OMG VV Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
I finally got my OMG VV and decided to write a review. This is my first ever review so please bare with me. I may ramble at times, but generally there is a purpose for my ramblings.....see i'm doing it already. Also for anyone that doesn't know me I have been vaping since '09 but have only been using V4L stick batteries until recently. About 3 Weeks ago I got the OMG All Day. I am now 100% off cigarettes again(3 weeks yesterday!!! yay me!). Well that set off a chain of purchases. Now I have a couple VV devices and 2 more on the way. And again with the rambling...can't say I didn't warn you! Oh yeah and I am sorry about possible spelling and grammar errors.

First I would like to say that I will be referencing other vendors products in this review. Mainly just for the purpose of comparison, or because it is a product V4L does not currently sell. I won't respond to any questions about non V4L products if you ask in this thread. If you wanna know about any of the devices or products I reference or have a question about where to get them just PM me. Also I have no technical data. I'll let Mr. Morandir do that. I don't have the proper equipment. Also at the point of this review I have only had the OMG VV for like 15 hours, but I used it pretty much exclusively at work(10.5 hours). So I have a pretty solid first impression.

So yeah, with that out of the way on to the review:

My OMG VV finally showed up today(8/23/12) after not so patiently waiting almost a full week, when normally shipments from V4L only take a couple days. If you haven't seen my thread about that go check it out! The unit has a metal battery tube and a plastic power head with what seems to be a thin metal coating on it. And a metal battery cap with 2 vent holes and a plastic cover on it. I really don't like that the battery cap is plastic, other than the threads. When you tighten the battery cap on it feels like you can over-tighten it and the plastic part will come off. I can already see part of the metal showing in the vent holes so the plastic part is turning already. Time will tell how that goes. The threads do feel pretty good. Really no squeaking when you put it on like some other devices. I really like the display. Very easy to read and very easy to navigate the options. Especially compared to my V2 Young June tube, but I like the display of my 18650 VV Gripper much better. The VV Gripper just seems clearer and easier to navigate. The difference is purely a personal opinion. The display on the OMG VV is very nice, I just like the other a very little bit more. I really wish the OMG VV had the ability to check the ohms of the attached cart/atty. I find this very useful in the other devices I own. Plus with everything the OMG VV does I really don't know why the OEM didn't add that. Now being that I can check my resistance on my other devices it really doesn't matter that much to me cause I know what each tank has in it. Oh yeah and that reminds me. All I use(at this time) is the tanks V4L sells, and Boge 3.0ohm carts, from another vendor. I only use them to try flavors to see if I want to put them in a tank. If not I just use it to change things up for a bit if I am starting to get sick of a flavor or just want a change. Also when you take the head off or change the battery the puff counter and the time/date reset. Why even put the time/date on if its just going to reset. You will be taking the battery out pretty much every day. In my opinion that's just stupid. I'm not even going to bother setting it though. It doesn't effect how the device works so really it don't matter that much I guess. And I will only be using the puff counter to see how long the battery lasts, to how many puffs I take. So that also doesn't effect me either.

First I put in the battery from my OMG all day. It was freshly charged and looks to be identical to the battery that comes with the OMG VV. Also I put the included battery on the charger(I use a Sysmax i4 charger. I decided to add this since V4L doesn't sell a charger for 18500 batteries and I feel that a intelligent charger is a much better and safer option for charging over the included charger. The included charger works just fine. I just like to be safe and the 4 ports sure is convenient! If anyone from V4L is reading this I highly recommend selling a intelligent charger!) It had good vapor production, but it does seems as though the the voltage is off from what the display says. Since I don't have a way to check it I can't say for sure. More on this later. Then the device did some weird things. First the puff counter reset its self. After that it worked for a few puffs then wouldn't fire the cart. I took the head off, put it back on and since then it has been working fine. Not sure what that was all about, but it hasn't done that since. Now it was time to go to work so I pulled out a freshly charged Efest IMR 18500 battery I had charged and waiting for this to show up. I like the E-fest IMR batteries and they are the only IMR batteries I use. I recommend them to anyone looking for a great IMR battery. I feel IMR is the best way to go for VV devices. The included battery works fine, I just feel IMRs work better. I was only using the other battery so I didn't use too much of my IMR before work because I had planned on only using the OMG VV at work so I could write this review, and I didn't know how long the battery would last.

Now of course I had to have a busy day at work! I didn't get to use the OMG VV as much as I normally would, but still got a good chance to try some things and compare some stuff. After about 11 hours the puff counter was at 209 and I still had 3 bars left on the battery indicator. Even though I didn't get to vape as much as I normally would have I still feel that is a very good amount of battery life. Very impressed with that. I compared vapor and throat hit to my V2 Young June tube and my VV Gripper. Now those 2 use Pulse Width Modulation(PWM). Because of that they can seem to be at a higher voltage than they are really set at because it is a average. I'm not going to go into PWM there is a lot of good info out there about it. Now I don't know if the OMG VV uses PWM. I tried to find this info but couldn't find it anywhere and as I said I don't have any what to check it myself. So with that said the OMG VV seems to be at a lower voltage than it is set at. I put a 1.5ohm DC tank with 24mg WOW Vapor mango on my VV Gripper set it to 4.4volts, which is my sweet spot for this tank/juice. Then I put that tank on the OMG VV. To get the same vapor and throat hit I had to set the OMG VV at 5.0volts. This seemed consistent for my 2.0ohm DC tank with 18mg Strawberry. I put that on my VV gripper and set it to my sweet spot 5.0volts. Then on the OMG VV I had to set it to 5.6volts to get about the same vapor and throat hit. Things got really weird though when I put my Boge 3.0 single coil cart on. With V4L 24mg Blueberry juice in it. On my VV Gripper I set it to 3.5volts. Then on the OMG VV I set it to 3.7volts to get the same vapor and throat hit. This is consistent with my OMG all day. I generally just use them on it because they work best for me in the volt range of just a battery. So that is really weird. I actually expected to have to set it higher on the OMG VV so I had first set it to 4.5volts and almost burnt up the cart.

Well I think that is about it for this review. All in all I like the OMG VV. There is a few little issues, which could just be mine, but I feel it is a good device and would recommend it to anyone looking for a budget VV device! Especially with V4Ls warranty. I don't believe any of the minor issues I have had so far will become a reason to have to send it back. Just little things you have to get used to. But in the price range, $99.96 for the device, battery, charger 2 tanks and 2 bottles of juice I don't think you can go wrong!

Thanks for reading this and I hope it helped anyone that might have been on the fence about getting one. Honestly the only reason I got the OMG VV was cause a friend wanted a couple tanks and 2 bottles of juice so we split the cost of this package. He got a deal and I got a deal. I am very happy I did it and am happy to add the OMG VV to my stable of VV devices!

Dirtay J

EDIT: As I was writing this I had another little issue. When I got home from work I put my Efest IMR 18500 batteries on the charger so they would be fresh for tomorrow and put the included, and now fully charged, battery in. Seems whenever I let it sit for awhile the puff counter resets. No other issues and the only reason I noticed was I looked at it and it said I had only taken 9 puffs. I had the battery in for about 3 hours now and even though I was using my other devices too(got a different flavor on each :) )I know I had taken more than 9 puffs. This did not happen at all while I had the Efest IMR battery in while I was at work. I was constantly looking at the puff count to keep a track of it, because I had the same issue earlier and to watch how many puffs I was getting on the battery.

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the kind words! After I got done typing i couldn't believe how much I wrote. And after another day I still really like this device! My VV gripper is still my go to, but the OMG VV is usually with me too. And I almost ordered another today just to have the blue one too. Actually I would have if the 30% off summer sale that included "Everything, yup everything" actually included EVERYTHING!. $75.00 for the base kit is a bit much for me being that I wouldn't use the battery or charger(not a bad price if you need them!) but as I said in the review $99.96 for it and 2 30ml bottles of juice and 2 tanks is a great price. So that plus 30% off and yeah, I would have a blue one on the way.

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
I just ordered one today. With a 3+ hour charge I was wondering if someone could suggest a spare battery to use and would I need a new charger? Can you suggest a retailer or provide a link?

AW is a great battery, but I have had amazing luck out of the Efest line of IMR batteries!! this is if you go the IMR route. sending a PM with battery and charger info.

Jinx10000

Aug 29, 2012
US
Thanks Morandir and Dirty Jay. Sir by the way.
I should probably ask elsewhere but I will ask one more battery related question. I assume the IMR batteries require an intelligent charger because they don't have an onboard circuit and that the protected batteries have onboard protection against overcharging and short circuiting.
What's the advantages of IMR? I'm guessing price and higher current draw.

Great reviews by the way. Wish I had read them before I bought the unit I might have looked around more.

Last edited:

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Jinx sir in the OMG VV unit there isn't much gain from using the imr batts. Mainly accuracy (will bump the technical review). With imr batts you do want an intelligent charger because of the lack of protection. Protected batts have higher mah but lower c ratings (amperage output). Know Dirtay J sent you a pm with a link to the i4 intellicharger and efest 18500imr from CCV, but it's overkill on this mod (own both those batteries and charger, they are good, but when I bought them they were for other mods and testing purposes). Aw makes the best protected batts on the market, just go with one of those and you'll be fine. Cheaper than buying new charger and batts....

Am I right that's what you sent him Dirtay J sir? :)

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
yep thats what I PMed him. Just said that if he goes the IMR route that they are great options. I don't know much about protected batteries as I only use IMRs. Either way I think the i4 is a excellent charger anyways. Especially If you have more than 2 batteries! and generally(not always) if you get one mod there will be more in your future. So having a charger you can grow with is a great idea. I'm thinking about getting another one. I usually have all my mods with me at work with different flavors on them so I can just grab a different one and go instead of having to change flavors all the time. Same goes for at home. So Every couple days I am charging 4 or more batteries. plus soon I will be getting a couple Vmaxs and a Zmax when it comes out. Might wait on the Zmax because of STs horrible reputation with first gen models. But I also know me and know I wont be able to wait! lol

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
I did a little more testing with the omg vv this weekend being that it was a 3 day weekend. I really wanted to figure out the random shutting off issue i was having, along with other people, with the stock protected battery. Well i tried various batteries. The stock, stock from OMGad and a couple Efest IMR. I checked the voltage before and after of each battery. I couldn't test output voltage because my equipment for that isn't here yet. All I could go off was taste. First with the vv`s stock battery fully charged at 4.22volts. Worked good but every so often it would reset. But that was all. It never jumped around as I was holding the fire button. All in all ok, but the resetting was very annoying. After about a hour it was down to 4.09volts. Next was the OMGad stock battery. Same, off the charger at 4.23volts. Same with random annoying resets. But also did some jumping around as the fire button was held. To the point of becoming extremely annoying. Seemed the longer I left the battery in the worse it got. And it showed on the ending volts to. Came out at 4.14volts after about 1 hour. Then went to the Efest IMR. I wasn't even going to test it because it is the battery I always use in the omg vv but i did to be fair. This battery came off the charger at 4.21 volts. I had no issue at all with the device. Always fired and never reset. The puff counter did reset once, but my set volts never changed. The battery came out at about 4.02volts. So yeah I am still unsure what is truly causing the issue, but there is a issue with the omg vv on non IMR batteries. If you are having a issue with the omg vv doing this i recommend trying a IMR battery. Either AW or Efest are the top 2 brands. But remember if you get IMR batteries you will need a better charger. As I have said before I recommend the i4 intellicharger. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread