JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Done. :)

URGENT! CASAA has issued a Call to Action for New York City where an ordinance has been introduced that would ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes and e-liquid in the five boroughs.

Please note that participation in this Call to Action is NOT limited to residents of New York City, but if you are not a resident, please edit the letter to share what relationship you may have with New York City (such as you have family or friends who live there, you plan on visiting, et cetera).

CASAA: Call to Action: New York City is Considering Banning the Sale of Flavored E-Cigarettes and E-Liquids

Direct link to CQRC campaign for NYC: Send a Message

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I live in CA but have family in NYC, sent in my letter. Thank you JustJulie and CASAA for jumping on this so quickly.

Even though the bill in it's current form wouldn't seem to apply to e-liquid sold separately, that's easily amended. This would also most likely be picked up by city after city if it passes.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I live in CA but have family in NYC, sent in my letter. Thank you JustJulie and CASAA for jumping on this so quickly.

Even though the bill in it's current form wouldn't seem to apply to e-liquid sold separately, that's easily amended. This would also most likely be picked up by city after city if it passes.

The ordinance is--surprise!--poorly drafted. For example, they don't even seem to understand that "tobacco" is a flavor for e-cigarette liquid. But, yes, a hypertechnical reading of the ordinance would suggest liquids aren't covered, but we know that is not the intent and, as you said, the language can easily be cleaned up.

So for now, we proceed on the assumption that the intent is to ban all flavors for e-cigarettes and e-liquid, and that's how we're fighting it.

And you're welcome. :)

Am I the only one who remembers when NYC was fun? :(

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The ordinance is--surprise!--poorly drafted. For example, they don't even seem to understand that "tobacco" is a flavor for e-cigarette liquid. But, yes, a hypertechnical reading of the ordinance would suggest liquids aren't covered, but we know that is not the intent and, as you said, the language can easily be cleaned up.

So for now, we proceed on the assumption that the intent is to ban all flavors for e-cigarettes and e-liquid, and that's how we're fighting it.

And you're welcome. :)

Am I the only one who remembers when NYC was fun? :(

Yeah, that was in response to something Bill G. posted over in the other thread. After going through the whole SB648 thing here in CA, I'm well aware that these things can become monsters easily.

I've never been to NYC but it is on my short list for vacation spots, right after taking the kid to Disneyland. My cousins seem to love it there.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't even see what this is based on. Like nothing. If we (humans) can't defeat this, then NYC is, or will be, existing in another dimension.

The argument goes: There are ecigs that taste like candy, kids like candy, kids will like ecigs, kids will then start smoking, life as we know it will end because all of the children will die and the human race will become extinct.

It's the same BS the anti-vaping side has been spewing for years, even though it constantly gets pointed out that it's ridiculous. You don't see those orange cream flavored Camel's anymore do you? Man, I loved those.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The argument goes: There are ecigs that taste like candy, kids like candy, kids will like ecigs, kids will then start smoking, life as we know it will end because all of the children will die and the human race will become extinct.

It's the same BS the anti-vaping side has been spewing for years, even though it constantly gets pointed out that it's ridiculous. You don't see those orange cream flavored Camel's anymore do you? Man, I loved those.

I understand that argument exists, but nothing so far that references that. Your words though are spot on, and I'd like for them to publicly say that in common council meeting. I realize they won't, but "human race will become extinct" is what they're probably going for, so why not just admit to that.

Would be another one of those (many) instances where it would be fun to spoof them. Have a 'reporter on the streets of NYC' saying this, and saying this is what the council believes, with a few fake interviews where talking heads talk about how this could end life on the planet as we know it. Thing is, you may not even need to do fake interviews, as the actual council members may muster up items that are just as insanely hilarious.

"Global warming, worst case scenario for Ebola, and all out nuclear war. All three of these items, combined, do not come close to the horrors that would visit humanity if eCig flavors are to remain legal in this city, according to NYC Alderman Peters. Tonight at 11, we sit down with the man and hero who intends to rescue our city, before it is too late."

"Breaking News: Israel has just finished a 3000 year old study establishing that adults appear to like flavors as well. More on this startling development in our 11 o'clock segment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread