Ohm's Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! So just about to take another step in vaping and I'm still a little confused about Ohm's law. From what I've been told its not as important to know when dealing with VV/VW mods as opposed to mechs so here's my question. I want to rebuild my Evod atty and get a 1.5 ohm resistance using a cotton wick. I'm currently using an MVP 2.0 and want to run it at its max voltage (5v). I downloaded a handy ohms law app and input what I knew. Under volts I put in 5 and under ohms I put in 1.5. The problem I ran into was once I entered those it said it would draw 16.67 watts. The MVP can only be manually set to 11 watts. Am I going to run into a problem? If that's not going to be a problem could you please explain. Thanks everyone!!

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Good question, you used Ohm's Law and the results seem not to be possible. But don't worry, there's no way to break Ohm's Law...:)

The reason for your results and why you've "been told its not as important to know when dealing with VV/VW mods" are the same. A VV/VW mod has electronics inside that control the voltage and amperage that are available to your clearo.

In your example with a 1.5Ω coil if you set the mod for 5 volts the watts and amperage would be above the maximum the mod is designed to produce. What will happen is the mod might display 5 volts, but the actual voltage delivered to the clearo will only be 4 volts. Your MVP will automatically reduce the voltage output, to keep the watts and amps within it specifications.

p.s. I've found I can burn just about any juice I have at 10 watts or less....:laugh:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Stock atomizers are not designed to handle 16 watts of power, period. If you want to use them, the (Kanger) recommended range is 5.5-7.5 watts. If you go much higher than that, there's no way the device will be able to deliver enough e-liquid to the coil fast enough to cool it off and you'll end up with nasty dry hits.

If you really need 16 watts of power, you'll have to switch to RBAs.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    The problem I ran into was once I entered those it said it would draw 16.67 watts. The MVP can only be manually set to 11 watts. Am I going to run into a problem? If that's not going to be a problem could you please explain

Probably not. The MVP can only give you a max output on a 1.5 Ohm coil before it knows it's limit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread