ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
Meeting Minutes

Oklahoma House Public Health Committee

Tuesday, April 9, 2013, 1:30 p.m., Room 412C, State Capitol

Schwartz said the single unifying fact that he's heard from individuals was that
legislators should restrict access to tobacco products for minors. He said he
felt uncomfortable with the bill when it came from the Senate, noting the tax
section. He said the committee would see the bill again if approved. He
suggested legislators continue including individuals from all sides in
discussions on the bill.

Enns asked Schwartz if any "voodoo" could happen with this bill without the
committee voting on it again. Schwartz said no.

The Bill failed 4-7.

So, I don't quite get where this is going but...in my county, probably in all of California, it is illegal to sell spray paint to minors. ID is required, and it's kept in locked cabinets.

There is NO mention of it being a tobacco product, and no mention of it being thought dangerous for teenagers to handle. I'm pretty sure it is thought to be dangerous to freeway overcrossings and sound barriers, railway cars, the sides of restaurants, and a host of other places where artists like to sign their 'handle.'

Tanis143

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
www.tandp.us
So, I don't quite get where this is going but...in my county, probably in all of California, it is illegal to sell spray paint to minors. ID is required, and it's kept in locked cabinets.

There is NO mention of it being a tobacco product, and no mention of it being thought dangerous for teenagers to handle. I'm pretty sure it is thought to be dangerous to freeway overcrossings and sound barriers, railway cars, the sides of restaurants, and a host of other places where artists like to sign their 'handle.'

Actually, the reason why its banned for sale to minors (same as here in OK) is because spray paint is used for huffing. This is where they spray a bunch of paint into a bag then inhale the fumes for a quick high.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
And . . . Oklahoma is back in play again . . .

On April 9, 2013, after somewhere between 250 and 300 e-cigarette users and members of the Oklahoma business community came out to Oklahoma City to protest SB 802 (a bill authored by RJ Reynolds), the House Health Committee wisely voted unfavorably on the bill.

SB 802 was sponsored by Senator Rob Johnson (who previously falsely claimed that e-cigarette companies sold their products in malls so they could target youth). Unfortunately, it appears that Senator Johnson is not giving up.

Senator Rob Johnson quietly pushed SB 802 through the Oklahoma Senate by attaching it as an amendment to an entirely unrelated bill, HB 2097.

Edmond Republican Sen. Rob Johnson attached the new language to a bill Tuesday in the form of an amendment that narrowly passed on a 23-22 vote. The bill now returns to the House for consideration of Senate amendments.

Read more: Tax plan for e-cigarettes revived in Okla. Senate - SFGate

We are in the process of updating CASAA's Call to Action for Oklahoma, but in the meanwhile, please contact members of the House and urge them to vote NO on HB 2097 as passed by the Senate unless and until Senator Johnson's Floor Amendment, which would raise your taxes as a premium e-cigarette user, is removed or substantially amended.

donarmes@okhouse.gov, garybanz@okhouse.gov, john.bennett@okhouse.gov, scott.biggs@okhouse.gov, lisajbilly@okhouse.gov, gusblackwell@okhouse.gov, mikebrown@okhouse.gov, david.brumbaugh@okhouse.gov, ed.cannaday@okhouse.gov, dennis.casey@okhouse.gov, mike.christian@okhouse.gov, bob.cleveland@okhouse.gov, josh.cockroft@okhouse.gov, donnie.condit@okhouse.gov, anncoody@okhouse.gov, mariancooksey@okhouse.gov, dougcox@okhouse.gov, david.dank@okhouse.gov, leedenney@okhouse.gov, david.derby@okhouse.gov, daledewitt@okhouse.gov, joedorman@okhouse.gov, jon.echols@okhouse.gov, john.enns@okhouse.gov, dan.fisher@okhouse.gov, kay.floyd@okhouse.gov, will.fourkiller@okhouse.gov, larryglenn@okhouse.gov, randy.grau@okhouse.gov, elise.hall@okhouse.gov, rebeccahamilton@okhouse.gov, tommy.hardin@okhouse.gov, katie.henke@okhouse.gov, jwhickman@okhouse.gov, chuck.hoskin@okhouse.gov, arthur.hulbert@okhouse.gov, scott.inman@okhouse.gov, mikejackson@okhouse.gov, dennis.johnson@okhouse.gov, fred.jordan@okhouse.gov, charlie.joyner@okhouse.gov, sallykern@okhouse.gov, dan.kirby@okhouse.gov, steve.kouplen@okhouse.gov, james.lockhart@okhouse.gov, scott.martin@okhouse.gov, stevemartin@okhouse.gov, kevin.matthews@okhouse.gov, mark.mcbride@okhouse.gov, charles.mccall@okhouse.gov, mark.mccullough@okhouse.gov, curtis.mcdaniel@okhouse.gov, jeanniemcdaniel@okhouse.gov, randy.mcdaniel@okhouse.gov, skye.mcniel@okhouse.gov, jerrymcpeak@okhouse.gov, lewis.moore@okhouse.gov, richardmorrissette@okhouse.gov, glen.mulready@okhouse.gov, jason.murphey@okhouse.gov, jason.nelson@okhouse.gov, tom.newell@okhouse.gov, jadine.nollan@okhouse.gov, terry.odonnell@okhouse.gov, charles.ortega@okhouse.gov, leslie.osborn@okhouse.gov, pat.ownbey@okhouse.gov, david.perryman@okhouse.gov, pampeterson@okhouse.gov, anastasia.pittman@okhouse.gov, eric.proctor@okhouse.gov, rcpruett@okhouse.gov, marty.quinn@okhouse.gov, brian.renegar@okhouse.gov, mikereynolds@okhouse.gov, mike.ritze@okhouse.gov, dustin.roberts@okhouse.gov, sean.roberts@okhouse.gov, waderousselot@okhouse.gov, todd.russ@okhouse.gov, mike.sanders@okhouse.gov, colby.schwartz@okhouse.gov, seneca.scott@okhouse.gov, earl.sears@okhouse.gov, tw.shannon@okhouse.gov, mikeshelton@okhouse.gov, bensherrer@okhouse.gov, jerryshoemake@okhouse.gov, jason.smalley@okhouse.gov, aaron.stiles@okhouse.gov, todd.thomsen@okhouse.gov, johntrebilcock@okhouse.gov, mike.turner@okhouse.gov, steve.vaughan@okhouse.gov, emily.virgin@okhouse.gov, ken.walker@okhouse.gov, weldon.watson@okhouse.gov, paulwesselhoft@okhouse.gov, cory.williams@okhouse.gov, justin.wood@okhouse.gov, harold.wright@okhouse.gov

Holbie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
copied all e-mail addresses and sent a message, I may be from Indiana but I dont want any precedents started and a wave of bans across the US, this is just the newest form of prohibition... (maybe they'll drop their prohibition ban on herbal remedies now :) not holding my puff... I mean breath tho)

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Actually, we're too late on this. It's already been approved by the Senate.

Oklahoma Senate revives tax plan for electronic cigarettes | News OK

Quote from the article: "Edmond Republican Sen. Rob Johnson attached the new language to a bill Tuesday in the form of an amendment that narrowly passed on a 23-22 vote. The bill now returns to the House for consideration of Senate amendments."

Sad day here in Oklahoma :(

Jahf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
Nederland, Colorado, United States
Thanks for the heads up. I just wrote them all. In 1 month my house in OK will be sold and I won't be able to claim residency ... but my father is still there and I -just- got him to try eCigs instead of cigarettes (he's tried for decades to switch including patch, gum, etc but the oral habit + co-workers is too powerful).

Protectionist bills that try to favor one company or industry over a newer one are, in my opinion, anti-American. I hope this goes down in flames.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
I emailed them all and left phone messages last night. I got one lone reply via email from a senator who voted no, saying it had been voted down. I thanked the senator for doing the right thing and he replied just now that he was mistaken and that it had passed. Talk about a swing of emotion, for a moment there, I thought my cynicism of politicians and government may be too strong but obviously not. Dirty money wins the Senate vote.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
As I mentioned in my other thread about the e-cig explosion that happened today here in Oklahoma, I'm sure it is not going to help matters at all. If anything it may outweigh anything we try to do :( As Berylanna said in that other thread, bad timing for this to happen.

I commented on that thread Mike, but I'll cover it here. Personally, I would believe in being proactive and bringing the news piece up, then remind the reps that there are approximately 40 cell phone battery explosions per year here in the U.S. We've only had 2 (news) reported explosions in around 5 years of e-cig history. You can bet they all have cell phones in their pockets and aren't going to be banning them due to faulty batteries.

Last edited:

MaDeuce

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Auburn, OH
Email sent......to every one of them. As a retired soldier whose sole purpose was to defend the rights and freedoms of the citizens of this country, I have a hard time when some stuffed shirt politician tries to tell me what I can and cannot do, especially when I'm harming no one and his campaign coffers are becoming fuller because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread