OK guys have some questions on batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antmf

Jul 16, 2012
New York
Hey guys, first off I just want to say that you guys have been so so helpful in me picking out an e-cig for the wife :) I would love nothing more for her to stop. So thanks again to all of you. Now on to my question: We have decided to go with the Volt starter kit from Smokeless Image but the option for the batter like 78MM manual 78 MM manual 65 MM battery. Aside from the power what is manual and what is auto? And which batteries ( kit comes with 2) do you guys recommend. Also if she is looking for a basic tobacco flavor which flavor do i go with? Please let me know. BTW here is the link to the page Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Volt - Standard Starter Kit - Starter Kits so you guys can look at it if need be. Thanks again guys...

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
Auto means you just draw air through it to activate the battery. Manual means you have to push a button. Most beginners prefer the auto, but autos aren't sealed (they have to have air flow) vs a manual that is sealed. Sooner or later with most autos you'll get some juice in them which usually kills them. If she doesn't like the idea of pushing a button, get her an auto, but just be careful with it.

Flavors are very subjective. Buy small bottles at first till she finds some she likes. Search around this forum and you'll find lots of good vendors that sell it.

Ty89m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Bozeman, MT
If the battery is automatic, it doesn't require the user to "push" a power button to activate the battery. It senses air flow when you take a pull, in turn activating the heating element. A manual battery is just that, it requires you to push the power button to activate the battery.

I've never used an auto battery, but I can only assume a manual version is probably more reliable, and they are also the most common. Most, if not all larger Mods/PV's use a manual button system.

The user above me was right, the numbers relate to the length of the battery. The longer the battery, the longer it *should* last.

Edit: gthompson beat me to it. I'll add, ECBlends is a good place to sample different juice flavors, as they have small 2ml~ sample sized bottles that cost next to nothing. Many vendors provide sample packs as well. It just takes some trial and error to find a juice that suits :)

Last edited:

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
The main difference in the 78 mm to the 64(?)mm is the 74 is longer and will allow more vape time before needing to be recharged. If you are going with the Volt I would suggest the 78mm batteries, they really are worth the extra $1.

While there are a few out there that prefer the auto batteries, the manual really do give you better control. With auto you need to take a primer puff where with a manual you can just hold the button down for a second or two before you take a draw from it. They also seem to last longer.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
If you're 'on the fence', I'd also suggest getting an auto and a manual. I prefer manuals, as the battery will last longer, but to each their own. The reason the manuals will last longer between charges is because it only heats when you press the button (which took me alll of 5 seconds to get used to) whereas the auto can, and does sometimes heat when you don't want it to. Sometimes, just waving it around in the air can cause it to 'activate'. Happy shopping!:D

Tolver

Aug 12, 2012
San Francisco
Flavors are very subjective. Buy small bottles at first till she finds some she likes. Search around this forum and you'll find lots of good vendors that sell it.

Welcome to Tasty Vapor
"Why Do The People On Your ECF Forum Suggest I Let My Liquids Sit For A Week Before I Use Them?

Tasty Vapor mixes every single liquid fresh, from scratch. So, unlike the stuff you may get from another vendor which has likely had time to sit on a shelf for a while, ours hasn't had any time for the flavors to "steep". Some flavors are great and ready to go and get even better, there are flavors, more particularly any "creamy" flavor, may take a good week to steep for you to taste the full complexity of the liquid."

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
The Smokeless Image auto battery is also sealed. I have heard from others that you should try a manual and an auto battery to see which you prefer.

I use a Volt. I like it.

A small correction here, the Volt uses a modified design that makes it much harder to get liquid down in to the electronics, but it most certainly isn't sealed. That said, I can't recall hearing about anyone killing an automatic volt, you basically have to leave it laying on it's side in a puddle of juice to risk getting anything into it.

Try both, some people love the convenience of not having to push a little button, other people don't like the fact that you tend to have to prime them to get a really strong vape. With a manual when it's on it's on, but the automatics tend to have a small delay and people find them selves taking a short draw to get it turn on and then taking actual hit on the device. Without trying the two you won't really know which one you'll like.

Last edited:

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
Sometimes, just waving it around in the air can cause it to 'activate'.

Yup. Sometimes you don't even have to wave them around. When I first started, I had them activate driving with the windows down. Many of them are also noise sensitive. Don't go to a rock concert with one in your pocket. :)

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
I started with automatics, thinking that the button didn't sound good to me...I moved quickly to manuals. With small batteries like these, a little extra battery life from the manual is significant.

Smokeless Image makes a great product, btw. Consider getting her an X2 along with the kit, for extra battery life and "passthrough" option.

MattyB1503

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
OC, CA
Antmf,

Hey Matty here, I'm a noobie but I just recently got a Volt so I figured I'de post. I'm vaping on it right now and cig free for the last two weeks.

Anyways, I did not buy a kit. Their money back garantee only extends to kits however their 30 day warranty does cover batteries ect. and I read enough positive reviews to not worry about some garantee.

Well what I bought was 2 auto 78mm batteries, 1 manual 78mm battery, 2 USB chargers (the 8 dollar ones), 2 packs of blank cartomizers, and that cool little 50 cent carto case. My entire bill with shipping was something like $68.

Currently I am vaping juice from Vaperite, they have a perique (among other tobacco flovors) and I quit smoking a American Spirit periques.

To charge my batts I use a old power block, or power supply, or ac to dc transformer (what ever you what to call it) from a cell phone. You know, plugs into the wall and has a female USB output. I read the specs on the power block just to make sure; it outputs 5V at 1000mA, which is fine because the Volt USB charger requires 5V and only draws 500mA. Sorry if that is too technical, basically it works fine.

As others have said, go for the 78mm batteries, it's worth the dollar. They are 320mah, and last longer then I expected them to. I can drain one in about 2 hours of heavy heavy vaping but they typically last me about half the day with moderate use.

Manual vs. Auto, again it's a preference thing... Volt's autos have a 7 second cutoff and manuals have a 5 second cutoff. I wish I had got 2 manuals and 1 auto but I like them both. I use the auto when in out and about: driving, walking around, at a bar, ect. Basically multi tasking. I feel like I get more vapor from the manual and def prefer them when I'm at home or just relaxing. I'm not really sure if manuals hold their charge longer... Just haven't noticed a big difference.

Anyways, hope that helps some.

I am more than pleased with my Volt. (for now, lol)

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I don't know if it has been brought up yet, but another reason the manual batteries are more popular is because you push the button as you are bringing it up to your mouth, so the atomizer is already hot and ready by the time you actually draw. With an automatic it takes a second before the atomizer actually is ready, which is why people suggest a "primer puff". The primer puff is a small draw to kinda preheat the coil, before you actually take your puff.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Yup. Sometimes you don't even have to wave them around. When I first started, I had them activate driving with the windows down. Many of them are also noise sensitive. Don't go to a rock concert with one in your pocket. :)

What gthompson says WAS true at one time...over a year ago maybe. I've had Volt batteries...both automatic and manual since early October of 2011 and have had NO issues with them setting off due to wind, vibration or noise. That problem has been addressed and doesn't apply anymore.

There is much to be said for the manuals...as has been pointed out. I started with automatic...then went to manuals for many months. In the past 3 months or so I've returned to automatics, however. Many people new to vaping find it more "natural" feeling when first starting out. In my case...I simply like the draw better. The way the vapor behaves. I just find it more pleasurable. I currently use mostly X2s (the bigger mAh batteries at the Smokeless Image site) but have tried nearly everything out there...with the except of a Provari. All have good points, but I just genuinely LIKE automatics. Something about the "way" they vape. Hard to explain.

Best bet might be to try to one of each and let your wife give it a try and see what she likes. And remember...women reserve the right to change their minds at any time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread