Oh my God...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris From Cali

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
It's amazing how different the smell is after you have stopped smoking. I remember I used to love the smell of a Marlboro light. After vaping for well over a year I can't stand the smell of a cigarette. The smell just doesn't seem the same.

Just like you, I had a freind of mine who has yet to move over to vaping come into work and start up a conversation, I could smell the smoke from about 2 feet away I couldn't believe it! Horrible smell.

Tracey1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Tampa, Fl
I work with a lot of smokers and a FEW non-smokers. When I'm in a room with a non-smoker and someone comes in from outside after just having had a smoke, I am just amazed at how disgusting it is. I find myself looking at my non-smoking co-workers thinking they might say something to the smoker. Like, JEESH, YOU SMELL LIKE A FREAKIN' ASHTRAY. or OMG, I NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE, or I THINK I'M GONNA BE SICK. But they never do. They have been forced to put up with it and just suffer through it, as do I now. I've come to rely on a scripture that says "This too shall pass".
I apologized to the girl I work with. And I need to buy my non-smoking Mom and daughter some flowers for putting up with me for so long.

jdg

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Eastern South Dakota
I'll put in my two pennies. I still love the smell of a freshly-lit cigarette, as I always have. It's one of the strongest olfactory memories I have of my childhood, and I hope I can always appreciate it. Pipe smoke also still smells good.
It's the "aftermath" smell that bothers the crap out of me now. A lot like a good hearty coffee's transformation from delicious to offensive, cigarette smoke loses all of it "full" notes and becomes acrid when it sits on a person for any period of time. What was sweet turns sour. This only applies to full flavor cigarettes, for me. Light cigarettes are usually acrid and sour from ignition to the end, and ten times worse when the smell sits.
The worst part of it is knowing that I smelled like that. I probably stunk up entire floors of buildings when I walked through. I really feel like I should apologize to my non-smoking colleagues for doing that to them.
With that said, I still allow my friends to smoke in my house, but I can smell the d*mn things all over for at least 24 hours. I will never ever "call out" a smoker for smelling like smoke. I can make the choice to not be around them if it bothers me that much. That's an easy choice to make. I know exactly how hard it is to make the choice not to smoke anymore, though, and I'd be a hypocrite for being mean to a person that hasn't yet found what will get them off cigarettes.
I will, however, show them my electronic cigarette... and I might even mention the smell being one my main motivators for switching. There are enough other benefits to discuss, though, without having to embarrass anyone.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
It's strange this time around for me - I last quit for about a year back in 1996. Back then I still liked the smell of cigarettes, and it was very difficult to be around anyone who smoked. And when I finally broke down and had one (which led to buying another 4600 packs), it tasted great. But this time is different - the smell of a cig is repulsive, and I don't even want to know what it tastes like now. Maybe feeling like I was being "deprived" of something last time around made them still smell appealing. At any rate, I'm happy to have a completely different reaction now.

Garrell6888

ECF Veteran
I'll put in my two pennies. I still love the smell of a freshly-lit cigarette, as I always have. It's one of the strongest olfactory memories I have of my childhood, and I hope I can always appreciate it. Pipe smoke also still smells good.
It's the "aftermath" smell that bothers the crap out of me now.

So true. I love to be around smokers. I go outside and vape with them partially to expose myself to their smoke. But my gf still smokes and every time she comes over...well...I'm pretty close to leaving a bottle of mouthwash by the door.

She'll be living in the dorms soon, and cant smoke inside. She asked for my 510 for the dorms cause I just ordered a V2....YES! Step one, complete.

AaronCooper

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2009
UK
Its strange.....If certain people have come in from outside smoking, I love that just smoked a cig smell.....even when I had quit cold turkey for 2 years...But others smelled like an ashtray....I never understood why some stunk like a stale ashtray and others did not.....

When i was a smoker, which wasn't long ago, my social workers at my hostel didn't even know i smoked because they never smelt it on me, but said they could smell certain people miles off. Not sure if it's what type of cigarettes you smoke, or has anything to do with hygiene or what lol.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yeah, well wait until TASTE one of them, now. They're DISGUSTING !! I cannot imagine EVER being able to smoke a whole cig ever again. I had no idea how NASTY they really are.

Oh - you mean taste a cigarette! When I first read that I thought you mean taste a smoker. :pervy:

~A

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yes it is very digusting and I even get very green in the face if I am in close quarters with a smoker for very long now. It is so bad that my legs turn to jello on me and I can barely keep myself from falling over. I feel so foolish after being a smoker for over thirty years and the smell of them just knocks me on my a$% now, unbelievable.

Kilroy2.0

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Madison, WI
I do not say anything to anybody but oh man the stink! I got in a elevator the other day nobody was in it but someone must have just came back from a cigarette brake because it stunk to high heaven. I can smell people when they walk by me in a store and all I can think is I can not believe I use to go around smelling like that.

My dad and his girlfriend chain smoke and going over to their house use to bother me when I smoked. Now it makes me sick to my stomach and gives me a headache if I am there longer then an hour.

I am almost glad for the smoking band now, I don't know that I could go into a bar for any amount of time that still allowed smoking.

Gena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread