Old-timer wanting back in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyka

Mar 11, 2010
Australia
Hi Folks.
As a tech-curious early-adopting geek, I found e-cigs way back in 2006 (when the tech was almost unheard of) and successfully used them to stop smoking. I last used them back in 2012 when I switch to losengers and then stopped altogether.
With huge recent stress in my life, I fell back to the losengers but actually would prefer to vape nicotine again.
The problem is that I see the range and options available now are huge (i.e I have no idea what 'salts' are) and I really don't feel like trawling through a million threads to find what's good. My stone-age kit was a simple battery with those black 510 tips using dekang RY4 30mg liquid from Eastmall.
So people please just tell me what is currently the consensus for the best of the best in starter-kits (all assembled, as I can't be arsed screwing around with mods etc) and whats around in good RY4 liquids.
I'm in Australia and would prefer to by from China rather the US as not only are the prices better but strangely the stuff from China never had issues with Oz Customs control, where the shipments from America did.
Thanks in advance for your help.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
A lot has changed, certainly. Personally, I would tell you to skip the pods. Reading around, they’re unsatisfying for most people the majority of the time. They have their purpose, but I’d still say skip them because you can do better.

There are a few kits that are a stick type battery with a tank, some are not adjustable wattage, and I’m not a fan.

The Geek vape Flint is a bit adjustable, it has three power settings. Tiny, inexpensive, gives good flavor, battery life isn’t too bad.

I use mine with salts, but it’s fine for freebase, or old school, nic as well.

There are loads of mod kits that are no more complicated than the flint, but you’ll want to note if they are mtl or dl, and fit your vaping style.

All you reall need to know about salts is they are generally used for pods because they have less throat hit, so you can use a higher nic level than freebase. I sometimes use some salts in regular juice for a little more nic but not much added harshness.

You’ll see salts juices as high as 30 and 50 mg/ml. These are to be used at lower wattage, too strong for sub ohms.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
CF91BE5D-E8F5-4450-A098-41BBCAE0CECF.jpeg
Here are my Flints. Assembled, it’s the same size as a 30ml chubby gorilla bottle minus the top.

In the box, you can see how it comes, charge it, Prime the coil, fill the tank, and screws the tank on. Click 5x to turn on/off, 3x to switch from low-medium-high.

Pretty simple.

And you can get them from fasttech (China).

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
So wait... I am reading the geekvape flint is designed for salts.

Hi Zyka and welcome :) Salts are just simply nicotine freebas which has been turned into a salt. This makes it much smoother so you can vape it in a small device at much higher concentration than you would normally with freebase (normal nic). It doesn't matter what device you use either of them in except that you wouldn't vape a very high strength salt in a direct to lung high wattage, low ohm vape device because it may make you sick.

@DeloresRose has suggested a really good kit which you can use for either. She'll know more about the tank but i'm assuming it's mouth to lung which basically is a vaping style similar to drawing on a cigarette.

Another good starter kit is the Kroma Zenith kit which is also mouth to lung.

Hope this helps :)

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
"Designed for nicotine salts" is just marketing. The Flint (or any other "salt" device) will operate just fine with either nicotine salts or freebase nicotine --- I use freebase in mine.

Nicotine salts is just nicotine with a slightly different chemical structure (actually more like the naturally occuring nicotine in plants), formed by combining freebase nicotine (what we've all been using up to a couple years ago) with an acid.

The most notable effect is that this lowers the PH and reduces the throat hit of the nicotine, allowing one to comfortably use much higher levels of nicotine without hurting their throat.

This can be a plus for those trying to quit with low powered devices like many current pod devices (or cigalike devices). However, if you need throat hit as part of your vaping experience (I do), then even 50mg nic-salt can feel like puffing flavored air and may not be satisfying (even while supplying plenty of nicotine).

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thanks Delrose! - so how does this recharge? Do I need spare batts? How long do the coils last?

It’s internal, and comes with a usb charger. And like everyone said, you can use freebase in it. I’m using salts because it is mtl, and I normally dl. So I use Flint for our and about mostly. Not a big hit. So to keep from chain vaping I use a much higher nic than usual.

Normally I’m at 6 mg dl and I am using 25mg salts in the flint.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not the biggest pod fan either.

If you want something simple, reliable and good, the Innoken Kroma is a good choice.

Nic salts are FINE when tailored to how your tank performs. 60 mg/ml nic salts are undesirable in almost anything but the weak delivery system of the juul for example while more robust setups well you just lower the nic content. I made a bunch of nic salt juices DIY for lack of throat hit, mine was torn up when I got here.

Best of luck and welcome back!

Anna

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So people please just tell me what is currently the consensus for the best of the best in starter-kits (all assembled, as I can't be arsed screwing around with mods etc) and whats around in good RY4 liquids.

Welcome back, old-timer! :D

Two popular setups for beginners or those who want a user-friendly gear are Zenith Kroma kit (you can also buy the tank and mod separately) and Innokin Endura T18 if you prefer tube mods, just make sure you get version II (3 wattage settings). and Endura T18 II Starter Kit by Innokin

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hello and welcome back. From what I have heard, the new systems that are considered starter kits are good for what they do. I personally have been using the same gear for about the last year, so I'm not that familiar with what is available. It sounds like you have received some excellent advice. Now you just need to make a decision. If you would like to make a more informed decision, here is a link on the pod systems:
Vape Pod Systems

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Nic salts are a ph balanced nicotine. I use 35mg and there is practically no throat hit. If you were at 30mg before then salts might be for you. I have a Geekvape Flint kit I am about to loan to a buddy who is trying to get off the smokes. It is a great beginners setup imo. It's cheap and simple and works really well for what it is.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
So wait... I am reading the geekvape flint is designed for salts. What the hell are salts anyway? Will something like Ripe Vapes VCT liquid even work in this?
You can use salt mods with regular nic. A lot of them suggest at least 50%PG so it can wick properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread