Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
New to this, building a new single coil with 26 ga wire today.
Tested the coil on the ohms meter, read at 1.21.
Ok, close to what I want.
Screwed the coil back into the tank and it reads .015.
Huh?
Anyone else run into this?

Did you double check your post screws are tight? After heating the wire can deform a bit under the post screws and let the coil loosen up a bit, which can cause weird ohm readings.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK, I mostly get funky readings like that if one of the wires is loose in the post. It could equally be the other thing, but that tends to produce a 0.00 reading for me, not a resistance. But check both and see what's goin on because it could be either, and since it read fine on your Ohm's reader, the second scenario is equally possible, maybe one coil is just grazing the chimney or something. Etc.

Good luck,

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
IDK, I mostly get funky readings like that if one of the wires is loose in the post. It could equally be the other thing, but that tends to produce a 0.00 reading for me, not a resistance. But check both and see what's goin on because it could be either, and since it read fine on your Ohm's reader, the second scenario is equally possible, maybe one coil is just grazing the chimney or something. Etc.

Good luck,

Anna

I agree.

It depends on which end of the coil is touching ground. At the negative end it just lowers the resistance a little. At the positive coil end a short can take it almost to ground potential.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Coils might be touching inside of the barrel of the tank causing a short.
Thanks for the responses all.
Yes, this is my number one suspect.
I fiddled with it a little today and seems to be holding at .8 now, still lower than I desire, but better.
I double checked the screws when it first happened and the leads and screws all appeared secure with leads cut back flush.
I will rebuild again tomorrow and see what happens.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Thanks for the responses all.
    Well thank you for asking questions here instead of maybe becoming a statistic that we, and certainly you, don't need.

Walee

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2017
    Did another coil today came in at 1.58 on the meter.
    Mod at 1.6 .
    After vaping for awhile slight variance to 1.64.
    Is that normal?
    Probably. Especially if it is SS, TI, or NI. Those wires will increase in resistance as they get hotter. Still concerned about your ohm meter. 1.21Ω is difficult to achieve with 26ga wire if it is SS. That's like 17 wraps on a 3mm rod. What are you using for a meter? Standard ohm meters will not read milliohms.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
    Aug 9, 2017
    Probably. Especially if it is SS, TI, or NI. Those wires will increase in resistance as they get hotter. Still concerned about your ohm meter. 1.21Ω is difficult to achieve with 26ga wire if it is SS. That's like 17 wraps on a 3mm rod. What are you using for a meter? Standard ohm meters will not read milliohms.

Using 32 ga twisted kanthal, only 5 wraps @ 2.5mm.

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California
    What does steam-engine.org say your build should ohm at...

Sounds like you have internal shorting. Coil touching what it should not.... also are you measuring ohm with the VOM at the same contact points as the posts would have... if not you will get a high reading do to leg loss.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I wouldn’t be too concern with slight variances. Steam Engine is an excellent source of reference but they are only calculating the true resistance of the coil through known parameters and not taking into account any influences the deck, 510 connection or any internals within the mod may have on the reading. Have a look at some of DJLsb Vapes videos on YouTube where he objectively compares the resistance readings from mods to the actual resistance that was read through sophisticated equipment. There is not a single mod (at least from what I’ve seen) that is 100% accurate.

1.21 ohms to 0.015 is drastic and identifies a problem as others mentioned. But 1.58 to 1.6 is acceptable. Also, coils should be read at room temperature

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread