Ok DNA40 hitting temp help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altramagnus

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
Maryland, United States
I have been struggling with this very issue. I've been battling inconsistent vapes with my VaporShark rDNA40 for almost a month now. I've tried different RDAs, different wire gauges, tooling with airflow, making sure my coil is proper (spaced, no hot spots, screwed down firm), and everything else people always suggest. I really want to believe that I do not have a faulty board, but it really should not be this impossible to find consistency. I am almost at my wit's end, and I'm on the verge of contacting VaporShark for repair/replacement, because at this point it's literally the only thing I haven't tried.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations, but I assure you, you are not alone. Good luck!

PS - Any updates since you posted this?

The coil I made in the above post is still going strong the same ohm reading since building. The only thing I havn't been able to get down yet is making a coil that will fire at 30w + at 450f like I see so many posting. If I set it like this I still hit temp really fast. I am building on multiple attys with major airflow so i'm at a loss.

I may try ti wire like suggested and see. I am still unsure.

Shawn

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
The coil I made in the above post is still going strong the same ohm reading since building. The only thing I havn't been able to get down yet is making a coil that will fire at 30w + at 450f like I see so many posting. If I set it like this I still hit temp really fast. I am building on multiple attys with major airflow so i'm at a loss.

I may try ti wire like suggested and see. I am still unsure.

Shawn

wicking most likely. try dripping directly on the coil and seeing what happens

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
Give 24ga titanium a try, I think you may be very pleased and enjoy the chip much more. I have been using the same coil for over a week in my N22 and it started at .21Ω and has stayed there, refinement is negligible with Ti.

got some G1 TI 30 ga on the way now, what are you setting your temp at?

i asked another ECF Veteran and was told to go 80 to 100 degrees less w/TI

i also had some temp problems at first using 28ga NI200 8 wraps on a 1/8th bit, went to a smaller bit w/28ga NI200 (i believe a 3/32) with 10 wraps on an N22 @ .16 and been having very good results thus far...i DIY my own Jooze @ 50/50, have the temp set at 460 w/Rayon at 25 watts...i have the Blue Angel Cig Cln.
have also noticed the 510 pin & the atty pin need constant cleaning & not cranking the atty down but just snug, so far so good...this temp control definitely has a learning curve. have built on 6 different atty's so far and my best results are comming from my Jam & N-22 rda's, still have the Zenith v2 to try

now i'm gonna try some 30ga TI wire and it's here at the main P.O. just waiting for it to get delivered to my P.O. Box, and interested in Temp settings for this wire.

this was my first NI200 build with a blue Little boy, the discoloration on the wick is from a few drops of Belgain Cocoa over the top of some Pineapple.
sando7-albums-regulated-non-box-mods-picture417340-dna40-cln-8-wrap-28ga-ni200-build-my-first-build-they-somewhat-better-now-little-practice-wick-not-burnt-i-just-hit-couple-drops-belgain-cocoa-over-top-some-pineapple-umm-good.jpg

sando7-albums-regulated-non-box-mods-picture417341-dna40-cln.jpg

sando7-albums-regulated-non-box-mods-picture417339-dna40-cln-w-blue-little-boy.jpg

Last edited:

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
now i'm gonna try some 30ga TI wire and it's here at the main P.O. just waiting for it to get delivered to my P.O. Box, and interested in Temp settings for this wire.

Would you please let me know how the 30g TI works out? 24g seems to be the popular choice, but Im currently running a Hobo, which is already a really tight squeeze with 30g NI, so I don't think it would accommodate 24 at all of any type of wire - given the thickness. But then again, it sounds like 30gauge TI would require many more wraps than 30gauge NI - so there's a space issue there as well in terms of coil length.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like if I'm going to consider using TI, I would need an rda with more space to house a larger coil?

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
......@ Insomanaic10, my plan was to get 24 ga grade#1 but the place did not have it and so the 30 ga was.......you are correct if you just used 1 piece of 30 ga TI, i'm gonna twist 2 or 3 pieces on a drill then wrap; so i'll have to play w/it until i find what works....i'll post my results once i get it down...i could not get to the P.O. today so my wire is just sitting there waiting on me.
https://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=123&cat=Titanium+Wire

OP, no hijak intended!

Last edited:

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Last edited:

Altramagnus

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
Maryland, United States
......@ Insomanaic10, my plan was to get 24 ga grade#1 but the place did not have it and so the 30 ga was.......you are correct if you just used 1 piece of 30 ga TI, i'm gonna twist 2 or 3 pieces on a drill then wrap; so i'll have to play w/it until i find what works....i'll post my results once i get it down...i could not get to the P.O. today so my wire is just sitting there waiting on me.
https://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=123&cat=Titanium+Wire

OP, no hijak intended!

Ti talk welcome, I am about to buy some.

SHawn

Altramagnus

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
Maryland, United States
FYI, here's what my vape looks like (video link below). I know you can't tell, but there is plenty of juice in there. Wells are filled.

30gauge nickel, 10 wraps, single, .18ohms, 410F, 14W, wraps are neatly spaced, coil is not touching anything, not hot spots, etc etc etc

Fun right? This is what I deal with on a day-to-day, coil-to-coil, rda-to-rda basis with this DNA40. (sorry for the hurricane breathing, the phone was very close to my face)

Same thing I dealt with, if I cranked up the watts it would just hit temp right away. Only way I got around it was up the temp to 550f ish. Defeats the purpose of no dry burn but I drip so I don't really get burnt hits since I am used to knowing when to drip.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
High VG juices are going to hit temp control MUCH quicker than 50/50 or higher PG juices.

High VG works much better in a tank that can handle high VG.

well that would apply to me... I only vape DIY w/max vg 95+% no pg to speak of... so even Ti is not gonna help huh? :/ thats a bummer... i hate pg...

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
VG doesn't hit boiling point until ~554 degrees F.

So until you reach that temperature there will always be VG in the wick being heated with the coil. The VG essentially becomes a thermal insulator for the coil, which requires longer cool down periods.

With a tank ... fresh (and COOL) liquid is constantly being pulled to the wick which cools the coil and heated VG.

That's my theory and i'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
VG doesn't hit boiling point until ~554 degrees F.

So until you reach that temperature there will always be VG in the wick being heated with the coil. The VG essentially becomes a thermal insulator for the coil, which requires longer cool down periods.

With a tank ... fresh (and COOL) liquid is constantly being pulled to the wick which cools the coil and heated VG.

That's my theory and i'm sticking to it.

Which tanks have you had luck with by the way -- I got a couple on order but I'll have to poke around for something that only takes a single coil...

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    But then again, it sounds like 30gauge TI would require many more wraps than 30gauge NI - so there's a space issue there as well in terms of coil length.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like if I'm going to consider using TI, I would need an RDA with more space to house a larger coil?

If you want the same surface area and power setting, exactly the same wraps as for Ti, Ni and even Kanthal. However, getting the surface area with soft #30 Ni might collapse under its own weight ...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread