Old-Timey Candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannannagans

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
Alabama USA
So my boyfriend got into a heated debate the other night (not really heated, just playful banter) about what we considered "old-timey" candy. I was buying eliquid for us, and he asked if they had ____, and I insisted that he was an "old soul," which sparked an "old-timey" candy debate. I don't want to tell you the flavor yet because we're trying to see who was right and who was wrong because we continued to argue over which candies were more "old timey" than others.

What type of candy do you consider, "old-timey?" And it's not necessarily the candy that your grandmother pulled out of her purse covered in tissue fuzz.

Also, yes, we have no lives and these are the types of arguments we get into.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Gosh, I don't know that I remember the names of them, but Brach's Candies came to mind when I think of old-timey candies.
They had butterscotch discs, cinnamon discs, peppermints, Neapolitan Coconut candies.

UNLESS......"Old" to you is like Bottlecaps, Pop Rocks, Pixie Stix...

I'll see if I can wrangle some peeps to come help!

Digimon2k

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
www.deejstuff.com
Ooooo! Interesting thread!

The 1920's brought us Abba Zabba and Butterfinger...

The 30's brought 3 Musketeers...

The 40's saw Almond Joy hit the shelves...

In keeping with fears of the time, the 50's saw Atomic Fireballs come on the market (one of my personal favorites). Andes Chocolate Mints also came out then. Oh... and I was born in the 50's, so the 50's had the bestest candy EVAH!

The $100,000 (100 Grand) bar came out in the 60's I believe (back when that was a lot of money...)

The 70's was sweet with Blow Pops...

The 80's gave us Airheads (no comment)...

And the 90's introduced Baby Bottle Pops.

I won't go into the 2000's and higher... I can't consider anything after 1999 to be Old Timey... :laugh:

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Can't believe no one has mentioned candy cigarettes!

LOL! Oh yeah, those were popular with the 10 and under crowd!!! :laugh:
    Had a truck driver toss me some Necco wafer's from his truck one day, right into my front yard!
    Man you talk about an excited kid!!!
    Course nowdays that wouldn't be safe ... as Cags always says... so, I'm old ....:laugh:

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    LOL! Oh yeah, those were popular with the 10 and under crowd!!! :laugh:
    Had a truck driver toss me some Necco wafer's from his truck one day, right into my front yard!
    Man you talk about an excited kid!!!
    Course nowdays that wouldn't be safe ... as Cags always says... so, I'm old ....:laugh:
    ....ehh, so we're old!! Beats the alternative!!!:p

Iffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    BUT, do you remember the ones that weren't gum. There was a stick candy type too. I remember both.

That's why I said candy. If my gum didn't have a baseball/football card, I wouldn't buy it!!!
    nono.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread