O-rings for the Kanger Protank 2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Diamond

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
North Texas
I have been looking for these, as well, as I have decided on the Tatroe mod 'ProTank'. The place that sells them doesn't include o-rings or even the option to buy them.

I'll probably just get these, once I get the parts and mic them for size.

[h=3]Double-Seal
O-Rings[/h]McMaster-Carr

If you find the right size for the Protank 2, please post it here. I'm assuming we would want the FDA approved ones.
Thanks. JD

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
If you find the right size for the Protank 2, please post it here. I'm assuming we would want the FDA approved ones.
Thanks. JD

I will once I order the parts. I'll take a base to work, mic it and have the McMaster Carr rep order me a bag. I'll probably get the FDA and double-seals to see which ones are best. I don't think temperature would be much of an issue with where they will be.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
DSCN3613.jpg

This one?

The Base is Kanger and it does have the o-rings, if not available:
O-Rings for RDAs and Protank Bases (5 Pieces) - Sun-Vapers.com

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I have read some people are having contact problems with the Tatroe Base. Seems it's 510 connection is longer than the protank and the center pin comes up shallow. Some Mods post is to short to reach.

I had planned on getting the whole kit- Tatroe base and Tatroe tank. These won't work with a ProVari, or won't work with the ProTank coils? I think Evod coils are also compatible.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Dumb question. Put a dab of liquid on the o ring for lubricant? I ask because I had one go bad.

Yes, it makes the o-ring slick so it does not bind/pull/stretch when tightening.

I had planned on getting the whole kit- Tatroe base and Tatroe tank. These won't work with a ProVari, or won't work with the ProTank coils? I think Evod coils are also compatible.

The coils are that the are and cannot be subbed with anything that would change the physical size. Don't know if the Provari will have an issue or not.
If you purchase one and it will not allow center pin contact, simple File off a bit of the 510 connection on the base to allow the coil post to protrude farther.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Hi.
Does anyone sell the replacement rubber o-rings for the Kanger Protank 2?
Thanks. JD

Found one on the trail to the washing station the other day! And I was reminded that I got my start in business working in precision industrials. O-rings S-T-R-E-T-C-H no matter how much juice you dab one 'em. Especially with repeated longitudinal stress loading, as by twisting the cap back on. Same principle as for a motorcycle chain (who would think they would stretch?). But these O-rings are far more delicate. So the PT O-rings will undergo more wear than on a conventional RBA where the lubrication helps a great deal. I'm testing wick and wire options constantly so I'm in and out of my tanks all the time to resolve flavor wick issues, Q-tip the stovepipe and blow out the top-cap or base. So I've seen them stretch considerably and rather quickly.

That said, the O-rings from Sun Vapers seem sturdier and work well. It's worth getting them if for nothing else than to confirm the size. No sense measuring them after they're stretched out.

I get a nominal 9mm i.d. (I need glasses folks, lol);and, a thickness of 1mm

Anyone want to contribute some research and post some links to options for silicone replacements?

I'll get to it and post some as soon as I can. Options are better than a single source.

I'm sure a lot of veterans here have figured it out. Help the newb's out will ya.

Have a great day.

:)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Works great.

Less filling! (Just kiddin'.)

Seriously. I don't know anything you might get at the hardware store which necessarily will be food grade. Or what the production spec is. The #9 is almost 3x thicker and I don't know how that might affect airflow (too airy unless screwed in too tight). Dunno. I'm not a certified engineer.

What surprised me is it doesn't appear anyone's done the research on a component that seemingly can go wrong as often as wick mismatch does in the coil area in terms of flooding. I would have thought somebody would have posted the precise grade and metric by now.

I'd love to have seen someone mic a brand new O-ring out of the box. I'll try to do that first opportunity. It's been quite some years since I had to spec these things for folks.

But O-ring's will definitely affect airflow on the PT if too big. Not necessarily to the good side.

Thanks for the info on your effort Steve. Worth a shot in a pinch. I did the same recently out of my kit. That's what got me started on this question.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
It has a smaller diameter, so stretched to be thinner when I put it on. I used it for the top one, not the bottom. I figured it won't get any hotter on the top, than hot water from a faucet. If it is safe for use in faucets, it must be ok to have as the top seal on a PT2. I also figure made in USA and safe for use in faucets trumps China-made 'food grade.' The tank does come together tighter and the top sits a little higher than before, but no leaks or airflow issues.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Problem is we don't know what the materials are any more when you go to most retailers who source in China. We don't. I owned an international internet retail op years ago. Buna-N though should be ok. I'm more concerned about the seal and whether it creates the proper compression to the base. That's the O-ring I was talking about since even a 1/16 turn of the base cap has noticeable effects on draw. And airflow vs. wicking potential is what it's all about. I'm paying more attention to these damned O-rings now than I am to coil configs as a potential contributor to flooding. That airy feeling of the PT is by design I believe. And the O-ring spec is essential to that.

More news as it happens! Take care.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
I haven't noticed any difference with the ACE o-ring and with the stock. I have 7 other Pro Tank 2s to compare. I don't use the stock bases/caps, though. I replaced them all with the Tatroe ones, which give me a better draw. I use the tiny o-rings from SunVapers with them. The bases are also well-machined, look better and will not break off at the 510 connection. Maybe since they are significantly better than the original caps, that is why I haven't had any issues with leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread