ohms too low?? Rookie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddlysour

Mar 29, 2018
So im running my first 220w (smok tpriv) and a couple different rdta's. So when I use more simple coils I can run whatever wattage I please, but these staple staggered fused clapton's I just bought wont register, it just says "ohms too low" in power mode (.8ohms)
They however can register in temperature control settings, but I'm not sure how to set that up as I dont see a setting for kanthal. So which metal should I run it as? Is it weird that my mod won't read on wattage mode?

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The higher the "mass" of your coils (ie clapton coils), the more power is needed to fire them. Single coils have minimal mass.

I'm not very familiar with Temp Control, and hence I don't use it. What little I know is you can only use certain wire for TC. Maybe Nickle, Stainless Steel, and Titanium (?). I don't think you can use Kanthal.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The only boards doing TC of some sorts with kanthal are hohmtech and dicodes. To my knowledge no other devices have such functionality. Your SMOK 100% is unable to do that, don't vape a kanthal coil in TC on it (it'll likely just burn the cotton).

Are you sure it says 0.8Ω and not 0.08Ω? .8Ω shouldn't be any problem for your device.

If it does say .08Ω then there's some hot spots in that coil, you can take the coil out and gently heat it with a torch to release stress and oxidize the surface a bit, then try again.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Kanthal won't work in TC mode. So if the claptons are Kanthal you should only use wattage.

What batteries are in there? Could be they can't output enough wattage. Or the coils could be loose. You build the coil or are they factory coils?

What wattage you trying to use? No way you are getting 220W out of 2 batteries no matter what the mod is rated at. .8 ohm or .08 ohm?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
So im running my first 220w (smok tpriv) and a couple different rdta's. So when I use more simple coils I can run whatever wattage I please, but these staple staggered fused clapton's I just bought wont register, it just says "ohms too low" in power mode (.8ohms)
They however can register in temperature control settings, but I'm not sure how to set that up as I dont see a setting for kanthal. So which metal should I run it as? Is it weird that my mod won't read on wattage mode?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Just be safe.
Might like to read some commentaries on sub-ohm vaping:
What Ohms should I choose?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/how-is-sub-ohm-vaping-dangerous.462202/
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
https://spinfuel.com/sub-ohm-vaping/

Coils&clouds

Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento CA
Kanthal cannot run in t.c bro

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The only metal I'd trust to run TC on a smok mod (they aren't exactly known for accuracy) would be stainless steel (can also be run in wattage mode). Nickel can melt if run incorrectly or inaccurately especially with a high wattage ramp up and titanium can give off undesirable byproducts into your vape.

I will say... I think Letitia's correct, and you've got a build that is so low resistance, your mod can't fire it or possibly even READ it, it's just not going to fire.

If you don't have an ohm's reader, get one. I don't think you need (to start) to go any lower than 0.4 or 0.3 with your RTA. If you are unfamiliar with steam-engine.org, you might want to start using it, it can tell you (based on wire type and measurements you input, e.g. coil diameter, lengths of legs, dual or single build etc.) how to target a more reasonable resistance. You could, for example choose to run ONE exotic coil (that should double your resistance) or a more simple round wire build at a higher resistance.

Do not try to run kanthal in TC, unless you have a Hohm Tech mod and even then I might be wary.

Also, I'd try wattage mode for now. Once you have things running nicely, then you can look at TC, as you know what types of "wattage" your builds "require" as a start-up wattage for TC. It's the reason I most often use stainless steel, can switch over quite easily.

Many "exotic" builds cannot be run in TC, but without knowing what wire types you have, I couldn't say.

Good luck, keep asking questions until it becomes clear.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: ExtremeDooty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread