me charge a carton a week on his drugstore account. That probably wasn't a good thing, but back then even doctors smoked in their offices and examining rooms. We didn't know about cancer and referred to it as death by "Consumption".

These ads were common.

smoking_01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread