Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Once again I say hello and welcome to today's review of a device that's been out for some time but always peeked my interest. The OBS Engine 100W Kit is a very simple one with only wattage as it's power mode and as the title suggest has a maximum power output of 100w when a single 21700 or 20700 battery is used, wattage output is dropped to 80w if a single 18650 battery is used with the supplied battery adapter, yes this device can use 3 different sized batteries. I wanted to pick one of these up and review it a while back but this kit just kind of slipped by with so many items coming in to be reviewed. Sourcemore was nice enough to send me this kit for review and I'm glad they did but more about that later, I will leave a coupon code for this kit with a discounted price at the end of my review if purchased from Sourcemore lets get started with my review of the OBS Engine 100w Kit shall we.

OBSEngineKit20210513_1.jpg

COLOR CHOICES

OBSEngineKit20210513_3.jpg

OBSEngineKit20210513_4.jpg

IN THE BOX

*1pc Engine 100W Mod

*1pc Engine S Tank(6ml)

*1pc 18650 Battery Adaptor

*1pc E1 0.4ohm Mesh Coil

*1pc E2 0.2ohm Mesh Coil

*1pc Extra Glass Tube

*1pc Pack of O-rings

*1pc USB Type-C Cable

*1pc Warning Card

*1pc Warranty Card

*1pc User Manual

OBS_Engine_Kit_Package.jpg

PARAMETERS

OBS_Engine_Kit_Parameters.jpg

FEATURES

* Replaceable Battery Sleeve(5 resin color + 1 carbon fiber)

* Type-C Fast Charging

* Max 100W Output

* New E Series Mesh Coil

* 18650/20700/21700 Battery Support

* 0.96 inch LED Screen

* Thread Battery Cover

* 6ml Tank Capacity

* Top Filling System - Dual Fill Port

* 810 Resin Drip Tip

* Bottom Airflow Control System

OBS_Engine_Kit_Functions.jpg

SWAPPABLE BATTERY SLEEVES

OBS_Engine_Kit_Various_Styles.jpg

OBS_Engine_Kit_Replace_battery_sleeve.jpg

THREE DIFFERENT BATTERY OPTIONS (21700) - (20700) - (18650)

OBS_Engine_Kit_100W_Max_Power.jpg

TYPE-C 2A FAST CHARGING

OBS_Engine_Kit_Type_C_Fast_Charging.jpg

OBS ENGINE S SUB-OHM TANK

OBS_Engine_S_Tank_Best_Flavor.jpg

PARAMETERS

OBS_Engine_S_Tank_Parameters.jpg

QUARTER TURN TOP CAP WITH TOP FILL

OBS_Engine_S_Tank_Top_filling.jpg

E MESH SERIES COILS INCLUDED IN THE KIT

OBS_Engine_S_Tank_Mesh_Coil.jpg

TANK AND MOD BREAKDOWN

OBS_Engine_Kit_Component.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I told you in the opening of this review that the device was a very simple wattage only device with some nice finishing touches on the mod, well packaging for this kit is very basic with a slide out tray ( bottom box portion ) containing the mod, tank with 0.2Ω mesh coil pre-installed in it, 2nd coil that's a 0.4Ω mesh coil, spare glass tube, spare O-rings, charge cord, user manual, warranty card, and 18650 battery adapter pre-installed in the battery sleeve.

The color of the resin battery tube and matching drip tip was the first thing that caught my eye, the first run series had a problem with the drip tip having some wobble when connected but that was only on the first run production series, mine is solid and fits well and the matching of color and design pattern is perfect.

The battery cap is different than most devices that have a single battery that installs from the bottom of the device usually with a latch on the battery cap that you pop up and unscrew but the Engine uses no pop up latch instead it uses a cap with knurling to unscrew/screw on. The threads on the cap are good, not buttery smooth but good enough to do the job.

The lines of the mod are attractive and the beveling adds some depth to it's appearance as well. Picking the device up it's weight surprised me because I thought it would be heavier than it is which is on the lighter side but not a lightweight. I like short tanks and the Engine's S Tank is just that and with it's exaggerated 6ml bubble glass tube it looks stumpy as well. 3 airflow slots adorn the S Tank which allow for plenty of airflow for a DL or RDL vape.

20220605_053926.jpg

The coils for the S Tank are a standard push and pull type with no flat spots needing to be lined up just make sure the bottom Red O-ring is fully seated, they are pushed into the chimney barrel and end up very close to the drip tip base. Being so close to the drip base greatly improves flavor with less travel of vapor to the tip. A propeller design is printed on the base that I think indicates airflow, it's barely noticeable. Of note on the fill ports, you can use a 100ml bottle tip just fine but the tip will not go completely through either of the fill ports because they aren't wide enough.

I like the open design of the barrel chimney that looks like it was pressed down too much opening it up a bit, the UWELL Crown V Tank has the same type of look to it and I like it. The 2 mesh coils that ship with the kit are the E1 0.4Ω with a rating of 45-55w and a best setting of50w and the E2 0.2Ω with a rating of 50-70w and a best setting of 60w. I found both of these coils to be very flavorful and both keep up well when chain vaping which is easy to do because they produce such great flavor with the 0.2Ω coil being warmer. I found the best settings on both to be spot on sweet spots for my taste buds.

20220605_075038.jpg

20220605_081302.jpg

20220605_081550.jpg

I told you earlier how thin the Engine 100w mod is and that's because the body is really the battery within a colorful resin sleeve, the bottom and top of the device bulge out some keeping a nice tapered look for the body of the mod making it very comfortable holding in the hand. As far as attaching other atomizer go you will be restricted to a 26mm before overhang of the atomizer happens. The 510 pin is spring loaded with good travel to it leaving no gap between the top plate and any atomizer I connected to it.

20220605_061810.jpg

As most single battery devices do the battery is installed into the body of the device from the bottom using either a trap door or a battery cap with a hinged center piece that lifts up allowing you to screw/unscrew the cap.

The Engine 100w uses the cap without a center hinged section, you just unscrew/screw it on and off, there is cross cut knurling helping you get a good grip on the cap. The threads work fine but I think they could have been just a bit better. The Type-C USB charge port is in a very good spot on the device being so close to the bottom of it so it doesn't detract from the appearance. ( HARDLY NOTICEABLE )

20220605_061049.jpg

Feeling as solid as it does with only having a top cap and front face housing the internals to make up of the mod with the battery being the main body shows just how compact the device really is. Another nice feature of the Engine 100w is that the battery sleeves are interchangeable with each other, but you will have to change the drip tip as well to keep the nice matchy-matchy look.

Having 3 different battery options is great and all fit fine with no rattle from any size battery I tested in the device. There is another thing that some may consider a feature with the battery sleeve, it spins freely but some force is needed to do this so for you people that fidget you get a fidget toy as well. The Engine 100w ships with the 18650 battery adapter already in the sleeve. Battery polarity markings are only on the cap showing a - minus symbol for the negative side of your battery.

20220605_070255.jpg

Turning our attention to the back side of the mod you can see 1 of the 2 branding spots on the mod, ENGINE is boldly diamond cut at the top and actually enhances the appearance contrasting against the matt Gunmetal color of the body's frame. I shot this picture at a slight angle and you can see the other branding location at the bottom left on the face that has OBS printed in white.

20220605_112206.jpg

Turning the device around to it's face shows the color display screen of which you have 6 different colors to choose from, I selected green to keep the matchy-matchy look.

I have only a few cons for the mod and one is the size of the fonts ( VERY SMALL ). The wattage, power, lock symbol and puff are the only items of the display screen that are easily visible and easy to distinguish and although bright and vivid enough, it could be brighter.

One feature that I think only OBS has is that the wattage automatically locks at whatever setting is selected once the fire button is pressed and can be unlocked to be readjusted with a simple 3 quick presses of either the up or down button showing a unlock symbol.

I reviewed one of the CUBE devices from OBS and I think it was the CUBE-S some time ago and it had the auto-lock feature on it as well. I really like this more simplified way of locking wattage and you stand a better chance of it staying locked when in a tight pocket.

Having the ability to use 3 different battery types is a great feature of the Engine 100w, because you are maxed out at 80w when using a 18650 it asks you what size battery is being used on the display screen when you first install the battery. If using a 20700 select the 21700 mode when prompted to.

DISPLAY SCREEN LEGEND ( LEFT TO RIGHT & TOP TO BOTTOM )

* OBS

* Battery % And Battery Bar

* Power

* Wattage

* Lock/Unlock Symbol

* Volts

* Ohms

* Second Counter Of Last Vape

* Puff Counter

* Animated Vape Graphic

* Display Screen Color Choices

20220605_114350.jpg

MENU - ( Simple And Easy )

* On/Off - 5 Quick Presses Of The Fire Button

* Wattage Unlock - 3 Quick Presses Of Either The Up Or Down

* Display Screen Color Change - 3 Quick Presses Of The Fire Button

* Clear The Puff Counter - Press The Fire Button And Down Button Simultaneously

* Firmware Version Check - Press And Hold All 3 Buttons Simultaneously

TANK PROS

* Attractive

* Great Flavor

* Matching Drip Tip

* 6 ML Capacity

* Smooth Airflow

* Top Fill

* 3 Airflow Slots

TANK CONS

* Loud

* Very Thirsty

* Juice Fill Ports Should Be Wider

MOD PROS

* Attractive

* 3 Different Sized Battery Options - (21700) (20700) (18650)

* Thin

* Very Responsive Buttons

* Wattage Auto-Lock Feature

* Swappable Battery Tube Sleeves

* Color Display Screen With 6 Color Choices

* Can Be A Fidget Toy

* Very Good Battery Management

* Type-C

* Comfortable Holding In The Hand

MOD CONS

* Small Fonts

* Could Be Brighter

* When A Battery Is Replaced Wattage Pre-Sets To 40 Watts

* Puff Counter Clears Itself When A Battery Is Replaced

20220605_115759.jpg

FINAL IMPRESSIONS

As you can see this is a very simple mod with some very nice features that is perfect for a new vaper wanting to try Sub-Ohm vaping or a seasoned vet looking for a thin device with a drop dead easy menu and only wattage as a power mode.

I only vape in wattage mode personally and having a menu that's simplified is a bonus for me. Multiple color options for customizing the display screen is a nice touch as well and having the ability to buy a different color battery sleeve gives you a new mod at a fraction of the cost of buying a whole device, you will have to get a matching drip tip as well to keep a matchy-matchy look.

The auto-lock wattage feature is a great one that as I believe is only on some OBS devices, I wish all devices had it though. If the font size was larger and the display screen was a bit brighter I really would have no cons with it, the wattage pre-setting to 40w when a new battery is installed really doesn't bother me but it needed to be mentioned.

The tank really performs well and both of the supplied coils are spot on as far as best setting, the best setting on most drop in coils is almost never correct for my taste buds so this was impressive that OBS got it correct for my taste buds anyway. You will need to keep your juice bottle close because both of these coils really plow through juice but I'm fine with that as long as the flavor from them is great which it is.

Overall I think OBS did a great job with the Mod and Tank making this Kit a winner in my book. If you purchase this kit at Sourcemore use code OE1K for a discounted price.

I would like to thank Joyi and Sourcemore for providing this kit for review. I hope all your questions were answered on both the Mod and Tank.

THANK YOU
    BIGBOB2322

Last edited:

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Nice review Bob! I am not usually one to pick green for a mod but that looks really nice. Of course if I was going to buy one it would have to be the blue.
    Both of us share Blue as a favorite color but I have so many Blue devices that I need to mix up some new colors, not only does it look great the coils really produce fantastic flavor that's still coming off the coils after 2 weeks of constant use, but what a guzzler of juice it is.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Both of us share Blue as a favorite color but I have so many Blue devices that I need to mix up some new colors, not only does it look great the coils really produce fantastic flavor that's still coming off the coils after 2 weeks of constant use, but what a guzzler of juice it is.

The tank I just reviewed is a guzzler too. I went through a lot of liquid testing it. I’m going to have to mix more soon.

Reactions: bigbob2322

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    The OBS Engine is one of my favorite mods because of how small and simple the mod is. The Wattage output on it is a beast. The tank and coil were also very good. My only gripe about the tank other than it being a juice guzzler, was that the drip tip was a bit wiggly and was loose enough to allow juice and condensation drip out between the drip tip and the top cap. For what you get for the price however, it's a stellar purchase.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    The OBS Engine is one of my favorite mods because of how small and simple the mod is. The Wattage output on it is a beast. The tank and coil were also very good. My only gripe about the tank other than it being a juice guzzler, was that the drip tip was a bit wiggly and was loose enough to allow juice and condensation drip out between the drip tip and the top cap. For what you get for the price however, it's a stellar purchase.
    This has remained in my daily rotation since I reviewed it 6/10/22 and the 0.2Ω coil is finally about run it's course of life, these coils really last. Sometimes when I first wake up it's the first mod I grab and that first vape startles me with the press of the fire button, 60watts of power in a fraction of a second can startle you when your still half asleep. The problem with the drip tip was corrected after the first batch was released, mine fits very securely in the tank.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    This has remained in my daily rotation since I reviewed it 6/10/22 and the 0.2Ω coil is finally about run it's course of life, these coils really last. Sometimes when I first wake up it's the first mod I grab and that first vape startles me with the press of the fire button, 60watts of power in a fraction of a second can startle you when your still half asleep. The problem with the drip tip was corrected after the first batch was released, mine fits very securely in the tank.
    I may have to look into getting another kit then, or maybe just a new tank. I have like 6 of the mods, lol.

I do agree that the coils lasted much longer than I'd ever imagined, and the flavor output was very close to what I'd expect from the Freemax Fireluke 3. Another downside to the tank was that the coils seem pretty hard to come by.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I may have to look into getting another kit then, or maybe just a new tank. I have like 6 of the mods, lol.

I do agree that the coils lasted much longer than I'd ever imagined, and the flavor output was very close to what I'd expect from the Freemax Fireluke 3. Another downside to the tank was that the coils seem pretty hard to come by.
    Sourcemore was the only place that I could find them so I stocked up but I might have to pick up some more with their 10% sale going on until the 6th of July.

Reactions: Z-Lee
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread