• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ody v1 or Cobra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2011
Singapore
If u like your mod to lie down with no leaks, Ody. Cobra requires some modification.
Ody has plenty of options for your to play with as you can customize it with after market parts. Cobra can't.
You can have the ody with a big or middle or small tank, thus allowing you to have some say in having a bigger or smaller Atty. Cobra can't.
I can think of 100 more comparisons in this manner, but you get the picture. :)

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
What you get depends on your preference and lifestyle, you're comparing two completely different types, the cobra which is a gen style rebuildable which uses steel mesh and the odysseus which uses the silica wick. Both are great products. But to put it simply, if you require to move about a lot, putting your device in your pocket or bag, moving around a lot I wouldn't suggest the Cobra because it'll definitely leak. But if you're just going to be using it at home where you can have your device standing upright all the time then you can go for the cobra.

I have both and they're both very enjoyable vapes, but for me it's always the Odysseus when I have to go out. What comes next really has to do with setting up the device, both has it's disadvantages and advantages. The Odysseus, for me anyways is less of a hassle to set up as you simply coil the wires onto the wick, connect them and put it together. A gen style device like the Cobra would require some fine tuning, i.e getting rid of hot spots, making sure the connection is ok and the mesh and contacts aren't touching. There's also how loose and tight you like your draw to be, the Odysseus has a tighter draw compared to the Cobra, if you don't like very airy draws I wouldn't suggest something like the Cobra, it'll pretty much be like sucking on a straw.

Lastly, every time you make a coil, there's the question of lifespan, generally from what I've experienced, gen style setups do last longer than silica wick, I would say approximately 30% longer, but that's just something minute, when you're familiar with building them it's very easy to do.

I've listed a bunch of stuff here for you to think about, the question now is, which is most important to you? Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.

Currynoah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Edit: I have never used a Cobra genesis atty before. But from the looks of it, it seems to be built for the purpose of leak free vaping as well.

So Imma say Cobra for no faffing around with NR wires... Of course, with that said.... There's bloody Kayfuns and so many Gen atties... Why these 2?? :laugh:

Last edited:

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
Hmm... Cobra doesn't leak? I use the DID and it doesn't leak IF I keep the fill hole closed, but that being said if the fill hole is closed the wicking is horrible, but of course that being said I only do a 3/2 wrap with 26ga Kanthal so it's really low in resistance. My wick is really thin to allow maximum juice flow. So I leave the fill hole open, and it definitely leaks when it's left open, I've never brought it out with the fill hole closed or even left the fill hole closed ever because of bad wicking. But also when I'm outside I'm not really a fan of tilting it at a 45 degree angle just so the juice flow matches the power I vape at lol. I use it only at home on my Poldiac. But perhaps Cobra users can enlighten us on the matter of leaking.

madhero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2011
Singapore
Hmm... Cobra doesn't leak? I use the DID and it doesn't leak IF I keep the fill hole closed, but that being said if the fill hole is closed the wicking is horrible, but of course that being said I only do a 3/2 wrap with 26ga Kanthal so it's really low in resistance. My wick is really thin to allow maximum juice flow. So I leave the fill hole open, and it definitely leaks when it's left open, I've never brought it out with the fill hole closed or even left the fill hole closed ever because of bad wicking. But also when I'm outside I'm not really a fan of tilting it at a 45 degree angle just so the juice flow matches the power I vape at lol. I use it only at home on my Poldiac. But perhaps Cobra users can enlighten us on the matter of leaking.

Any Gen atty can be made leak free. I personally have made ALL my Gen attys leak free and I'm pretty sure with a little innovation, the Cobra can achieve the same.

Last edited:

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
Any Gen atty can be made leak free. I personally have made ALL my Gen attys leak free and I'm pretty sure with a little innovation, the Cobra can achieve the same.

Interesting, though when I mention leak free I mean that I can have it laying down in my bag or where ever for long periods of time and not have it leak. The only way I've found to be able to do this is to close the fill hole, what method are you using and also, will this method that you use have sufficient juice flow for coils that're 0.5-0.7ohms?

madhero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2011
Singapore
Interesting, though when I mention leak free I mean that I can have it laying down in my bag or where ever for long periods of time and not have it leak. The only way I've found to be able to do this is to close the fill hole, what method are you using and also, will this method that you use have sufficient juice flow for coils that're 0.5-0.7ohms?

Yes m8. I know exactly what you mean when you say leak free. Those of us who use Gen attys extensively all day and everyday know the problem of having wet pockets and bags etc. Trick in this is to have a breather hole at the correct size so that its small enough not to allow your juice to flow out but big enough to allow air to pass in when your wick is juicing. I know its hard to fathom using words. I'll see if I can get a video up for you soon. I don't have a multi-meter to measure the ohms on my coil but I'm pretty sure if I do a twisted with 28ga wires with a 2/3 wrap should pretty much be sub-ohm yes?
Making it leak free without the possibility of it juicing the wick is no solution in my books.

Last edited:

Currynoah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

This is one thing I don't understand. Why are you guys doing these crazy low ohms that you have to tilt to wick? I vape with a 1.8mm single rolled, coarse #200 loose wick in a 2mm wickhole, running a 1.3 - 1.5ohm, and I vape it with an angle of approximately 135 degrees. The atty comes with 3 holes for U-wicks configurations. So, it comes with 2 plugs. And a 1mm airhole.

Both plugs in, no leaking and no dry hits. I have to draw for my liquid to come up though... Not true capillary action, but more like vacuum action.

Good flavor and good vapour in my opinion, and a satisfied vaper.

Last edited:

madhero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2011
Singapore
This is one thing I don't understand. Why are you guys doing these crazy low ohms that you have to tilt to wick? I vape with a 1.8mm single rolled, coarse #200 loose wick in a 2mm wickhole, running a 1.3 - 1.5ohm, and I vape it with an angle of approximately 135 degrees. The atty comes with 3 holes for U-wicks configurations. So, it comes with 2 plugs. And a 1mm airhole.

Both plugs in, no leaking and no dry hits. I have to draw for my liquid to come up though... Not true capillary action, but more like vacuum action.

Good flavor and good vapour in my opinion, and a satisfied vaper.

Hot vapes bro. Hot vapes.
And I'm drooling for some Georgian Peach. :D

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
Well the reason I use low resistance coils is because I still want to have a decent vape even when the battery is low, being that I use a mechanical mod the voltage isn't regulated so it will go from 4.2V down to 3.4V, but I usually switch them out at 3.6V or so. It does drain the battery faster. So let's say I have a 0.6ohm coil and it dropped to 3.6V, that would still give me a 21.5watt vape which is ok to me. But I guess more or less it's because I used to be a very heavy smoker going through 2-3 packs of Marlboro Reds everyday that I like heavy hitting vapes. Also the warmth/flavor/throat hit is just superb lol. But mostly I would say it's making up for a device that can't regulate voltage, and also because regulated device don't go that high so it's sort of give and take. But that being said, everyone is different, I like my vapes above 25 watts and I vape 18mg strength, to a lot of people that's too strong, but to each his own so my coils are tailored to my preferences and I do them in both my Odysseus and DID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread