Old PSU to power a passthrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
Im getting into modding and just general DIY stuff and before I went and started spending cash on a PT and a wall mount AC adapter I wanted to know if I could build both myself. I have a higher gauge USB 2.0 cable from an old keyboard that bit the dust and wondered if I could actually power it with a old used PSU.

The PSU actually has pretty good power. It is a 600W Xion but what caught my eye on it was a rail usually only used on older PSU's which is a +5VSB rail that lists as 3Amp. It is basically the purple wire used to power the unit on and is live at all times if the unit is plugged in and on/connected or not connected to a MB.

If this is the case I could set it up in a little box here at the side of my chair on the floor where it can not be seen and puff away. If anybody has any info on using a old PSU or the link to a thread that would be great. I tried to search but could not find what I was looking for.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
I think that if it is an ATX power supply you might be wasting a bunch of power. USB 1AMP adapters are like $1 on ebay.

Just my thoughts. If it just feeds usb when plugged in, and not powered on then you should be OK, but I think it would be overkill if it works. hehee\

If you feel you need to use this, you could google "ATX pinout", assuming that it is ATX.

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
Well I already tested that purple +5vSB line with a power cord and the switch off and it has power as per the post I read on it so if it had the juice I needed on that like it would not even be switched on. Even if I did have to make a jumper and have it running the draw would be very low. a PSU only really gives ya what it needs and wouldn't be putting out 600W.

If it will work I would take the usb out of the equation and use a higher guage wire and plug directly into the 20 pin connector. I ask because everything I read says you really need a 5v adapter with 2A min to make it work well and if this is 3A I would think it would do the job but I am frankly electrically dumb so wanted to get some advice before trying it hehe.

At the end of the day it just sits there as well as two others of a lower qualty so if I can get this to work ill save the $10 bucks a 2A ac adapter costs. They sell one on ebay for like $5 shipped but its from China and I do not wanna wait the month it says it takes to get here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread